My Toy in Perth - AE86 Trueno

Vivioman

All the Australian delivered AE86 were called Sprinters and came with fixed front headlights in the style of the AE86 Levin body shape, and came standard with 4AC (carburetted engines).

I'm not sure of this but I think Singapore-delivered examples had a first-generation bigport 4A-GE engine.

The Trueno front end is probably grafted on later on as is likely the engine.

In any case, a rust-free tidy example of this car fetches 2-3 times to its 1983 contemporaries. Its commonly called "Takumi Tax". Even rusted bodyshell-only cars have no trouble finding buyers who hope to restore it.

Edited by Ncp91

This car was a jap import. Not Levin with grafted Treuno front end.

Still has the puny 1.5L engine with auto! [dizzy] 4AGE silver top (most likely) and 5 speed manual conversion to be done together with suspension upgrades in the future.

Rust in usual areas, but it's one of the cleaner examples I've managed to find in Perth.

Got it just below A$6K (incl "Takumi Tax") [sweatdrop]

Edited by Vivioman

Not too sure how easy it is to get the required conversion parts, because what I know is that the 86 is the last car to use the 4A-series engine in the longitudinal (and RWD) configuration , which meant that the exhaust manifolds and the transmission was also mounted differently to later cars like AE101 and AE111 (donors of silver and blacktop engines).

If your local JDM importer has plenty of AE86 half-cuts then it should be dead easy to get the required parts, don't forget to get the LSD too. [:)]

Being an original AT car is good, it probably means the car didn't have as hard a life as the MT cars probably have had.

Hey bro seems like you know your toyotas! [:)]

Yeah 4AGE is no problem to get here, my mech has one engine lying in his workshop but alas it's not a silvertop.

I'm just taking my time to decide the best combo that I want and which 4AGE to go with, but one thing for sure is that the car will be N/A. I did consider the 4AGZE but don't think I want a supercharged engine in the Trueno...

[:p]

100kW red top if you want to stay faithful to the type of engine that came original with the AE86 chassis. It is also not hard to find, because the AE82 and AE92 SX-spec Australian domestic Corollas came standard with these 100kW 4A-GE engines. Your car looks very close to original and I think it would keep its value better being fitted with period-style components and mods.

You are right....my car is almost 100% original right now, the only part which is probably not original is the headunit [laugh]

I wanna restore it to as original as possible rather than make it into a full on drift machine like many others have.

Thats cheap... anyway, this car will look nice with the takumi stickers on the outside... Defn boosts your resale value, and that look when initial D fans look at your car. [jawdrop][jawdrop] *did i just witness takumi taking the corners?* [laugh][laugh]

You answered your own question. [:)] Get a 1st generation 4A-GE, rebuild it from bare engine block up while it is still outside the car, fix and replace all wear and tear parts, so basically you're starting with a brand new zero-mileage car.

And install a good security system while you're at it. Good luck, I hope you keep this car for a long while to come.

That was exactly what my mech recommended, except he wanted to put in a silvertop 20V [laugh]

I'm basically building up this car and if it can last as long as I want it to, I will pass it on to my son when he is old enough to drive (which is quite a few years from now and the car will be a vintage by then!) [sweatdrop]