Shock Experience With Local Distributor Workshop

T3march

Neutral Newbie

Hi all

Just want to share with u guys what I've encountered and hope u won't repeat the same mistake as me.

At almost 5yrs' milege, my car suddenly experience engine startup difficulties. I then go change the battery (anyway its time to change) but problem don't go away. My second option was to service the throttle body.

Just as i was abt to do so, engine check light turns on and off during my drive and eventually, my boost meter shows Zero bar. Immediately i suspect there is a leak. However I couldn't spot any loose hose and have no choice but to drive to the Distributor

Workshop. I drive back to them because 6mths ago, they did my timming belt change.

Here comes the main part of story. SA told me my throttle body may need to change and my ECU need to change. Total damage over 5k. I was shock. He mentioned, after replace with their new ECU, everything becomes okay, and later put back my ECU, engine check light turn on.

I told him ECU seldom spoil, the most burnt out cannot work only mah. I then ask him how many ECU he replace b4, he said mine is the first case. I'm definately not convinced.

I drove my car out to my other workshop and seek for expert's help. Then a vacuum hose was spoted hanging after a full throttle at neutral gear. The sudden high rev actually forced my semi breaking hose to totally break off and come loose.

The hose was refitted and everything goes back to normal.

So much for our local Distributor Workshop.

↡ Advertisement

Can name the distributor [sly] ?i think its good that u went for 2nd opinion,i do believe that that alot of owners rather believe the SA than to other workshop coz they always think the distributor wont go wrong [thumbsdown] .

most of the distributor workshop don't know what they r doing...belly common, the most they do everyday is servicing only. even there is a recall, i think there is job instructions for them to carry out the job

becos most of the experienced mechanics have gone out to open own workshop or go somewhere where their experience are more appreciated.. [rolleyes]

seriously speaking,i bought my brand new car abt 1 1/2 yrs ago,i only did 2 service at the so call distribuitor workshop,it really sucks big time [shakehead] .have been servicing my car at outside work shop which is cheaper and more reliable [thumbsup] .by the way,i find most outside workshop can deal with normal jap or korean car and the spare parts are much cheaper [nod] .anyway this is my own opinion.

Neutral Newbie

Similar to my father's experience.

Unstable idle, service advisor suspect drive by wire faulty. $6000 out the pocket turns out to be Air flow meter.

Nice one. [rolleyes]

after reading posts like this, i'm almost certain i'm getting my next ride from a PI on MCF or my dad's PI contact

i dun think they will give full warranty like AD, but then again, i dun have much faith in the warranty from AD either. the cost of "maintaining" the warranty isn't worth it. think of it as "mechanical insurance", but unlike motor insurance which can be more cutthroat, u dun actually have to buy this "mechanical insurance" from the AD

besides, i'd mod my ride [lipsrsealed]

Neutral Newbie

Your insurance is only useful if the man behind the job knows his stuff.

If you have a look at BMW, Mercedes, ABC forums, there will always be people complaining about servicing issues. You need to know the right people and stick to him/her for all your servicing requirements. Wouldn't hurt to know a few mechanics too. They always have interesting tales to share about the management and service advisers. [laugh]

If you don't intend to keeping your car stock, you won't need the warranty. In most cases outside mechanics are more knowledgeable than dealers.

I think experience counts. Anyway the SA gives you a solution based on the problems you had mentioned. So your description is kinda important also.

Very much like seeing a doctor. You have to give info on your condition, the symptoms you are experiencing before he can prescribe a cure. But if even you yourself can't put a finger on what's wrong with yourself, the doctor will have to run many test just to find out what is exactly wrong.

So unless you have technical knowledge and experience on cars, your life will be much easier with the authorised workshop.

Neutral Newbie

the clue is. one of showrooms with most tc models. me driving slow car, pai seh to mention . my technical no gd. maybe explain no clear.but engine check light turn on. sa should be able to guess at 50% wat fault is based on error code

Not really, my trusted mech eventually turned on me and cheated on me. thumbsdown.gifshakehead.gif If u read my post on idling and AT you would know that at lousy times like now some of the most trusted ppl can turn on you. Maybe I was just plain unlucky.

↡ Advertisement