Was there an Ikea at Marine Parade?

Ahtong

Can someone help me confirm? I seem to recall that back in the 1980s, there was an Ikea in the Marine Parade area? Nearby was also a Cold Storage in a stand alone building?

↡ Advertisement

Yup, if i didnt remember wrongly it should be ard Katong area.

Any idea of its exact location? In Singapore land is redeveloped so quickly. Sometimes I try to look for landmarks I visited during childhood but it's as if someone had magically removed everything with a giant eraser.

Do you live in the East? Got one supermarket called Tay Ban Guan also disappeared?

Any idea of its exact location? In Singapore land is redeveloped so quickly. Sometimes I try to look for landmarks I visited during childhood but it's as if someone had magically removed everything with a giant eraser.

Do you live in the East? Got one supermarket called Tay Ban Guan also disappeared?

yup.. there was an ikea near to parkway.. its near to the round about... there is an amber hotel near the round about rite? its diagonally op the hotel. i think there was a cold storage there as well.

Supercharged

Can someone help me confirm? I seem to recall that back in the 1980s, there was an Ikea in the Marine Parade area? Nearby was also a Cold Storage in a stand alone building?

Last time, it was Fritzpatrick's. They were at Amber Road. a stand alone building with a big open car park.

Ikea? i cant recall this......

Tay Ban Guan was at Katong area, behind the famous red building. Access was from behind, one of those small lanes.

Well, old memories......

http://yesterday.sg/detail/old_katong_sequ...o_tay_ban_guan/

At katong....

it was at Tay Buan Guan building.... a 3 storey structure... first floor was cold storage and ikea occupies the 2nd and 3rd floor. Before cold storage and ikea came about, the first 2 floors were yaohan

Thanks for clearing up the details. Speaking of Yaohan, that's another retailer that has disappeared. IIRC, Yaohan was an original tenant of Parkway Parade occupying the space where Best Denki currently is.

Another old place I miss is the old Capitol cinema. It is the site of my very first pak tor. [inlove] I remember the cinema interior is very old school and the ceiling has a mosiac of zodiac characters. If I'm not wrong it even had balcony seats??

Then the OG at People's Park used to have an in-house restaurant. The special thing about this restaurant is they served meals on army style metal plates. As a kid, I thought the plates was very nice and could never understand why my dad was disgusted with them. :D

parkway parade used to have an amusement park on the top floor..... had carousels and quite a few carnival rights [:p] There was also a Hardy's burger at the basement .......

parkway parade used to have an amusement park on the top floor..... had carousels and quite a few carnival rights [:p] There was also a Hardy's burger at the basement .......

That is Ken Air Funworld! There was also a fast food outlet inside called Texas Fried Chicken where the condiment was honey sauce! [bounce2]

Speaking of Funworld suddenly reminds me of an incident. My friend and I used to go Funworld for the shooting gallery. The game was exciting because if you hit a target, it will squirt water back at you. Got one time I sabo my friend by shooting a target in front of him. He ducked the spray of water just in time but it hit another player who screamed "####! Who shot me?"

Later the 2 of us were laughing loudly on the escalator when this fat girl in front turned to stare daggers at us. She was still wiping her dripping wet face with tissue. [laugh]

Yes TBG was demolished sometime back. Became a billiard saloon.

And my favourite was oriental emporium.

As for the Yaohan, i think i rem there was a aquarium or crocodile farm next to it.

Edited by Galantspeedz

Thanks for clearing up the details. Speaking of Yaohan, that's another retailer that has disappeared. IIRC, Yaohan was an original tenant of Parkway Parade occupying the space where Best Denki currently is.

Another old place I miss is the old Capitol cinema. It is the site of my very first pak tor. [inlove] I remember the cinema interior is very old school and the ceiling has a mosiac of zodiac characters. If I'm not wrong it even had balcony seats??

Then the OG at People's Park used to have an in-house restaurant. The special thing about this restaurant is they served meals on army style metal plates. As a kid, I thought the plates was very nice and could never understand why my dad was disgusted with them. :D

Balcony seats see outside leh... [laugh]

I think it's called Circle Seats. Watching movie was cheap $3.50 or is it $5??