People carriers - not safe in a rear impact

macrosszero

Just watched Fifth Gear's feature on 7 seater MPVs getting rear ended by a lorry going 40mph.

http://fifthgear.five.tv/jsp/5gmain.jsp?mn...tion=Crash+Test

The results are not pretty. Some people comment that if the headrests were up, it wouldn't be that bad, though. I would think that hatchbacks like Jazz, Swift, Yaris, Aveo, etc wouldn't fare much better.

Edited by Macrosszero
↡ Advertisement

This has always been my question too.

U see so many wish stream on the road. I wonder how the extreme rear occupant can survive a collision with a lorry

No need to worry about rear impact and crash test performance.

I'm more worried about the parents in these cars not using child seats and/or letting their kids run around inside the car and/or having the kids sitting and standing on the lap of the front passenger.

No point buying car with great crash ratings and 2 million airbags when the basic safety is ignored.

Oh I forgot...bad things always happen to other people. It won't happen to them. They not so suay.

• Praise 3

my uncle who was a mechanics told us once, try not to buy cars without a boot, cos throughout the years he has seen what rear end collusion can do to the back of those cars. i guess there is some truth in that.

my uncle who was a mechanics told us once, try not to buy cars without a boot, cos throughout the years he has seen what rear end collusion can do to the back of those cars. i guess there is some truth in that.

Not always true

A Honda hit the rear of my Daihatsu hatchback many years ago. The Honda's front end was smashed but the damage to my rear was minimal.

Does it include SUV?

SUV also not boot

Depends on the seats capacity itself. usually SUVs are 5 seaters, so as to say, its more or less a wagon except for the higher ride height.

in another words, it actually have a boot or so called 'crumple zone'. rear windscreen mostly will chui ones are those with a spare tyre on the rear door ones.

if those +2 or 7 seaters SUVs then i guess its similar to MPVs lor...

post-106975-0-60565900-1390661727_thumb.jpg

• Praise 2

I ever came accross a hwz chap who mentioned that it may not be the case for hatches. This is because, for a similar model that has both sedan & hatch, the hatch almost always weigh more. Eg, Kia Rio, Maz 3.

Depends on the car also. A friends stream crash into the back of a matrix. Visually, the Matrix only had a broken rear bumper & slight cave in of the rear. The stream on the other hand, bumper cui, headlights smash bonnet become hill shaped, radiator gone ......

Think both cars weight About >1350kg by kerb weight.

U see so many wish stream on the road. I wonder how the extreme rear occupant can survive a collision with a lorry

If I had a people carrier like the above 2, it would be reserved for non immediate & non family members...

In my case, whenever gated at normal traffic speeds of > 50,, i will change lane out & come back again after the potential murderer has passed.

Thats why the 3rd row of seats in the MPV is usually not used. If its used, u can usually see the maid sitting there.

Depends on the car also. A friends stream crash into the back of a matrix. Visually, the Matrix only had a broken rear bumper & slight cave in of the rear. The stream on the other hand, bumper cui, headlights smash bonnet become hill shaped, radiator gone ......

Think both cars weight About >1350kg by kerb weight.

If I had a people carrier like the above 2, it would be reserved for non immediate & non family members...

In my case, whenever gated at normal traffic speeds of > 50,, i will change lane out & come back again after the potential murderer has passed.

Korean cars have thicker gauge steel for the body panels. That give a bit more protection.

Usually in a rear-ended collision, the front part of the behind car will suffer more damage. That's because of the crumple zone, which happens to house the engine, radiators etc.....thus make it looks more serious. Also, when braking, the front will dipped downwards, therefore the impact will be on the radiator, engine also.

The back of the car usually is made tougher especially behind the bumper area.

So behind car usually more damage. Not because of Korean metal or European or japs metal superior etc.

• Praise 1

Usually in a rear-ended collision, the front part of the behind car will suffer more damage. That's because of the crumple zone, which happens to house the engine, radiators etc.....thus make it looks more serious. Also, when braking, the front will dipped downwards, therefore the impact will be on the radiator, engine also.

The back of the car usually is made tougher especially behind the bumper area.

So behind car usually more damage. Not because of Korean metal or European or japs metal superior etc.

actually now passenger cars are resigned and make safer then those 20 years back...but that time the metal used on those cars are super solid compared to the tin can metal used today...i once used my fist to hammer my friend's dad very old VW beetle the metal didnt even make a dent! now you try waxing your car press too hard and the metal will cave in [thumbsdown]

apple to apple comparison...i guess when a passenger car rear end another passenger car, the end car's frontal safety design will kick in... crumple zone absorbed the energy and thus limiting the damage to the front car rear end.

I guess the question is what will happen when a lorry or bus were to impact a passenger car rear end?? the equation now will more likely be a apple to durian comparison leow...in that instance i guess a passenger with a boot is better off than one without a boot to cushion the stronger impact....i dunno abt the industry but seems that lots of video on safety test done on cars are normally a passenger to passenger collusion type test or crash into wall type test....never see they use a SBS bus, trailer or lorry inside ley [laugh]

Good strategy!!

Thats why the 3rd row of seats in the MPV is usually not used. If its used, u can usually see the maid sitting there.

Korean cars have thicker gauge steel for the body panels. That give a bit more protection.

MILs reading this will know where not to sIT when going out in suv or mpv of SIL or DIL!!!! Edited by Super7

actually now passenger cars are resigned and make safer then those 20 years back...but that time the metal used on those cars are super solid compared to the tin can metal used today...i once used my fist to hammer my friend's dad very old VW beetle the metal didnt even make a dent! now you try waxing your car press too hard and the metal will cave in [thumbsdown]

apple to apple comparison...i guess when a passenger car rear end another passenger car, the end car's frontal safety design will kick in... crumple zone absorbed the energy and thus limiting the damage to the front car rear end.

I guess the question is what will happen when a lorry or bus were to impact a passenger car rear end?? the equation now will more likely be a apple to durian comparison leow...in that instance i guess a passenger with a boot is better off than one without a boot to cushion the stronger impact....i dunno abt the industry but seems that lots of video on safety test done on cars are normally a passenger to passenger collusion type test or crash into wall type test....never see they use a SBS bus, trailer or lorry inside ley [laugh]

Even though crash tests may not include a truck rear-ending a sedan/hatchback/mpv etc, in day to day driving here we do see speeding trucks tailgating the cars in front quite often. As these trucks are less likely to stop in time when the car in front has an emergency hard braking, they will rear-end it and crush the rear passengers which have little protection if there is no boot to act as a buffer!!! Edited by Super7

Alamak, I was trying not to say that.... [grin]

Good strategy!!

MILs reading this will know where not to sIT when going out in suv or mpv of SIL or DIL!!!!

MIL/FIL should understand lah. Its their granchildren afterall.

What I will do ( which I have done anyway for my 5 seater ) if I had a mpv, I will ensure my Childseats are always secured there in centre row regardless. So in a way, makes things more "natural"...

MILs reading this will know where not to sIT when going out in suv or mpv of SIL or DIL!!!!

Or they wil finally ustand why their so nice son in law always prepare the last row seat for her.

↡ Advertisement