Tamiya airspraying for car models

Strawberrypink

hi all,

am currently working on a car model assembly project (hobby).

need some help and suggestion on the colour airspraying of the chassis.

am using 'pure white' for the model. was wondering if there's any technique to spray to make the colour 'smoother' without patches.

thanks a million...

Edited by Strawberrypink
↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

you're using airbrush right? spray 2-3 layers of base paint(of the colour you want)..then buy those transparent 'primer' and spray until you get the gloss effect you want..

Edited by Shull

hi all,

am using 'pure white' for the model. was wondering if there's any technique to spray to make the colour 'smoother' without patches.

thanks a million...

if you got no experience, you need to actually practice and get the techinque right... how much to spray, how long to dry etc...

just pure white should be quite simple.. just get the paint distribution right and evenly

you're using airbrush right? spray 2-3 layers of base paint(of the colour you want)..then buy those transparent 'primer' and spray until you get the gloss effect you want..

Actually with air brush after the multi coat, u dun really need to do the clear coat. Can use the Tamiya model car wax [thumbsup]

i've done car models b4, juz when it comes to the spraying, i will mess it up alittle here and there.

cant seem to get tat even tone....

maybe i'll try alittle by little at every coat.

den do it for 3 to 4 times...

i've done car models b4, juz when it comes to the spraying, i will mess it up alittle here and there.

If you are using airbrush, it means you mix your own paint. Patchy paint work will happen when the paint is thin too much creating a thin coat of white. If the white is thin correctly, it should cover the body nicely. I would spray the car with a base coat of light grey followed by the white. i wouldn't pile on too many layers of white.

hi all,

thanks a million...

Suggest you use paints like Gunza, they cost a little more, (Vivocity model shop has them) but the colors are far better them Tamiya.

You will need to apply, aka spray on a primer, which is aka the base color, it's sort of light blue in color, then sand it smooth upon drying, (use Gunza thinner as well, if need further help, can PM me.) after sanding, wash clean, leave to dry and then spray on your first coat of paint. Do a second coat, let dry, then use the rubbing compound, (Gunza brand as well, paste in a tube like toothpaste) to rub out any impurities that may have settled or occured during the spraying.

Do up another coat and go on to, (personal preference) 4 coats of paint. Rubbing compound after each coat if needed. finish off with 2 coats of clear coat, which is like a varnish. Thinning of paint will roughlt be 2 part thinner, 1 part paint.

What airbrush are you using?

Hope this helps.

And yes, I do airbrushing of models, have two airbrushes. One being Tamiya. Stopped already. No time.

All paints used were Gunza.

White is not an easy colour to spray because it is so light. Would advise you to put down a base coat.

To get a nice even spray, apply many light coats rather than 1 thick layer. Move the spray swiftly in one direction across the surface and don't concentrate fire on 1 area for too long.

If using gloss paint, only spray on a dry, sunny day otherwise the finished paintjob will not be as shiny. If suay it may even fog up.

hi all,

thanks a million...

Technique depends on whether you are using air-brush or spray cans. If spray cans, be sure to keep the nozzle clean, dip the can in a tub of hot water for few minutes before use.

For air-brush, again, keep nozzle clean, use a good compressor with moisture filter.

And in everything, do a good surface prep. Sanding, puttying, priming is a must for glossy (bodywork) area. For chassis, using you can get away with some metallic grey / gun metal color. Quality of paintwork isn't too critical. You may even want to try dry brushing technique to bring out the detailings on the chassis.

Neutral Newbie

hi all,

thanks a million...

To Spray pure white,

Always remember to apply a layer of white primer first.

That will make a lot of differences.

Neutral Newbie

So other then model andyone play Tamiya mini 4wd? By the way if anyone wish to get any tamiya stuff i can call my friend to help to get think cheaper.

I did military modeling for a while. But eventually stopped because not enough time. But I might pick it up again eventually.

Different skill sets, military is more on the camo and pattern. No one cares about gloss. BUT, I've worked with some car modelers before:

There are some special paint available through order from japan. More expensive, but the pigment is a lot finer, allows for a better finish.

And yeah, needs to use a few layers of gloss in the end. So it's a 2 step process. At least. Some includes primer too.

Neutral Newbie

I always want to learn but have ask that a course may cost 200++ plus need to buy this and that haz... exp hobby hehe

Play radio controlled Tamiya models like tanks are better:

IMG_9999.jpg

IMG_0017.jpg

IMG_0373.jpg

IMG_8143.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

or if you like wheels

IMG_9887.jpg

IMG_9869.jpg

IMG_9855.jpg

IMG_9858.jpg

IMG_9896.jpg

Yup, is actually a circuit for kid cyclists, but we use it for driving trucks. Its in Pasir Ris and sometimes I think you get R/C drifters also.

Have you tried the China made Heng Loong Brand of tanks, airsoft ones?

Pretty good as well, change tracks to metal tracks, smoke, lights and all.

I've seen them before, some of their tanks are Tamiya knock-offs (copies), e.g. the Tiger, and the Snow Leopard.

You need to compare them side by side to appreciate the difference in quality, but if you just want a reasonably priced big tank to bash around in, I think they do the job well enough.

↡ Advertisement