Alright for 9 Years old to walk home alone?

Kelpie

Hi all,

My 9 years old daughter has been asking me to allow her to walk home by herself when her school (morning session) finished at 1:30pm.

Currently the school is about a few HDB blocks or almost equal to one bus stop distance away from home. I drive her to school in the morning and the maid bring her back from school in the afternoon.

While I thought it is good that she wanted to be more independent but I'm concern about her safety. Although I used to walk to school to and fro from home at the age of 7 and during those days, there were bullies and gangsters around the neighbourhood.

What do you think, Yes or No? any other options? She doesn't like taking school bus.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

↡ Advertisement

need to cross e ROAD???, if yes, i don tink so, i noe i wont [sweatdrop]

She needs to cross 2 traffic lights (no road junctions) in order to reach home. You also worry about her safety right?

Regards,

Neutral Newbie

My boy started walking home after school alone since 2nd half of Pri 1. But its only about 200meters away and not major roads to worry about.

My main concern will be traffic. As long as traffic is okay and safe, should be fine.

Can,but make sure u recce for her where to walk. The best is to ask her go back with frens

I do have that in mind but it is as good as passing responsibility to others. Really not an easy decision to make. May be should get the maid to wait for her at mid way for the time being.

Regards,

My boy started walking home after school alone since 2nd half of Pri 1. But its only about 200meters away and not major roads to worry about.

My main concern will be traffic. As long as traffic is okay and safe, should be fine.

When I was 7, the family too poor to get school bus transportation. I have to walk about 4 bus stops distance to reach school (around 35 minutes). I have to cross one road junction and several smaller traffic lights and a zebra crossing. I guess the current generation are really precious to us.

My Mum accompained me for the 1st half of the year and the 2nd half, I was on my own.

Regards,

Some kids like to be independant,let them be,not to worry too much.

I just knew that she walked home alone today! For some reasons, the school released them at 12:30pm and she didn't want to wait for the maid [:(]. Don't know whether to praise her or to scold her? Should I or should I not?

Regards,

9 years old is way too young for a girl to be walking alone.

You'll have to answer many questions:

1. Can she look out for traffic?

2. Will she trust strangers (Hello little girl, your father sent me to get you)

3. Will she get curious and run somewhere else?

4. Will she be safe in the lift alone?

Good points. Unsafe for a girl.

Boy might be ok.

Neutral Newbie

Same dilemma, my 9 yr old girl wants to walk home too. 300 meters only, only

internal access roads.

I told her to wait for a few months first. I get nervous few days back when she went to her friend;s

place just across the road after school, as she had some eca an hr later.

Point 1 to 3 can be educated for a question of concern. For 4, we are at low floor so don't need to take lift home.

Regards,

↡ Advertisement