Any concerns buying retail housebrand? Eg Fairprice

Peqasus

Areas of concern  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Areas of concern

• Quality
    • Safety

hey, bought a couple of a housebrand. Threw the items away.

1) Housebrand corn: I hv never tasted sweet corn kernels that after steaming, hv no corn smell. And soggy to chew.

2) Housebrand peach: OMG. The sogginess.

How do you view housebrands? Their quality? I'll rather spend a few cents or bucks more for safety and health.

↡ Advertisement

Last time the fairprice house brand bread used to be made by sunshine... they had this small logo there saying so... now dunno made by which crappy baker... taste different

some housebrand products are okay.....so far im fine with bread, butter, tissue paper, handwash, instant noodle, hotdog and ham.

some awful i ever tasted: ntuc peanuts, canned tuna.

Neutral Newbie

Tissue feels like sandpaper.

Toilet Roll also rough, and seems to use up faster than premium brand.

I've not have the courage to try edible stuff yet [sweatdrop]

Tissue feels like sandpaper.

Toilet Roll also rough, and seems to use up faster than premium brand.

I've not have the courage to try edible stuff yet [sweatdrop]

Eat already won't die. Just taste like crap.

Neutral Newbie

I always use housebrand as a guide to see how far premium brands differs.

Sometimes you will be surprise to find that different brands of washing powder comes fom the same factory...

[smash][knife]

hey, bought a couple of a housebrand. Threw the items away.

1) Housebrand corn: I hv never tasted sweet corn kernels that after steaming, hv no corn smell. And soggy to chew.

2) Housebrand peach: OMG. The sogginess.

How do you view housebrands? Their quality? I'll rather spend a few cents or bucks more for safety and health.

House brand or "no frills" items I will buy, provided it is not for consumption or anything electrical. I will not compromise on

quality and safety. What for buy things which spoil easily and endanger your health? [sweatdrop]

Edited by Vroomtattat

OEM stuff from know and unknown sources....

quality range from above average to bad....

if only save 5% compare to normal brand, i rather get normal brand

bear in mind household product usually dun cost more then $50. so 5% is quite insignificant

I tried house brand dish washing liquid before.

To wash 1 plate, premium brand one need just 1 tiny drop... very concentrated [thumbsup] .

House brand one need half a pump (about 10 drops). The first time i used it, I thought can use 1 drop also...KNN, 1 bubble also don't have! [thumbsdown]

I will never buy house brand dish washing liquid ever again! [shakehead]

Edited by Ultramega

giant housebrand lemon diswashing liquid is very dilute. dunno whether still got savings after i factor in the extra that i have to use :wacko:

i think have to just give it a try lor. even for normal brands, it may not be suitable for ur needs. i wun say house brands are inferior.

before i started boycotting NTUC, i used their house brand soya oil when it was still very cheap. seemed to do the job but then again, i'm not a good cook [angel]

most supermkt house brand i will buy

except one particular supermkt chain that professes to serve the workers and love the laborers

[lipsrsealed]

Supercharged

if hv to try, open eyes big big, read thoroughly before buying.

but i noticed not much details printed as compared to before.

imo, not really value for $ especially when you can find same item carried by FP vs normal supplier, the latter offering disc (expiry date is much later than FP).

as they say "where got free lunch in this world", cheaper by 50cts but quality cheapen by $1 as they are not running a charity but business only stock their own products very few from competitors, thus consumer's choice very much restricted.

I only buy housebrand stuff that is not food. Tissue paper, toilet paper etc ok. Nothing that my family or I eat though

I tried house brand dish washing liquid before.

To wash 1 plate, premium brand one need just 1 tiny drop... very concentrated [thumbsup] .

House brand one need half a pump (about 10 drops). The first time i used it, I thought can use 1 drop also...KNN, 1 bubble also don't have! [thumbsdown]

I will never buy house brand dish washing liquid ever again! [shakehead]

Yup,tats wat my maid told me...stop buying oredi,the solution is not concentrate

Some major brand like F&N cordial syrup also now try to reduce cost. The syrups are like not concentrate anymore,not like last time [thumbsdown]

↡ Advertisement