Meguiar's =(

Karebu

6 minutes ago, BoneStock said:

hey guys,

Finally had chance to wash my ride after CB, and found that there were many stains on my bonnet.  most likely from dried tree sap that were not removed immediately.

I took out my cheapo NU polish to remove the stains but ended up with swirl marks and lighter colour tones on the affected areas.

I am planning to use a better polish like Meguiars to remove restore the surfaces.  Will like some advice here as I hardly do detailing on my ride.  btw, my current ride is just over 1 year old and is dark blue (verge of black) in colour.

Should I use Ultimate Compound to remove the swirl marks?   https://www.meguiars.com.sg/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=128

Or Ultimate Polish suffice?  I read that the Compound is more abrasive/rougher that the Polish?  https://www.meguiars.com.sg/car-care/car-care-polish?product_id=206

After removing the swirl marks, I am planning to use Quik Wax to finish it off.  https://www.meguiars.com.sg/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=129

Since I belong to senior citizen, I prefer to use products that are easy on easy off type that requires less effort.

Will appreciate your recommendations as I haven't bought the Meguiars yet.

I tried Nu Polish before but that was like 15-20 years ago. I throw it away just after 1 use. Smell of very strong thinner or turpentine. Is probably fine if you dilute with water. What you are experiencing now is hologram and that could be the polish has removed the layer of wax or you could have be working on a hot surface or the worst the clearcoat get soften up. 

You can use the ultimate polish but if you are working on it manually, it may just cover up the halogram and swirl mark temporary. Both will appear again once the polish wear off. I suggest get a professional to deal with it. Is a not difficult job if you have the proper tooling.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie
On 6/29/2020 at 1:54 PM, BoneStock said:

hey guys,

Finally had chance to wash my ride after CB, and found that there were many stains on my bonnet.  most likely from dried tree sap that were not removed immediately.

I took out my cheapo NU polish to remove the stains but ended up with swirl marks and lighter colour tones on the affected areas.

I am planning to use a better polish like Meguiars to remove restore the surfaces.  Will like some advice here as I hardly do detailing on my ride.  btw, my current ride is just over 1 year old and is dark blue (verge of black) in colour.

Should I use Ultimate Compound to remove the swirl marks?   https://www.meguiars.com.sg/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=128

Or Ultimate Polish suffice?  I read that the Compound is more abrasive/rougher that the Polish?  https://www.meguiars.com.sg/car-care/car-care-polish?product_id=206

After removing the swirl marks, I am planning to use Quik Wax to finish it off.  https://www.meguiars.com.sg/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=129

Since I belong to senior citizen, I prefer to use products that are easy on easy off type that requires less effort.

My first wash after CB was quite surprised to see all the etching from water spots. 😞

Also about 1 yr +, dark blue almost black.

Had bought Meguiar's Black Wax some months back when I noticed it on sale. Finally used it last weekend, worked pretty well in my opinion. Used it to clean up a lot of microscratches around the handle areas too. I didn't do the whole roof, too tired, lol. Will tackle that in round 2 at my next wash. I was initially thinking of getting UC or UP also, but decided to try the Black Wax since I already had it.

• Praise 1

On 6/29/2020 at 1:54 PM, BoneStock said:

hey guys,

I am in the same dilemma as you. I recently parked my car under a tree and some of the debris along with the sap landed on my roof. I have managed to remove most of the sap but I think I missed out on one. I found this out after I went for a car wash at the petrol kiosk, only to find pretty bad swirl marks on my roof, probably from the rough cleaning by the workers at the petrol kiosk. Now I need some help trying to figure out the best way to remove these swirl marks. I did some googling online and was wondering of trying Turtle Wax Scratch Repair & Renew. However, I was wondering if there are any bros or sis out here who have tried this product before and have had good results?

On 6/29/2020 at 2:16 PM, Maddriver said:

I tried Nu Polish before but that was like 15-20 years ago. I throw it away just after 1 use. Smell of very strong thinner or turpentine. Is probably fine if you dilute with water. What you are experiencing now is hologram and that could be the polish has removed the layer of wax or you could have be working on a hot surface or the worst the clearcoat get soften up. 

You can use the ultimate polish but if you are working on it manually, it may just cover up the halogram and swirl mark temporary. Both will appear again once the polish wear off. I suggest get a professional to deal with it. Is a not difficult job if you have the proper tooling.

hey bro, many thanks for your advice.

finally found some time to do it on my own. Just covering one bonnet already hye hye chuan...perspire like raining.  Guess age really plays a big part.

I did 2 rounds of the polish.  first round I made the mistake of applying too thick so needed more effort to wipe off.

Overall it was a very good experience considering I have not done polishing myself for many years.  Will definitely find some time to do the whole car and in the process take it as a good workout.

thanks again!! [thumbsup][thumbsup]

On 8/5/2020 at 12:48 AM, newcenturion said:

I am in the same dilemma as you. I recently parked my car under a tree and some of the debris along with the sap landed on my roof. I have managed to remove most of the sap but I think I missed out on one. I found this out after I went for a car wash at the petrol kiosk, only to find pretty bad swirl marks on my roof, probably from the rough cleaning by the workers at the petrol kiosk. Now I need some help trying to figure out the best way to remove these swirl marks. I did some googling online and was wondering of trying Turtle Wax Scratch Repair & Renew. However, I was wondering if there are any bros or sis out here who have tried this product before and have had good results?

I used ultimate polish followed by Quik Wax.  works for me...you can give it a shot since the prices are reasonable.  If it doesnt work out, then consider getting a pro to do it.

Turbocharged
1 hour ago, BoneStock said:

I used ultimate polish followed by Quik Wax.  works for me...you can give it a shot since the prices are reasonable.  If it doesnt work out, then consider getting a pro to do it.

I'm using Meguiars Ceramic Wax, read quite a lot of good feedback online and tried it few weeks back, the results quite ok, now just use their Quik Wax to maintain a bit. 

• Praise 1

On 8/8/2020 at 10:00 AM, Dafansu said:

I'm using Meguiars Ceramic Wax, read quite a lot of good feedback online and tried it few weeks back, the results quite ok, now just use their Quik Wax to maintain a bit. 

thanks for sharing...looks like a relatively new product.

checked out some youtube videos and this seems to be quite thick and sticky?  is it easy to wipe off?  The Meguiars videos recommend using jet hose or garden hose but I don't have any of these....perhaps if I try this in the future, I will use the traditional applicator way and see if it works[laugh]

Edited by BoneStock

1 hour ago, BoneStock said:

thanks for sharing...looks like a relatively new product.

checked out some youtube videos and this seems to be quite thick and sticky?  is it easy to wipe off?  The Meguiars videos recommend using jet hose or garden hose but I don't have any of these....perhaps if I try this in the future, I will use the traditional applicator way and see if it works[laugh]

did a lot of reading online, think the best way is not to jet hose off , but just spray it and wipe with the cloth, can save more wax and cost. 

Thanks. I will try 3 in 1 wax next time. I am using black wax now, it's good but looking for something even better. I tried ultimate fast finish in a can , but don't really like it.

↡ Advertisement