Traffic rule : when at the 2 lane roundabout, who has the r

Hanhao

Neutral Newbie

Traffic rule : when at the 2 lane roundabout, who has the right of way?

the car in the inner lane or outer lane?

what if a car in the inner lane was turning left,trying to exit the 2 lane roundabout, and hit a car who is traveling straight in the outer lane, which car is at fault?

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

in terms of insurance claims? then both are at fault bah.

heard theres no 100% winning, unless the vehicle is stationery..

wait for more advice coming in..

cheers..

Car turning is at fault.

As long as the vehicle is going straight, he is right.

Outer lane is to reach the exit...when near, you have to filter into the inner lane to exit and not from the outer lane to exit.

The car on the inside lane can travel straight or left to exit...

Unless there is a road signal that indicate the left most lane is for turning left only....then going straight would be wrong.

But SG got only a few circle left...many pple still suka suka anyhow turn....the Pioneer circle is one of such places. 2nd lane also will turn left and cut off those in the leftmost lane. Seen so many near hits everyday.

• Praise 1

Hardly you see any car gives indicator light when exiting roundabout. And also when entering from a filter lane. In fact anywhere!

There is a certain rule i remembered when studied for the basic theory? It all depends on how many lanes there are in the roundabt and how many exits there are too. You are suppose to go into the correct lane before you even enter the roundabout.

For example, you take the outermost if your exit is the first one from where you enter the rd-abt. If your exit is the last one (or you making a U turn with the rd-abt like newton), then you take the rightmost lane as you go in, and inner most lane as you circles.

Ehh.. correct right? [rolleyes]

i hate roundabout...very prone to accident if not careful....one good example of a messy roundabout is newton circle.

for me, i stick to the outer lane regardless if i am exiting next or later...easier to exit anytime right.

roundabout also makes me exit the wrong exit if i am not careful and alert haha...

haha bro..not always very safe if u take the most outer lane..i kena once at newton circus where the taxi driver turn from the 2nd lane and exit..while i was the outer lane..so whose fault is it..lol

If i remember correctly, a two-lane roundabout has the following rules :

Outer Lane ( i.e. near pedestrian path way ) = can exit and 9 o'clock or 12 o'clock at the roundabout.

Inner Lane ( i.e. in the middle of the road ) = can exit and 12 o'clock or 3 o'clock at the roundabout.

So, if inner lane tries to exit at 9 o'clock, he should be at fault.

Moreover, it is the onus of the driver to ensure road is clear before he can change lane. In this case, the Inner lane car.

There is a certain rule i remembered when studied for the basic theory? It all depends on how many lanes there are in the roundabt and how many exits there are too. You are suppose to go into the correct lane before you even enter the roundabout.

For example, you take the outermost if your exit is the first one from where you enter the rd-abt. If your exit is the last one (or you making a U turn with the rd-abt like newton), then you take the rightmost lane as you go in, and inner most lane as you circles.

Ehh.. correct right? [rolleyes]

I am surprised many people had the impression that going str has right of way even if on outer lane.

I believe you are right. If you follow the highway code, taking the outer most lane when you enter the circle means you must exit at the next available exit. Second most outer take the next exit and so on. In this manner, the inner lane cars will never collide with the outer lane ones cos when they exit, the outer lane cars must also exit....

I am surprised many people had the impression that going str has right of way even if on outer lane.

I believe you are right. If you follow the highway code, taking the outer most lane when you enter the circle means you must exit at the next available exit. Second most outer take the next exit and so on. In this manner, the inner lane cars will never collide with the outer lane ones cos when they exit, the outer lane cars must also exit....

You should try the newton roundabout.

enter from newton foodcenter and exit bukit timah. The scott road is few a few meter from your entrance.

You first lane will be the outer lane. <_<

see many accident over there.

Long time never use roundabout liao. But yes accidents are common if there are so many misconcenption abt its usage. In fact, a fren of mine just got into one here few months back....

Often its hard to say for certain who is at fault in roundabout incidents, but the car making the turn would most probably be at fault for not checking that the outer lane is clear. In any case exiting straight from the inner lane is very dangerous and the correct way should be to filter to the outer lane at the exit prior to the exit you want to take, to prepare to exit safely. Also its important to slow down before and upon entering the roundabout so that your vehicle remains in control and also, you are ready for some blur drivers who may use the roundabout wrongly or break the rules.

I thought the gerneral rule of driving, Give way to Traffic on your right. [drivingcar]

I thought the gerneral rule of driving, Give way to Traffic on your right. [drivingcar]

Before entering the roundabout, yes. Have to stop before entering and give way to all traffic from the right till it is clear and safe to enter. But once inside the roundabout, normal lane discipline, as well as knowing which lane one should be on according to the exit you want to take, and taking care when changing lanes or heading for the exit, all apply.

Neutral Newbie

singapore roundabout too small lah.

alot of our neighbour country using roundabouts... but their roundabout is very huge lah...

IMO, roundabouts are better then traffic lights.

self regulate traffic is better....

In any case exiting straight from the inner lane is very dangerous and the correct way should be to filter to the outer lane at the exit prior to the exit you want to take, to prepare to exit safely. Also its important to slow down before and upon entering the roundabout so that your vehicle remains in control and also, you are ready for some blur drivers who may use the roundabout wrongly or break the rules.

not so.....inner lane r for turning left or going straight on. Tis will ensure smoother n higher traffic flow. While outer lane is strictly for exit to e left n muz not go straight [drivingcar]

↡ Advertisement