Police inspector: Slanderers on the web will not escape from

Sleepyman

Police inspector: Slanderers on the web will not escape from clutches of the law

February 5, 2009

Translated by from Lianhe Zaobao by Cheng Siew Peng

To those netizens who have hurling untrue accusations at others on the internet, they better consider twice if they think they can escape from the clutches of the law by hiding behind a cloak of anonymity.

Police inspector Huang Hong Guan stressed during an interview that all slanderers and flame-baiters on the internet will not be able to escape prosecution if the police found that laws are indeed broken.

↡ Advertisement

basically, criticizing a regime is not acceptable. criticizing those who oppose it is good [rolleyes]

the mainstream media needs to remind the populace time n again, big bro is watching, internet information is unreliable, official media is unbiased and reliable. come, kindergarten kids, take ur medicine again....

but i do agree that some online criticisms are overboard and baseless. as overboard as ST articles attacking opposition and online media.

basically, criticizing a regime is not acceptable. criticizing those who oppose it is good [rolleyes]

the mainstream media needs to remind the populace time n again, big bro is watching, internet information is unreliable, official media is unbiased and reliable. come, kindergarten kids, take ur medicine again....

but i do agree that some online criticisms are overboard and baseless. as overboard as ST articles attacking opposition and online media.

" including harrassing a particular individual". This one is getting more and more in MCF.

Regards,

Hmmm...they gonna be very busy finding place in changi hotel for a lot of folks

I think the warning is directed to somebody like Dr. Chee and gang. You think Police so free catch all the small fry citizen nobodies.

I think the warning is directed to somebody like Dr. Chee and gang. You think Police so free catch all the small fry citizen nobodies.

recently ah seng have been insulted left, right, centre. the negative comments may be true, may be false. they are going to arrest those who anyhow say bad things

worse than communist country..... is there freedom of speech ?

compared to places like the US, we pale in comparison when it comes to free speech. but even the US, people can get sued for libel, defamation and slander. it's not complete free speech either.

Turbocharged

i think that basically sums up everything..

but again, i wonder calling the taxi driver 'national hero' consider as slander? [rolleyes]

Turbocharged

worse than communist country..... is there freedom of speech ?

i think china score better than us in this aspect..their netizens are notorious for flaming--baiting comments..but their CPC dont go after them.. [sweatdrop]

Police inspector: Slanderers on the web will not escape from clutches of the law

February 5, 2009

Translated by from Lianhe Zaobao by Cheng Siew Peng

To those netizens who have hurling untrue accusations at others on the internet, they better consider twice if they think they can escape from the clutches of the law by hiding behind a cloak of anonymity.

Police inspector Huang Hong Guan stressed during an interview that all slanderers and flame-baiters on the internet will not be able to escape prosecution if the police found that laws are indeed broken.

"...The police will not tolerate any form of slander on the internet against public servants and MPs by netizens and bloggers and will conduct investigations against those who break the laws.... "

So police will only protect public servants and MPs, while commoners like us will not receive the same 'protection'...

Hmmm...they gonna be very busy finding place in changi hotel for a lot of folks

Yeah, new wing specifically for bloggers... no internet access!

↡ Advertisement