Sick of Family cars.....Boxster or Cayman? S or Non-S

RadX

As above, hand getting itchy and am ridding either the CX-7 or the MX-5....changing to either

1. Boxster or

2. Cayman.

Anyone with experience on these 2 and what are the differences between the S and non-S? Me not going to the Porsche forum as they are quite a bunch of upstarts nia..... [lipsrsealed][lipsrsealed]

All views welcome.

Thanks in advance [thumbsup]

↡ Advertisement

They are both very similar cars except that the cayman has a stiffer chassis, louder engine, and handles slightly better. Get the boxster if you relish open top driving but get the cayman if you want to go to the track.

The S models have a lot more torque and therefore are a little easier to drive around town with. The non S models have to be revved hard to extract performance. The S basically comes with a bigger capacity engine, better brakes and some options as standard (pasm?).

For the 2009 models, you can spec the cayman with a lsd which is quite useful for powering out of turns. The lack of lsd has been the cayman's achilles heel some say.

If you buying new, get from stuttgart if you want the peace of mind. Get from PIs if you want to mod since stuttgart voids your warranty if you do.

They are both very similar cars except that the cayman has a stiffer chassis, louder engine, and handles slightly better. Get the boxster if you relish open top driving but get the cayman if you want to go to the track.

The S models have a lot more torque and therefore are a little easier to drive around town with. The non S models have to be revved hard to extract performance. The S basically comes with a bigger capacity engine, better brakes and some options as standard (pasm?).

For the 2009 models, you can spec the cayman with a lsd which is quite useful for powering out of turns. The lack of lsd has been the cayman's achilles heel some say.

If you buying new, get from stuttgart if you want the peace of mind. Get from PIs if you want to mod since stuttgart voids your warranty if you do.

But is that not where the fun comes in? I know they tend to be tail happy, MR, and all, but handling an oversteer is where the kick is derived?

Didn't know Caymen is Japanese car.

Maybe Caymen is japanese.. not sure, but it think TS is referring to the car known & spelled as "Cayman" [lipsrsealed]

Turbocharged

As above, hand getting itchy and am ridding either the CX-7 or the MX-5....changing to either

1. Boxster or

2. Cayman.

Anyone with experience on these 2 and what are the differences between the S and non-S? Me not going to the Porsche forum as they are quite a bunch of upstarts nia..... [lipsrsealed][lipsrsealed]

All views welcome.

Thanks in advance [thumbsup]

GTR BRO!

else cayman if u have to get porsche, then can tongpang nus24 aka leepee [sly]

Here's the wiki on the lsd and an article on the cayman lsd

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Limited_slip_differential

http://jalopnik.com/5093819/2009-porsche-c...ip-differential

It allows one to get more power down out of the tighter turns and also allow one to better control a drift/oversteer. Good for drifters and track guys.

Controlled oversteer is fun. Non controlled oversteer is scary :)

Buying a Porsche is all about options, go for the latest PDK instead of Tip if you can, as for the rest of the options is up to your preference. The usual options like PSM, PASM etc. And if you find that your dashboard to plain, get the Sports Chrono package.. [thumbsup]

Other than that, between Boxster/Cayman S & no S is the Engine cap & BHP.

Just a note if you get from PI and if their car is adopted by SA. They probably hv factored a $10k adoption fee and warranty only starts from the date of manufacture, NOT date of reg.

Different stroke for different folk. Not everyone have to like the GT-R.

Lets just stick to topic, Boxster or Cayman? S or Non-S.

Having said that, I can't imagine myself getting a Porsche that is not a 911 (unless its the Carrera GT).

Anyway, I am no expert. Best is test drive. I think the dealer allow people to test drive, as long you are geniune in buying a car.