Mazada 3 at $50K

Victor68

I read this car is now selling at $50K. many write up say it lack power and poor FC. I heard the facelift 2009 version also coming.

Can the experts here share their views so that buyers can consider the pros and cons. Please be realistic. don't make comparison with cars that are $60K and above.

↡ Advertisement

that's true, considering that the car also weights in at 1.3 ton. but luckily the car comes with a manual override that satisfies the thirst for high revs from time to time.

Think there's some terms and conditions. Must loan certain amount and loan tenure with certain interest rates or compulsory in house finance and insurance. Otherwise got to pay more. Also 50K is the basic model. Luxury cost more.

I read this car is now selling at $50K. many write up say it lack power and poor FC. I heard the facelift 2009 version also coming.

Can the experts here share their views so that buyers can consider the pros and cons. Please be realistic. don't make comparison with cars that are $60K and above.

Have you test driven the car? If so, what is your first impression of it? Like it, hate it or....??

If you have not test driven it, go ahead and try it out. It is only then that you will know...

It's heavy and underpowered. Noisy too. And fc is average or below average.

However it does look good even now and the interior dash is very beautiful. Handling is good, and it will be good if you can get the 2.0litre version. I think it comes with 1 airbag for the cheapest version when I was looking for a car last time. But it's an outgoing model and the new model will be coming in soon.

50+k, I think best overall car will be Kia forte 2.0litre. It comes almost fully equipped, 6 airbags, ESC, sunroof, etc. Check it out in the forte thread.

Neutral Newbie

I switched from the previous Altis to Mazda 3 so I can only compare between the 2. I must say I had not regretted it at all except when I go to the petrol station. It really is thirsty. I average about 10.5km/litre though I have a pretty heavy right foot. The altis gave me about 12.5km/litre.

Other than that, in terms of wind noise or road noise there isn't much difference between the 2. When accelerating, if you step lightly, the Mazda 3 won't feel like moving but Altis moves off readily. But if you floor it for both, the Mazda 3 wins as I can rev it all the way to redline even in auto mode which I am never able to do for the Altis.

Thereafter Mazda wins hands down really, from exterior looks, "sturdyness" of the metal, to interior cushion and dashboard finishing. The boot comes with those "non-springy" thing (not sure what's it's called) so it feels a class above the normal 1.6 category really. The handling as mentioned before is no contest either. At 110km/h for the Altis, I would feel unsafe but for the Mazda 3 I can go comfortably at 120km/h and perhaps even beyond (not tried it yet!)

At 50K, it really is a steal especially if your mileage is not gonna be high. But I feel it's worth it to pay 2K more to get the passenger air bags. Comes with a nicer leather wrapped steering wheel, nicer looking gear knob and air con controls too.

It's heavy and underpowered. Noisy too. And fc is average or below average.

However it does look good even now and the interior dash is very beautiful. Handling is good, and it will be good if you can get the 2.0litre version. I think it comes with 1 airbag for the cheapest version when I was looking for a car last time. But it's an outgoing model and the new model will be coming in soon.

50+k, I think best overall car will be Kia forte 2.0litre. It comes almost fully equipped, 6 airbags, ESC, sunroof, etc. Check it out in the forte thread.

You are right! Low end pickup sucks. But i think in the higher rpm ranges, it performs quite decently. Its stable because of its weight as well. Got like 9-10km/l for mazda 3 SP.

i have m3sp...

it is indeed thirsty (i'm on 16inch)

pickup is pathetic.

100km/hr cruising is noisy and hits 3krpm.

but looks nice. car is affordable for the price. conti feel. nice interior. makes me feel relaxed when i'm inside the car.

i have m3sp...

pickup is pathetic.

but looks nice. car is affordable for the price. conti feel. nice interior. makes me feel relaxed when i'm inside the car.

Maybe because its a 4 speed gearbox haha. m3sp drivers, do u use D mode or the M mode to save petrol?

Turbocharged

Even though EOL, still a very solid and decent car, only marred by the weak engine/drivetrain combo. The 2.0 will be a better match.

firm and stable ride but high fc, underpower and noisy. cabin space is quite small too. get it if you don't need big cabin space and don't care about fc / power else you are better off getting other cars [:)]

another catch is that new model is on the way. get it only if you don't mind driving old model.

do check out avante and the new kia forte, i think the two are really value for money [thumbsup]

i have m3sp...

pickup is pathetic.

just curious, does it really hit 3k rpm or u didn't ease off the accelerator enough for it to engage torque converter lock-up mode? Mine does 100 km/h at 2.6k rpm.

firm and stable ride but high fc, underpower and noisy. cabin space is quite small too. get it if you don't need big cabin space and don't care about fc / power else you are better off getting other cars [:)]

another catch is that new model is on the way. get it only if you don't mind driving old model.

do check out avante and the new kia forte, i think the two are really value for money [thumbsup]

Is it a new model or like some said it is a facelift? Same engine and chassis?

Regards,

↡ Advertisement