Lets talk about fish!

Kelpie

Hi all,

Fish is perceived as a healthy source of protein (Omega). My current maid told me his ex-employer in Hong Kong is a fish lover and wanted fish for every meal if they are eating at home. Do you eat fish everyday?

I thought this is a good idea and seriously thinking about buying more fish in the near future. What are the fish that are known for a nice steamed dish? I'm sure there are both cheaper one and the more exotic one. Any lobang for reasonable priced fishes around?

Fish guru, please advise.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

↡ Advertisement

Hi all,

Fish is perceived as a healthy source of protein (Omega). My current maid told me his ex-employer in Hong Kong is a fish lover and wanted fish for every meal if they are eating at home. Do you eat fish everyday?

I thought this is a good idea and seriously thinking about buying more fish in the near future. What are the fish that are known for a nice steamed dish? I'm sure there are both cheaper one and the more exotic one. Any lobang for reasonable priced fishes around?

Fish guru, please advise.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

Yes fish is good for body but the price are killing ....... :mellow:, so which type of fishes to eat .....

Average prices of fishes ..... Kuning : $4.50 per/kg, Selar : $7/- per/kg, Kambong : $6.50 per/kg, Silver Promfet : $9/- per/kg, Golden Promfet : $15/- per/kg

Ikan Merah : $18/- per/kg, Gouper : $18/- per/kg

The best fish meat is 'Ngoh Hu' or Ikan Kurau at $25 ~ $32/- per/kg ...... [sweatdrop]

Turbocharged

think only deep sea fishes, eg tuna, have omega 3 + 6. The ones we eat live in the shallower waters so might not apply. however also need to note that mercury level in deep sea fishes are higher though it won't kill you.

Turbocharged

I was also quite sad when my 4 year old goldfish pass on. They can live 10 years but I am not capable of making it live that long. [smallcry]

Locally AVA just release its first batch of Cobia. It is similar to Tuna as it is also one of those pelagic fish, meaning deep sea fish. It is also being served as sashimi in some Japanese restaurants.

Yes fish is good for body but the price are killing ....... :mellow: , so which type of fishes to eat .....

Average prices of fishes ..... Kuning : $4.50 per/kg, Selar : $7/- per/kg, Kambong : $6.50 per/kg, Silver Promfet : $9/- per/kg, Golden Promfet : $15/- per/kg

The best fish meat is 'Ngoh Hu' or Ikan Kurau at $25 ~ $32/- per/kg ...... [sweatdrop]

You always go market weekend? You know so much abt fish price.

IIRC,kembong use to cost $4/kg, now everything also upz

Turbocharged

Got marlin anot... :P

Tried marlin steak before. Char char one. Not sure if it is chef no good or meat is inherently like that.

for those fish lover, i think we hv 20 yrs to eat affordable fishes. So eat while we can in this generation.

With dwindling natural resources, overfishing and increasing human population, wat is left is too many humans, too little fishes. there are initiatives to ensure sustainable fisheries and sustainable aquaculture.

sad to note tat in aquaculture, it may take 2gram of feed to grow 1 gram of fish protein. so the maths indictate inefficient conversion. finally, fishes (wild or farmed) go to those who can afford it.

it's like the dodo bird. wat was common yesterday is now extinct. will eating fish follow the same path??

Yes fish is good for body but the price are killing ....... :mellow:, so which type of fishes to eat .....

Tell me, I got lobang to get good quality for less, Malaysian or Indonesian also got.

I buy in every month.

mi ate 1 steamed soon hock in JB, name is new hong kong or wat cant recall. Its at corner restaurant near lorry custom, cost almost 100 ringgit but its worth every cents. flesh simply melts in ur mouth [;)]

Edited by Hamburger

Ngoh Hu is only $25~$32 meh? I remember I paid close to $40/kg before! Buy from wet market for baby and preggy wife... [sweatdrop] I know supermarket cheaper, but it is also from smaller fish and not so fresh...

Yea,Ngou Fish aka threadfin price fluctuate alot.When sea is stormy,Ngou fish price can hit as high as $50.When sea are calm and ppl goes out catching,it can go as low as $24 to $25 per kg.Codfish is another fish which can go as expensive as $40 to $45.Another type of fish which can go sky high is tou cang,a silvery promfret,and xin ban,a grouper which has blue dots on its body.I'm in this industry,need help can come PM me.Need fresh fish,also can PM me. [flowerface]

Mod,if you think this post comes with a bit of advertising,you can remove it.No issue with me,understand that forum are meant for sharing and not business dealing.Just wanna share my lobang.