The First Roomster!

Quirky_ster

Mine got 2 airbag. Driver and V Comm .

Maybe new Roomster is of the even lower spec version with only 1 airbag.

↡ Advertisement

cant be.... it should be more than 1... mine have more than 1.. and I don't think there is new shipment for Roomy...

Neutral Newbie

Yeah. My mistake. It has the two air bags in front. Too bad the front passenger air-bag cannot be turned off.

Anyone knows the difference between Roomster 2006 and Roomster 2010?

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

Bought a Roomster (beige) in mid-June, SJX????E. I have a few questions that some of you may be able to answer. FYI, this is my first car, though I've been driving my dad's Starlet for some years already.

1. I've been using Caltex 95. Does switching to higher-grade petrol helps in FC/initial torque?

2. When stationary, Roomster settles into 2 idle speeds. One is around 600rpm and the other is around 900rpm. I only notice the latter lately, and thought that there might be some issue. If it had settled to 900rpm, then it stays there no matter how long vehicle is stationary or if the air-con and CD player are turned off, so it doesn't seem to be because the battery needs to charging. Moreover, when the footbrake is rasied at 900rpm idle speed, the vehicle accelerates much faster than when the idle speed is 600rpm.In addtion, at 900rpm idle, I am able to change the gear from 1st to 2nd (one time even 3rd) using the shift control. Any of you have the same experience and think that it is a problem? Sherman from the service centre seems to think that there is nothing wrong.

3. I know that a lot of storage compartments are optional items in our version of Roomster. However, the manual suggests that the "storage compartment in the side trim panel" (See page 87, Fig. 112 of https://mediaportal.skoda-auto.com/resource...nersManual.pdf) is standard. My Roomster does not have this, and Harvest says that they did not bring in this option. Is this the same with yours?

4. When going onto and off humps, I can hear "pisss" at the wheels/suspension. Is this normal?

Despite the above "complains", I enjoy the car, though not the terrible traffic these days. Also, you may wish to know:

1. Havest now sells Skoda alloy rims at the service centre. I think it's about S$100 per rim for the 15" one; 16" is $S150 per rim.

2. I find that the most effective way of using the air-con is to start-off without air-con or blower, then on the blower later, and then on the air-con sometime later.

3. It seems that switching off air-recirculation when parking the car under the hot sun helps to decrease heat built-up inside the car. Saw this in some other forum, and seems to work on Roomster.

Thanks.

Hi,

Bought a Roomster (beige) in mid-June, SJX????E. I have a few questions that some of you may be able to answer. FYI, this is my first car, though I've been driving my dad's Starlet for some years already.

1. I've been using Caltex 95. Does switching to higher-grade petrol helps in FC/initial torque?

2 school of tot here. Some said that while you pay slightly more for ron 98, it does give better mileage, thus in term of dollar/km, you actually get back more.

as to the type of petrol, it's really own perference.. and what your car start drinking. It's like baby changing milk powder. You get terrible FC during the initial 1-2 tank due to the change in additive.

2. When stationary, Roomster settles into 2 idle speeds. One is around 600rpm and the other is around 900rpm. I only notice the latter lately, and thought that there might be some issue. If it had settled to 900rpm, then it stays there no matter how long vehicle is stationary or if the air-con and CD player are turned off, so it doesn't seem to be because the battery needs to charging. Moreover, when the footbrake is rasied at 900rpm idle speed, the vehicle accelerates much faster than when the idle speed is 600rpm.In addtion, at 900rpm idle, I am able to change the gear from 1st to 2nd (one time even 3rd) using the shift control. Any of you have the same experience and think that it is a problem? Sherman from the service centre seems to think that there is nothing wrong.

Don't quite get what you mean but when air con is off, the engine rev will drop coz there's lesser load... so that is normal.

And the car will move faster due to higher engine rev which is correct also.. again, not sure what is wrong here. Got to look at the torque curve of your car.. but ideally, the LPT kick in at certain RPM which means at 900rpm, it's closer to the point the turbo kick in.

3. I know that a lot of storage compartments are optional items in our version of Roomster. However, the manual suggests that the "storage compartment in the side trim panel" (See page 87, Fig. 112 of https://mediaportal.skoda-auto.com/resource...nersManual.pdf) is standard. My Roomster does not have this, and Harvest says that they did not bring in this option. Is this the same with yours?

4. When going onto and off humps, I can hear "pisss" at the wheels/suspension. Is this normal?

Despite the above "complains", I enjoy the car, though not the terrible traffic these days. Also, you may wish to know:

1. Havest now sells Skoda alloy rims at the service centre. I think it's about S$100 per rim for the 15" one; 16" is $S150 per rim.

(for being an AD, i would say that they are selling it very cheap)

2. I find that the most effective way of using the air-con is to start-off without air-con or blower, then on the blower later, and then on the air-con sometime later.

3. It seems that switching off air-recirculation when parking the car under the hot sun helps to decrease heat built-up inside the car. Saw this in some other forum, and seems to work on Roomster.

Thanks.

Neutral Newbie

Don't quite get what you mean but when air con is off, the engine rev will drop coz there's lesser load... so that is normal.

And the car will move faster due to higher engine rev which is correct also.. again, not sure what is wrong here. Got to look at the torque curve of your car.. but ideally, the LPT kick in at certain RPM which means at 900rpm, it's closer to the point the turbo kick in.

Thanks for the feedback. I may not have been clear. What I meant was that if the idling speed is 900rpm upon braking to stop, the idling speed stays at 900rpm regardless of whether the air-con, fan and stereo are switched off later. I would have hoped that if these electrics are switched off, the rpm will drop to 600rpm range because the load has decreased, but the rpm stays "stuck" at 900rpm.

What is LPT? Is it Light Pressure Turbo, which I found on google? As far as I know, Roomster 16ltr/77kW is not turbo-charged. Or is there LPT in this engine?

Roomster is using the 1.6 MPI E1111 engine which is the base engine for the TSI series eventually. This the engine use by the Golf 1.6 prior to the 1.4 TSI range comes on board.

But no, this one does not comes with the LPT or Supercharger.

As for the rpm irregularity, I have not seen such problem but things may be different when it is cold as I find this car don't like to be driven when it is cold.

As for the trim level, all Singapore model do not come with the side pocket trim.

Higher grade petrol will help on its a little sluggish start off due to its weight. Thus it will help the car to move better during stationary when using higher grade petrol. FC end-to-end will be nett of based on cost.

Glad that you like the ride.. its' a good cruiser and its never a sprinter... but when in motion, it can do overtaking quiet swiftly..

Cheers!

Hi,

Thanks.

First and foremost, congrats on getting your Vroomster!

I also bought the Roomster as my first car, can't advice much as I'm a newbie in both driving license and car owner (going to 1 year old this end of Oct!), but I seem to experience the same thing as you with regards to the idling RPM and the hissing sound from the suspension. Sherman also said the same, not a problem according to him.

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

Seems that Roomster has disappeared from sgcarmart. Stock cleared? Haven't seen one other than the one I'm driving yet.

Its been a while that I've been hanging around here... been busy lately and the Roomster have been left for my parents to use it... almost did not drive it at all for the whole of last year... okay...since I got my MPV.

Anyway... the car is 2 years now, reliable as ever, still nice to drive and have done many good service to the family needs. It's hard to find the opportunity that the Roomsteer could not be of good use.... Its' always been a great utilitarian car for us... despite the fact that we got 2 other MPV ( me and brother ).

However, of late, my parents age catching up and have spend much less time and usage of the car...So rather than leaving it at the parking lot idling, we are thinking to let it go...

If there are someone keen on this one and just missed the boat on the high COE to own a car, please PM me before I changed my mind...

We are sure to miss this car for a very very long time... its a wonderful car to say the least.. its either this or my Grand Picasso... so we decided the Roomster have to go...

Regards,

Quirky_ster...

Hi Quirky_ster..

How is the Grand Picasso , how is the comments for this MPV , i',m actually attracted to it

If you dun mind , i have a few questions that requires your comment

questions like :

Pick up speed ?

Underpower ?

FC wise ?

if fully loaded , how will be the pick up ?

how does it fare in expressway ?

Spacious ?

ESG gear box , is it very jerky or tolerable ?

how is ride height ? compare to a normal suv like tucson ?

air con ..powerful ? i heard from the agent that the aircon is made in Japan

can send me some pics , if you have ?

Please advise , thanks a lot

Hi Quirky_ster..

How is the Grand Picasso , how is the comments for this MPV , i',m actually attracted to it

If you dun mind , i have a few questions that requires your comment

questions like :

Pick up speed ?

Underpower ?

FC wise ?

if fully loaded , how will be the pick up ?

how does it fare in expressway ?

Spacious ?

ESG gear box , is it very jerky or tolerable ?

how is ride height ? compare to a normal suv like tucson ?

air con ..powerful ? i heard from the agent that the aircon is made in Japan

can send me some pics , if you have ?

Please advise , thanks a lot

The curreent Picasso with 6-speed EGS is powerful in pick-up, acceleration, B road or highway, be it the car is fully loaded or not and will return an FC no worse than 12km/l on average 50-50... The performance is sensitive to petrol grade that you use, V-Power is really fun.. If I drive Roomster right after Picassso, the feeling is like someone who runs and someone who walks.. :P This car really zooms and many times, left smoke to some of the "sporty" sedans and definitely all the other Japs MPVs.. the 2.4l one inclusive......

Gear jerkiness.... if I drive ( coming from Manual Driver) I will have no jerk at all, but if are pure Auto-gear owner, then its something in between. But the jerk only happen in 1-2 gear... Having said that mine is the 4spd Auto Gear.. They did'nt have stock for EGS at that time.

Spacious, yes.. with panaromic front and moonroof, spaciousness is reallly its strength. Of couse you get a bit more space for Estima, if that what u wanna compare it with.

Ride height is almost similar to the SUVs. I test drove the new 2.4l Sorento and find that I like Picasso very much more in terms of power, airyness, spacious and good feel.

Air-con... is sufficient and given a bit of time, it will cool the cabin quickly despite the fact that it's almost an all glass afair for the top part of the car... driver, front passenger, rear passenger left, rear passenger right all have individual air-con temperature control...

Picture... aiya.. if you want to take closer look, just let me know...

Just bring up an old issues - the current Roomster is selling at 101K by HA - any comment as it is a basic model with 2 airbags and 6-speed transmission.

Please provide car details spec and data , lastly your asking price. You might want to provide reason on this sell else everyone will have doubt on the car maintenance.

Fully serviced with harvest until 3yrs is up (this June). After that serviced at my own workshop with ORIGINAL Skoda parts and Fluids with receipts to proof.

Brand new brake pads, rotors, radiator fan, belt and tensioner pulley just changed today.

Stock Specs with sports rims and 5000km old tires.

Millage is 125k

Selling because I want a Convertible

↡ Advertisement