Renewed COE BMW 318IA - worth buying?

Elmo

That's good revelation. Didn't know they had so much problems.

Still on the topic - so what Conti car has less problems and/or cheaper to maintain as I will be using it as a daily car?

In earlier posts and my friends' experience, they recommended Merz E200 with the W124 engine series.

How about E46 320 or E39 520 wif M54?

Once a car goes pass it's 10th year, there is no more PARF rebate. And with the current COEs at such lows, I guess the key question is; how much is this car worth when you want to sell it 2-3 years down the road? Rather, how much papaer value does it have?

honestly if one has cost concern over the maintenance of European marque, they shouldn't even consider buying it.

Go for the Toyota. Well known to be cheap and realiable.

Hi all,

Was looking at a few Y2K registered BMW 318IA which is renewing their COE and selling at under $50k in sgcarmart.

Hope to get any advice on whether they are worth buying:

Are BMWs generally durable enough to last another 10 yrs w/o major problems?

Anyone driving the 318IA can share their experience with it?

I haven't drove a conti b4 so not sure how much more I have to spend on maintenance as compared to Jap rides.

Thks for your advice! [flowerface]

Real BMWs come with at least 6 cylinders [thumbsup]

Neutral Newbie

In reply to your question abt the merc w124, its a good idea. if u dont mind the rd tax of 1812 a yr. insurance is cheap, maintenance is cheaper, esp in malaysia.

and it will almost never break down [thumbsup]

looks a bit ah pek...... but the reliabilty.... impressive . dad owns one from new 1990/91 i think

Clutched
(edited)

If you would like to know more about the local W124 scene, please take a look at the W124 thread over at onemotoring forum

The W124 is a workhorse; designed for reliability and durability. Performance is certainly not tarmac scorching; indeed some have complained that it is underpowered. Some skill is required for quick acceleration.

On the other hand, maintenance is really economical and infrequent; if you own a good specimen. It is extremely tough, indeed most Mercs have been designed to take right and left frontal collisions with the same force as a full frontal collision. Very safe.

Fuel consumption varies between 8.5 - 9.5 km/litre; there are a few versions - 8 valve (carburettor and mechanical injection) and 16 valve (electronic injection). Almost all are automatics. The few manual transmissions are very rare - so caveat emptor.

Singapore versions are mostly sedans - the 230TE or estate version are also rare. Parts may not be widely available or cheap. The sedans' parts are really abundant and can be cheaper than some Jap cars - not kidding! I read somewhere here that a BMW repair works at PML set the owner back by $8k (this is about the full amount I spent on my W124 for the five years I have owned the car) Maybe the BMW offers really that much more performance than my W124 [rolleyes]

Edited by W124

Clutched

Oh ya the 230CE is a collector's item.

It's a full coupe (coupe but can seat 5 persons just like a sedan and has two doors only)

Parts are again not widely available (not all)

It has a smaller cousin - the 190E; which is the predecessor to today's C-class.

Its major problems are probably the engine and transmission; but with a single overhaul setting you back by about $1.5k - $2k each, that's hardly cause for concern. If done properly, it should last you at least another 6 years or maybe even 10 years. Depends on driving style lah.

So if you are on a tight budget, but still wish to take care of your family's safety and offer them spacious and comfortable motoring, the W124 is one of the best compromises out there. The big problem is getting a good one

Thanks for all the advise!

Looks like not really worth it.

I was just thinking with the low PQP, this may be a good (if not the only) time that I can afford to buy a Beemer.

Guess the issue is not the purchase but the maintenance.

I saw 92/93 reg ones still running around so I thought they would be lasting and low maintenance.

Got friends who are driving >15 yrs Merz E200 and maintenance seems cheap - only normal servicing.

If you must get a COE premium conti, choose Benz over BMW. Benz parts are quite afforable and readily available in JB. Many old Benz around in JB state. In fact, I have a thought to get COE Benz to drive around in JB at one stage. In many other countries, their cars are driven 20~30 years easily. Singapore is unqiue, due to the artificial paper lifespan of 10 years to discourage car ownership and the existence of older cars.

I don't think there is anything wrong in driving an old car if it serves your daily need. Make sure you do alot of research about the car in detail, such as parts that require periodical changes, where to find stockist for parts, join a model related forum to find tips and etc.

Regards,

Hi all,

Was looking at a few Y2K registered BMW 318IA which is renewing their COE and selling at under $50k in sgcarmart.

Hope to get any advice on whether they are worth buying:

Are BMWs generally durable enough to last another 10 yrs w/o major problems?

Anyone driving the 318IA can share their experience with it?

I haven't drove a conti b4 so not sure how much more I have to spend on maintenance as compared to Jap rides.

Thks for your advice! [flowerface]

dun take the risk of buying it. its not worth it. you will be having more headaches if you buy it.

people can always tell you that so and so bought a similar model and it does not give them problems.

but this is a forum and who can you really trust here?

dun take the risk of buying it. its not worth it. you will be having more headaches if you buy it.

people can always tell you that so and so bought a similar model and it does not give them problems.

but this is a forum and who can you really trust here?

This car is only suitable for enthusiast. It is not suitable for ppl who drive from point A to B & badge whore.

↡ Advertisement