Treat OPC Cheats with Respect

Osiris

Home > ST Forum > Story

Make off-peak car scheme more attractive

IT IS heartening to learn that the Land Transport Authority (LTA) plans to encourage existing motorists to switch to off-peak vehicles ('Off-peak car scheme to get a tune-up', last Friday). Before the LTA finalises the details of its revised off-peak scheme, I would like to contribute my views as to how the off-peak car (OPC) scheme can be made more attractive, and practical, to car users.

First, treat OPC users with respect. The current system hauls an OPC user to court for non-display of the off-peak coupon before even offering him a compounded fine, and without considering that the offence may be just a slip of the mind. The offence is seen as tax evasion and exposed to a maximum penalty of $5,000 when a $200 fine would suffice as a deterrent against such negligence.

Whether the term 'supplementary licence' is used in place of the simple words 'off-peak coupon', to reflect its severity, is immaterial.

Second, the $17,000 purchase tax cut and road tax concessions spread over the 10-year lifespan of an OPC licence point towards a supplementary day licence price of $10, instead of the existing $20. Should we not allow OPC users flexibility of use rather than deter them from use during emergencies?

Restricted OPC hours on Saturdays should not just be shortened, but removed completely. Restrictions on Saturday driving for OPCs are 'anti-family' with our push for a five-day work week. Roads are mostly under-used on Saturdays. So why the need to tie such drivers to unnecessary restrictions which do not serve the purpose of the OPC scheme to cut down on 'peak-hour' vehicles?

By completely allowing OPC accessibility on our roads on Saturdays, we are encouraging family-oriented lifestyles among our people, especially in the face of the present recession. Tightly budgeted Singaporeans, if they better appreciate a full and relaxed weekend lifestyle, may even long for more children. From increased mobility, shops will find their businesses improved thanks to a multiplier effect in these bad times.

However, if we continue to harp on the tax cuts to OPC users, and demand a 'fair' deal from them with heavy penalties, expensive peak-hour use and unnecessary restrictions, we will undermine the positive effects of this otherwise excellent traffic scheme.

Jimmy Ho

How many Drivers really forget to put parking coupon?

when i didn't put it's not because I forget but don't want to put.

Same goes for OPC drivers. how can forget to put?

He also want more unrestricted time but refuse to submit to less tax cut etc.

If only he have half the intelligence of MCFers discussing about OPC, he will not be a joke

↡ Advertisement

forgot is not an excuse...how can u forgot to put OPC coupon when u noe the car u registered is obviously a red plate?

why would i forgot to put down the car brake before driving out? would I forgot to turn on the headlights when the sky is dark?

oh. i got access to 2 cars. and OPC and normal.. got once i was in a rush, i just drove off in the opc.. until at the main road i realised i havent tear cupon.. tore it there and then.. :) so it does happen once in a blue moon.

Another typical singaporean whiner. If you always put the OPC coupons on the windscreen, don't tell me a person will drive the car and not realised that he has to put coupons?

Further more if using OPC during normal hours, its ALREADY a different routine for the car owner to realised that he has to put coupons!

Unless this joker Ho Jim guy is so used to driving his OPC everyday, that there is no difference to him, and sometimes he genuinely forgot to tear the coupons.

That's a valid reason. [nod]

But how many OPC drivers have another normal car which contribute to forget to put.

most have only 1 OPC. I can't fathom how to forget in such cases

forgot is not an excuse...how can u forgot to put OPC coupon when u noe the car u registered is obviously a red plate?

why would i forgot to put down the car brake before driving out? would I forgot to turn on the headlights when the sky is dark?

I think if like new car and just change to OPC from normal plate, it might be possible, so [inlove] with new ride happy till forgotten to put, but dun think can happen second time. Or long week end, say Holiday on Friday, might mistaken as a Saturday for Sunday.

Not possible to forget everytime. Unless it is selective Amnesia [rolleyes]

[sweatdrop] I did forget to release handbrake and turn on head lite [lipsrsealed]

I have forgotten, occasionally, when i need to rush somewhere. But driving 1/2way i will realise i forgot to put, stop my car, and put. I am honest ok.

Yeah, I was driving normal plate many years before i switch to OPC 2 years ago.

I appluad the people who posted above me for having perfect memory and never forget things. Things sometimes do slip my mind, it can be OPC coupon, it can be lights, anything. Maybe I drink different brand milk powder from them when I was young so my memory not perfect like them.

Edited by Sgnick

It's very difficult to figure out who's a real cheat, and who genuinely forgets. So I think should give them a benefit of doubt and a compound fine. If get caught again then haul the fella to court straight away.

Neutral Newbie

Actually blame it on the existing weak OPC system. It has so many loopholes that easily allow pple to cheat and make it difficult to differentiate whether the person flout the rules intentionally or not.

Surprise that the authorities only finally decided to make changes to the system after so many years.

This fellow wants to use his OPC ride more frequently but at the ease of lesser burdens to his pocket [rolleyes][rolleyes][rolleyes]

OPC coupon prices request to cut 1/2, no restrictions on sat ... [gossip]

I believe many OPC owners would support this but i think many normal plate owners won't be too happy about it should this fellow's suggestion is given a green light ...

But how would an OPC owner 'may be just a slip of the mind' forgotten to place his OPC coupon when he knows fully himself that he is owning an OPC ride unless really cheonging for emergencies which is understandable [nod]

Jus like one needs to wear a Lai Kor when one leaves his house to go out unless one's Lai Kor tio stolen or one enjoys the feeling of being a 'Commando' :D

I see a colleague many days drive car into office carpark at almost 9am and leave office about 6pm.

So what's the problem you ask? Well, he is driving an OPC and I don't see any coupons displayed.

To them, morning peak hour and slow traffic, the police want to catch them also very difficult. Same for evening peak hours.

LTA is in right direction by looking towards automatic deduction when OPC cars are detected on the roads outside of stipulated hours.

i think OPC owners will only want to ask 1 thing

more flexibility on OPC usage (i.e. free on Sat), to compensate this, tax rebate will be lesser than the current

Neutral Newbie

LTA is in right direction by looking towards automatic deduction when OPC cars are detected on the roads outside of stipulated hours.

And it took them so many years to finally find this direction. :D:D

↡ Advertisement