Holux, Shinco and Marbella GPS

Limck007

Whether your Garmin is purchased from US, Taiwan, Timbaktu or the most remote part of the world, it will work anywhere in the world as long as you have the map of the particular country that you are in. The difference between the 255W bought from the US and the localised (My/Sg version) is that your US set will not be able to use the Junction View (JCV) even if you have the latest MSM NT map installed. You can still navigate with this map but the JCV will not appear during navigation. The other difference is that the US set will come with the US map pre-installed whereas the localised set will have the Garmin CN map of My and Sg and MSM NT map of My, Sg and Bru. The firmware is just a software update in your device to improve on certain functions and at the same time to rectify any weakness, if any.

I am confused. I am into buying a Garmin 265WT and I have a few queries which I hope you can advise:

a. Garmin GPSs from EastGear are loaded with SLA map and MFM map

b. Garmin GPSs from Navicom are loaded with TeleAltas and MSM map

1. Are the maps portable between Garmin GPSs from EastGear and NaviCom?

2. Garmin GPSs from Navicom is much cheaper from EastGear, can I purchase SLA map from Eastgear and load into GPS purchased from NAvicom?

3. If I purchase a GPS from Amazon, can I load either MSM map or SLA map or MFM map into imported GPS? Any conditions that I must do to enable the GPS to use the map that I want?

I am confused. I am into buying a Garmin 265WT and I have a few queries which I hope you can advise:

a. Garmin GPSs from EastGear are loaded with SLA map and MFM map

b. Garmin GPSs from Navicom are loaded with TeleAltas and MSM map

1. Are the maps portable between Garmin GPSs from EastGear and NaviCom?

2. Garmin GPSs from Navicom is much cheaper from EastGear, can I purchase SLA map from Eastgear and load into GPS purchased from NAvicom?

3. If I purchase a GPS from Amazon, can I load either MSM map or SLA map or MFM map into imported GPS? Any conditions that I must do to enable the GPS to use the map that I want?

1. Yes, technically, any maps that are loaded in a Garmin, regardless of where it is bought from, can be used on another Garmin device. However, some of these maps, especially those official Garmin maps, have unlock codes and you need a new set of unlock codes in order for the same map to work on anther Garmin device. In order to generate a new set of unlock codes, u need specific specific software together with the map ID and your device ID.

2. See no. 1.

3. MSM and MFM are third party maps and are provided free of charge without the need for unlock codes. These 2 maps of My/Sg/Bru are the choice of use by Garmin owners as they are very detailed and are very much better than the official Garmin map of Sg and My (need to buy). They can be used on any Garmin set regardless of whether it comes from Anchorage, Timbaktu, Singapore or Down Under. Since these two maps do not need any unlock codes, they are very easy to install. Go to the respective website to download them. You just need to download, unzip, copy and paste the file (gmapsupp.img) into the Garmin folder in your SD card. If u don't have the folder, just create one.

Neutral Newbie

Hi, anyone use Mabella M880 before? Is it good, am considering this GPS, but I am not sure if this is better than Garmin ...

If you are referring to the M10, please take note the screen is still the resistive type and not capacitive type ala iphone. Asus quality is there but unfortunately this phone's spec is just average so i will give it a pass.

1. Yes, technically, any maps that are loaded in a Garmin, regardless of where it is bought from, can be used on another Garmin device. However, some of these maps, especially those official Garmin maps, have unlock codes and you need a new set of unlock codes in order for the same map to work on anther Garmin device. In order to generate a new set of unlock codes, u need specific specific software together with the map ID and your device ID.

2. See no. 1.

3. MSM and MFM are third party maps and are provided free of charge without the need for unlock codes. These 2 maps of My/Sg/Bru are the choice of use by Garmin owners as they are very detailed and are very much better than the official Garmin map of Sg and My (need to buy). They can be used on any Garmin set regardless of whether it comes from Anchorage, Timbaktu, Singapore or Down Under. Since these two maps do not need any unlock codes, they are very easy to install. Go to the respective website to download them. You just need to download, unzip, copy and paste the file (gmapsupp.img) into the Garmin folder in your SD card. If u don't have the folder, just create one.

Thank you very much for the detail explanation.

Supercharged

If you are referring to the M10, please take note the screen is still the resistive type and not capacitive type ala iphone. Asus quality is there but unfortunately this phone's spec is just average so i will give it a pass.

resistive type? oh i think what u mean.

I'm using Asus P552W phone, so it's the same kind of touchscreen?

But the stand-alone Garmin GPS sets, isn't it the same type of touchsreen? resistive type?

Hi bro,

Is there a particular Garmin model that you can recommend if the following are the features I'm looking out for:

a. voice recognition (selection of destination points by voice)

b. voice/audio prompts for directions (turn left at next junction, etc)

c. good battery life (charge once every few days for about 3 hours of use daily)

d. primarily for use within SG

e. fast routing and re-routing (maximum 2 to 3 seconds)

Thanks for your help!

Tibo is a S Korean product and my ex-colleague had one. Lousy product and map details is nowhere comparable to Garmin and the customer support is lacking. As far as I know, the best brand in the market is still Garmin and the best value for money GPS device currently is the Garmin 255W (localised version). I always advocate Garmin because they are the best not just in this region but also in the world as they are the only brand that have maps of virtually every country of the world. Even brands like Tom Tom and Magellan, which are very popular on both sides of the Atlantic, are no where compared to Garmin as they lack the map support for other parts of the world. Besides, no other brands have web communities creating 3rd party maps for Garmin devices. In Sg and My, you have malsingmaps and mafreemaps. Ditto for Philippines and Indonesia. These third party maps are even better than the original Garmin map of the respective country and best of all, it is free! Of course, some may argue that Holux, Shinco, Papago devices are just as good or even better but most users of these devices are not aware of even the maps from these brands are created by malsingmap and malfreemaps. These two web communities' primary aim is to create maps for Garmin and maps for other brands are just their secondary roles. Another important point to note is that Holux, Shinco, Papago are brands that are not universally known and have maps of only this region and perhaps Asia but not beyond. It is extremely difficult to buy maps, let alone free one, of countries in other part of the world for these brands. For Garmin, if you know where to look for, u can even find free maps of many parts of the world - some routable and some not.

For anyone who knows next to nothing about GPS devices and is embarking on his first purchase of such a device, do not plunge into it straightaway. Read more into it before deciding on the particular brand to buy. Most newbie made the common mistake of buying one basing one price (cheap in most cases) and loads of bells and whistle. Most features are good to have but not need to have. The deciding factor, when buying a GPS device, which many overlooked or are ignorant about it, is the map - how detail it is, whether free or not after a certain period of promised free uploading of new map, etc. If you buy a Garmin device, the device will come with Garmin City Navigator map of Malaysia and Singapore and MSM NT map of Singapore, Malaysia and Brunei. These maps can be updated free via MSM whenever there is a new release but the Garmin CN map is free only for 2 subsequent update, if I remember correctly. Besides, you can download and install the MSM (gpsmapper version) and MFM maps forever free and their maps are updated every week!!! You can't beat this!!! For updated and most detailed maps of My, Sg and Bru (even Southern Thailand for MFM), no maps, including Garmin's official map, can beat the free MSM and MFM maps. So, Garmin is the way to go!!!

2. See no. 1.

I have purchased garmin 255W from Challenger roadshow. Apparently, the MSM map has been loaded into the device memory. If I want to use MFM map, do i just download MFM map from MFM and store it into SD card root directory?

I have purchased garmin 255W from Challenger roadshow. Apparently, the MSM map has been loaded into the device memory. If I want to use MFM map, do i just download MFM map from MFM and store it into SD card root directory?

I dunno which MSM map is being loaded into your device memory but I assumed that, since the map came pre-loaded when you bought it, it should be the MSM NT map. But, if this is the case, the MFM can also be stored in the main memory since it doesn't share the same file name as the MSM NT map. The MSM NT is named gmapprom1.img while the MFM is named gmapsupp.img. The MFM map can also be loaded in the Garmin folder in your SD card without any problem provided there is no other map, name gmapsupp.img, residing in the same folder otherwise it will overwrite it. The SD card is a secondary storage and any map that is to be stored there needs to be named gmapsupp.img and it cannot accomodate more than 1 map with the same file name. The same goes for the main memory.

Hi bro,

Is there a particular Garmin model that you can recommend if the following are the features I'm looking out for:

a. voice recognition (selection of destination points by voice)

b. voice/audio prompts for directions (turn left at next junction, etc)

c. good battery life (charge once every few days for about 3 hours of use daily)

d. primarily for use within SG

e. fast routing and re-routing (maximum 2 to 3 seconds)

Thanks for your help!

1. AFAIK, the only Garmin model with a "Speed Command" feature is the Nuvi 855. It not only tells you where to turn but listens to your spoken commands. With n

I dunno which MSM map is being loaded into your device memory but I assumed that, since the map came pre-loaded when you bought it, it should be the MSM NT map. But, if this is the case, the MFM can also be stored in the main memory since it doesn't share the same file name as the MSM NT map. The MSM NT is named gmapprom1.img while the MFM is named gmapsupp.img. The MFM map can also be loaded in the Garmin folder in your SD card without any problem provided there is no other map, name gmapsupp.img, residing in the same folder otherwise it will overwrite it. The SD card is a secondary storage and any map that is to be stored there needs to be named gmapsupp.img and it cannot accomodate more than 1 map with the same file name. The same goes for the main memory.

Yes, thank you. I have done that. I stored the map into SD Card. Few more queries:

1. When I power on the system->->map, I can see all the maps in the following order: 1)MFM Map, 2)MFM POI, 3) MSM 4)City Navigator map.

Do I need to enable all maps or check only the map that I want to use?

What is the implications if I enable all maps?

If all maps are checked, which map will be used first, is it MFM?

Hi bro,

Thanks for the info! Any recommendations on where I can pick it up and also the estimated pricing (to avoid being overcharged for it)?

1. AFAIK, the only Garmin model with a "Speed Command" feature is the Nuvi 855. It not only tells you where to turn but listens to your spoken commands. With n

Neutral Newbie

Tibo is a S Korean product and my ex-colleague had one. Lousy product and map details is nowhere comparable to Garmin and the customer support is lacking. As far as I know, the best brand in the market is still Garmin and the best value for money GPS device currently is the Garmin 255W (localised version). I always advocate Garmin because they are the best not just in this region but also in the world as they are the only brand that have maps of virtually every country of the world. Even brands like Tom Tom and Magellan, which are very popular on both sides of the Atlantic, are no where compared to Garmin as they lack the map support for other parts of the world. Besides, no other brands have web communities creating 3rd party maps for Garmin devices. In Sg and My, you have malsingmaps and mafreemaps. Ditto for Philippines and Indonesia. These third party maps are even better than the original Garmin map of the respective country and best of all, it is free! Of course, some may argue that Holux, Shinco, Papago devices are just as good or even better but most users of these devices are not aware of even the maps from these brands are created by malsingmap and malfreemaps. These two web communities' primary aim is to create maps for Garmin and maps for other brands are just their secondary roles. Another important point to note is that Holux, Shinco, Papago are brands that are not universally known and have maps of only this region and perhaps Asia but not beyond. It is extremely difficult to buy maps, let alone free one, of countries in other part of the world for these brands. For Garmin, if you know where to look for, u can even find free maps of many parts of the world - some routable and some not.

For anyone who knows next to nothing about GPS devices and is embarking on his first purchase of such a device, do not plunge into it straightaway. Read more into it before deciding on the particular brand to buy. Most newbie made the common mistake of buying one basing one price (cheap in most cases) and loads of bells and whistle. Most features are good to have but not need to have. The deciding factor, when buying a GPS device, which many overlooked or are ignorant about it, is the map - how detail it is, whether free or not after a certain period of promised free uploading of new map, etc. If you buy a Garmin device, the device will come with Garmin City Navigator map of Malaysia and Singapore and MSM NT map of Singapore, Malaysia and Brunei. These maps can be updated free via MSM whenever there is a new release but the Garmin CN map is free only for 2 subsequent update, if I remember correctly. Besides, you can download and install the MSM (gpsmapper version) and MFM maps forever free and their maps are updated every week!!! You can't beat this!!! For updated and most detailed maps of My, Sg and Bru (even Southern Thailand for MFM), no maps, including Garmin's official map, can beat the free MSM and MFM maps. So, Garmin is the way to go!!!

Thanks for such a long article to support Garmin. I am a user of multiple GPS devices.

If we are looking for the best GPS in Singapore, I think Garmin IS NOT the best one. reason are stated below:

1. Predictive keyboard:

for example: you want to search this road: "Esplanade Drive", but you may not clearly remember the exact spell of "esplanade", but if you have this predictive keyboard feature, then you can keyin "es", then the keyboard of other letters will fade out exept the letter "p" because there are no address name start with "es" in Singapore. And no need to continue to keyin more letters when you found the matches number are less than 5, just click OK, you will see your destination. In this case, you only keyin "es", then you will see "Matches 1", then no need to keyin "pl...", you can find "Esplanade Drive". With this feature, you will hardly make spelling mistake and save a lot of time to search a place when you search address. Without this feature, you may encounter many "address not found" error.

Which GPS has (not) this feature?

Garmin: NO.

PapagoX3: YES.

Shinco's Mapking LandMark: NO.

Mabella's NavFDrive: NO.

Tibo: NO.

2. Yellow page:

This feature is very useful when you go out for dinner or other places which need advance booking, because when you drive (not in your office), the easiest way to make reservation is to call the restaurant. This feature tell you all the telephone number listed in the hardcopy of singapore yellow pages.

PapagoX3: NO.

Mabella's NavFDrive: YES.

3. ERP charging rate:

This feature is also very useful when you drive in Singapore.

PapagoX3: NO.

Mabella's NavFDrive: YES.

4. FULL Postal Code Search:

If you search "118431" in MFM maps, no results. if "117546", totally wrong place. The postal code of SG in MFM or MSM is not verified by any responsible authorities. So if the map data is not SLA (Singapore Land Authority) supported, it maybe wrong. Only the Garmin from eastgear has the SLA supported map, but it is not good, because the postal code in that map is many isolated dots without address name.

Garmin's MFM map: NO.

Garmin's SLA map: not good.

Eastgear's PapagoX3's SLA map: Very Good.

Shinco's Mapking Landmark' SLA map: Very Good

Mabella's NavFDrive: Good.

Tibo: Good.

Neutral Newbie

Hi bro,

Thanks for the info! Any recommendations on where I can pick it up and also the estimated pricing (to avoid being overcharged for it)?

the nuvi 855 is not available in Singapore.

Neutral Newbie

2. See no. 1.

agree.

Neutral Newbie

I'm deciding between the Garmin Nuvi 1350 and Holux 6210T. Was pretty impressed with the Holux 6210T SLA maps. Looks more detailed than the map on the Garmin Nuvi 1350.

Considering that I prefer to have Live Traffic Update, which of the 2 is a better choice?

Garmin: Needs an extra adapter for $79

Holux: Built into that cradle, no wires. Also bigger screen.

How are Papago maps (used in Holux) for Australia? Any better than Gamin Australia Maps?

↡ Advertisement