Holux, Shinco and Marbella GPS

Limck007

Actually in order to have a quick fix, the vehicle must be stationary before you move on.

If the vehicle keeps moving, it will take a much longer time to get a fix.

It also depends if the signal is block by some brands of window film, too near to the roof (metal), etc...

Unless the antenna is external type, else built-in antenna is not as sensitive as those external patch type.

Number of channel on the module and processor plays a part too...

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

===============

If u good with SG roads then u dont need it but u can keep in case u go MY. then it wil b very useful.. Can find your way around even at night.

I used it in MY at night especially & really great.

Especially since it warns u of whats ahead like sharp bends or junctions & split roads. It indirectly tells u when u need to slow down. Best is it tells u to keep left or right when u coming to roads that split or turns-off main road.

Another good point noted. But maybe abit difficult for me to go traveling within the next one year. My boy is only 6 months now. Think guai guai stay at SG play with son easier. Bring infant go overseas is a big project.

i had 2... shinco is always my backup.. a trusty gps device especially in MY.. [thumbsup]

============

Yup I find the Shinco very good in MY & SG. Surprisingly its made in China. [rolleyes]

mainly is junction view and street-name directions.

with entry, u just get "turn right at 300 metres ahead"

==============

junction view might b useful, especially if got several lanes turning left, right & go straight.

But the street-name turning I dont think so important unless got more than 1 lane turning side by side, which is very rare.

I find my GPS accurate to abt 5 meters, so can see quite clearly where to turn.

Can share the reason? My friend keep saying Mapking lousy. Ask me use Malsing in Sin. So far I've been sticking to Malsing. Intend to try mapking next week.

=============

I find the Mapking more in detail & accurate for SG.

In MY I use malsing & its very accurate.

Why dont u try for yourself & see which 1 u prefer.

I use mapking but it only goes upto about Southern City in JB so everytime I want to go further up I need to switch to the malsing map. Otherwise I just leave it in Mapking.

I always have problems if i move off & there r many big trees along the road. It cannot get a good signal & takes quite some time to get a fix.

If there is no blockage towards the sky, the fix takes only abt 2-3 mins while on the move. [thumbsup]

Another good point noted. But maybe abit difficult for me to go traveling within the next one year. My boy is only 6 months now. Think guai guai stay at SG play with son easier. Bring infant go overseas is a big project.

===============

Its still good for the same reasons in SG if u r not familiar with the roads especially at night.

===============

If your GPS has a select for different types of route eg: shortest, recommended, avoid e'way & prefer e'way use it to choose.

I usually go with "recommended" unless I have a special reason to change.

Mapking sud b better for SG & Malsing for MY.

it sounds like shinco's recommended is the equivalent for garmin's fastest route

what's your comment on this gps?

well it serve me in sg/MY. i do know it lacks of many features such as junction view.. but i can do without those 'enhance' features...

in SG, i'm using SLA map and MY, i'm using mfm... the map looks plain.. at times, i have difficulties searching for places... (becos i dont know how) it might be a bit tough for newbie... but as usual, once u learn it, u will like it..

SLA map.. u can do postal code search and it is easier... and i cant seem to do it mfm maps... but the POI is kinda of updated.. so no issue in MY... u just have to be a bit "techie" using shinco...

road search also not easy... it depends on the spelling... in my MY trip, we have tibo, shinco, garmin... and we all start search for strange road names.. (the one who found it, will lead the convoy) To my surprise, tibo is the winner :D and garmin is the worst... [:p]

maybe my kaki sucks in his garmin.. [laugh]

After this experience, i got myself a all-maps-in-one gps (garmin/papago/mapking)with many gps s/w... kiasu abit... [laugh]

anyway, right now, its my backup gps and i lend it to my friends / colleagues travelling to MY...

=============

I know someone who gave up using her Garmin GPS cos it took so long to lock on to the satellites. She reach her destination in abt 15 mins & it still havent got a fix.

But I tried it in the open & not moving around & it took only a few minutes to get a fix.

It might b her Lexus 300 got some interference due to window film used. Maybe it blocks the signals? She wanted to give to me but I already had a Shinco so I didnt need it. Last I heard she just keep it in the box collecting dust. [laugh]

If her Lexus got V-kool (metalize type), then it's known to have intefere with satellite satellite signal. Ceramic type of solar film will be better for GPS.

Neutral Newbie

Any user of Marbella M550 Plus? Is it good?

I just collected mine 2 weeks ago. So far so good. The recalculation time if i never follow its recommended route is pretty fast. On average, it takes about 10s. My friend wanted to buy after hearing I bought it for $169 at expo fair but I called Makagps to check a couple of days ago and they say now no stock. Need to pre-order. But they selling at $199 currently. I was lucky because they only sold at that price to the first 30 customer.

If her Lexus got V-kool (metalize type), then it's known to have intefere with satellite satellite signal. Ceramic type of solar film will be better for GPS.

=================

Ya thats why I was thinking the metallic film was used on her car. But sometimes even my GPS takes a very long time to get a fix.

Maybe other reasons cud b signal is not clear due to clouds or overhead trees or high buildings surround area?

it sounds like shinco's recommended is the equivalent for garmin's fastest route

=============

Not too sure cos I never used garmin b4. But it sounds likely.

=================

Ya thats why I was thinking the metallic film was used on her car. But sometimes even my GPS takes a very long time to get a fix.

Maybe other reasons cud b signal is not clear due to clouds or overhead trees or high buildings surround area?

i suspect is her gps. i read in many feedbacks, seldom film give problem. probably she wants to flash her firmware?

Neutral Newbie

I am using a Marbella M880. The fixing is approx 8 sec. The rerouting is approx < 5 secs.

Overall good but will use it for a while to give more feedback on the maps..

i suspect is her gps. i read in many feedbacks, seldom film give problem. probably she wants to flash her firmware?

===============

What is this & how to solve?

↡ Advertisement