Holux, Shinco and Marbella GPS

Limck007

Neutral Newbie

just to share some information,

just went to Audio Hse yesterday .>> got some sale on old gps model...50% but most of the discounted model are EXTERNAL antenna based..., so i never buy..

But now i think the value for $$$ GPS shld be Holux 61 and Shinco GM4300 (it suits my budget of $400 and 4.3")

Both sets specs are quite similiar with only exceptional is that 61 dont have bluetooth, 4300 got. BUT 61 is slimer as compared to 4300 (abt slimer by half)

The only bad thing is that the Holux 61 and GM4300 is old technology one 24 channel statelite tihngy.

GM4380 and Holux 62 are the latest one with 32 channels but are slight above $400

Recently i heard that Marbella GPS are good too... but i never heard of it b4.. anyone got information???

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Thinking of getting a navi during the coming IT show..

for a price of $400, i tihnk i can choose Marbella ONYX, shinco GM4000, garmin 205W only..

In terms of specs wise i think Onyx is better but i heard the malsing map for garmin is better leh ...

can i have some feedback on the usage and performance (sate lock, reroute etc etc) on of the gps?

its better to get brands with frequent updating of maps. better still, if there is a community of gps enthusiast who updates the maps with latest POIs every single week!

recommended: garmin + malsingmaps!

Neutral Newbie

its better to get brands with frequent updating of maps. better still, if there is a community of gps enthusiast who updates the maps with latest POIs every single week!

recommended: garmin + malsingmaps!

but i scare i dont know how to install/update the malsingmaps leh...

i read the malsing forum liao... i still blur regarding how to update the gps loh... I scare i buy liao, then dont know / never update the map ... ==> which is y i am more incline on using mapking...

Any experience on updating malsing maps??

Neutral Newbie

just download the maps, and upload to your gps memory card. :)

so ez ???

i read that need to do send msg to the moderator to get unlock codes , then must use some software to upload the map to the card leh

for me i didn't get a dedicated GPS device for driving because it is impossible to be lost in SG.

so i bought a gps receiver (holux 1200) from the internet. around $80 +shipping.

i paired it with my pda phone + mapking or garmin

if i am in SG, malaysia, HK and i need GPS, i run mapking.

if i am in other country i can use Garmin and load the maps (aust, usa, europe)

it's cheaper for me because most dedicated GPS device costs between $250 onwards.

I prefer Mapking map..

Malsing map may not go into small roads details.

Updating of Mapking map is pretty easy.

Currently using Shinco, initial tot is may not be as gd, but still go ahead to try. However when use, I change my tot. Its quite gd. Capturing of GPS signal and reroute is fast..

Conclusion: Mapking - Shinco

Neutral Newbie

I prefer Mapking map..

Malsing map may not go into small roads details.

Updating of Mapking map is pretty easy.

Currently using Shinco, initial tot is may not be as gd, but still go ahead to try. However when use, I change my tot. Its quite gd. Capturing of GPS signal and reroute is fast..

Conclusion: Mapking - Shinco

thks thks.... now i am tihnking of getting Marbella M550 with Mapking @ $399

hehe

Neutral Newbie

are they all plug and play? must install/run cables in the car? can plug out and use for travel issit?

the only cable is the charging cable = car charger version loh

Neutral Newbie

went to IT fair and tried my hands on Holux 61, 62, garmin 205W, 255W and Marbella M550 and oynx ...

all these are within my budget of $400 .

i will be buying Marbella M550 =D

my comments on the sets are as follow... they are just my 2 cents worth of comments

Holux 62 and 61>>>

Pro

1) 62 has a DAMM big screen!!!

2)Both 61 and 62 have excellent software-> the loading and refreshment of the map when dragging is superb. The lag is not noticable. Very smooth.

3)both have TTS => text to speech >> very precise guiding ->" 400m to exit by using EXIT 11" rather than just plainly "400m to exit"

4) can play video, pics and navigate too.

5) for the past 2 years out of good will, East Gear provides free updates to all his clients (but this is Not part of the warrenty or gps package. They just do it out of good will )

6) got sleek design

Cons

1) no FM transmitter -> i scare the speaker might be too soft when i am using the set to watch movie hehe

2) maps are integrated into the Holux software (in the sd card) -->cannot just change SD card to load map. Need to find specific maps tat are compatible with Holux then have to install

3) so far, not much oversea map except for Spore and M'lsia

Garmin 205W and 255W

Pros

1)Both have excellent software-> the loading and refreshment of the map when dragging is superb. The lag is not noticable. Very smooth.

2) Can use both mapking ,malsing and other maps => alot of maps to choose

3)for the past 2 years out of good will, East Gear provides free updates to all his clients (but this is Not part of the warrenty or gps package. They just do it out of good will )

Cons

1) 205W>> no Text to speech function. Only 255w got

2) 205W >> no FM transmitter. ONly 255W got

3) both cannot play movie or pics. Can only navigate. ==> FM transmitter just for navigation only -_-|||

4) both got sleek design

marbella M550

Pros

1)the company provides free updates to all his clients. This is part of the gps packeage.

2) Free loan of other countries map when going overseas (up to 4months)

3) have FM transmitter

4) can play movie and pics too. => with FM transmitter , the movie sound can be broadcast using the car speaker

5) got Text to Speech (TTS) function

6) can use both mapking and malsing maps

Cons

1) the loading and refreshment of the map when dragging is abit slow as compare to the other 2 brands. The lag is there.

2)design abit plain

Today's Straits Times - PC Show special showcases the Holux 62 with the 3D navigation for SG !!

Finally after a few years of compiling the 3d buildings !!

Do give a review if anyone is purchasing this :)

I heard that TTS is not that "useful" on local/MY street names, it cannot pronounce those Malay and Chinese street names properly, is it true?

Neutral Newbie

just bought the holux 62 pro yesterday at IT show, very nice 3D graphic, can show some of the main building ( not all ), very easy to navigate and the update is quite fast, and i like the touch screen, very accurate and responsive.

langague got english, chinese, cantonese, hokkien, hakka, malay, quite easy to understand not like my old TiBo, changi rd become change-ji rd, ang mo kio become eng mo keeyo, hougang become hiu-gang..haha..

Neutral Newbie

Hi guys,

I bought the Holux 62 yesterday at the PC Show. Just to check, can we leave the unit mounted at the windscreen all the time? Will it get damaged by the sun rays and heat?

I bought the holux6.1 at the last IT fair. So far, it had broke down twice.

First time its the battery, went for the replacement.

2nd time, which is now, the software JAM. Still waiting for the IT fair to be over so i can go back to EASTGEAR to change it.

Freaking troublesome...

Should had got the garmin [smallcry]

Neutral Newbie

Hi guys,

I bought the Holux 62 yesterday at the PC Show. Just to check, can we leave the unit mounted at the windscreen all the time? Will it get damaged by the sun rays and heat?

u can leave it on the screen>> will not "overheat "/

but might get stolen !!!

↡ Advertisement