Brand or oil rating?

MacDuck

Hi guys,

Pricing aside, do you pick engine oil based on brand or ratings(API, etc).

Used to buy "branded" oil until the last two oil changes where I tried cheap dino synthetic oil.

Its almost more than 50% cheaper, meets API SL spec and 5W30, can't feel any diff in my gf's 3yr old Latio.

For normal road driving, as long as oil meets spec + 10K OCI = safe to use?

↡ Advertisement

Its almost more than 50% cheaper, meets API SL spec and 5W30, can't feel any diff in my gf's 3yr old Latio.

You already answered your own question. Expensive doesn't mean it's great, like wise, cheap doesn't mean it's no good.

quality. which usually comes with a brand.

btw what is "dino synthetic"? it's either dino or synthetic...

some people are more fussy / paranoid than others, so they'll want to put in high grade boutique oils. but others take whatever's cheapest. there's no one good answer. depends on who (or what) you choose to believe.

but at the end of the day it's keeping to regular OCI and sticking to them that is most important.

10,000km OCI is best reserved for high quality and proven fully synthetic oil. mineral or cheap synthetics should see 5k OCI.

if its cheap enough, can even do 5k oci ..... like that your engine will like you better .... [laugh]

With 5k oci, perhaps your mechanic also like you - good business for mechanic. [laugh]

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Hi guys,

Pricing aside, do you pick engine oil based on brand or ratings(API, etc).

Used to buy "branded" oil until the last two oil changes where I tried cheap dino synthetic oil.

For normal road driving, as long as oil meets spec + 10K OCI = safe to use?

siaooo latio is family car. no need branded loh

my parent latio, i use car|ube haa & change at every 15k to 20k. nothing hapen =)

fc at average of 13km/l

Edited by Iforu
↡ Advertisement