Riding between lanes, a form of defensive riding?

Kelpie

Hi car owners,

Do you think riding in between lanes is a form of defensive riding for the riders? Why can't riders ride within lane? Some of us don't mind them to ride between lanes to get to the front at traffic lights.

Should we all start to adopt a protocol to honk to alert rider who is riding infront of you but riding in between lanes or by the edge of the lane? Sometimes, I find some of them are opportuntists, machiam seating on fence to see which lane is to their advantages. By doing so, it kinds of inconvenient the drivers behind, i.e. we wonder whether we should just overtake or stay behind them?

Your view please.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Riding between lanes is only good for overtaking.

In theory, Defensive is to ride just offset on any lane.

1) As it allows you to quickly swerve to the next lane should you need to.

2) The cars in the nearby lane will know your close presence, and subconsciously will anticipate your sudden action if it happend. riding in the center of a lane, does not give other road user this 'potential pre-warning' signal.

3) You avoid the slippery arrow marks and the oil spills on the middle part of each lane.

In actual fact, the presence of a small motorcyle who is just following a safety distance from the car infront, is 101% sure to cause annoyance to the car behind!

1) Taxi will overtake motorcyclist IN the Same lane, pushing the motorcycle away since there is 'ample' space set aside when the bike is off-center in the lane

2) There is no such thing as safe swerving in Singapore packed traffic condition. Swerving will 99% cause the motorcyle to bang into the car beside it!

3) Car has four tyres, bike has two. Normal bike braking distance will be longer. (braking might be shorter if you are riding those super bike like CBR, GXS, etc)

So in conclusion.......the only defensive riding is to ride when the traffic is very light!

Defensive riding in peak rush hour is still playing with the devil. Just look at the way taxis and lorries cut in and out of lanes....they already don't car about cars...you think they look out for small bikes?

• Praise 1

Hi car owners,

Do you think riding in between lanes is a form of defensive riding for the riders? Why can't riders ride within lane? Some of us don't mind them to ride between lanes to get to the front at traffic lights.

Should we all start to adopt a protocol to honk to alert rider who is riding infront of you but riding in between lanes or by the edge of the lane? Sometimes, I find some of them are opportuntists, machiam seating on fence to see which lane is to their advantages. By doing so, it kinds of inconvenient the drivers behind, i.e. we wonder whether we should just overtake or stay behind them?

Your view please.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

From your views on this issue.....it's for sure you don't ride but like to open your mouth for nothing and pass judgement on riders just becos you have encountered a few moronic riders yourself.

Go to SingpaporeBikes and ask lah and I'm sure you'll be BBQ for this! :D

Rdgs

================================================================

When have any of your posts been constructive anyway!

I think most of them don't ride within a lane cos car drivers will force them out if it. I often see that happening...especially to those p-plate bikers who tends to right within a lane.

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Just overtake them if they want to ride between lanes. They don't care about their safety, then I shouldn't also. I see it as "Come Bang Me" taunt.

If it for defensive, then i drive between lane can? NooBs.

BUT, i do respect biker who ride in lane and i'll keep a look-out on them (etc. keep a safe distance from them).

Edited by Turbine
  • Praise 1

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

From your views on this issue.....it's for sure you don't ride but like to open your mouth for nothing and pass judgement on riders just becos you have encountered a few moronic riders yourself.

Go to SingpaporeBikes and ask lah and I'm sure you'll be BBQ for this! :D

Rdgs

Only rider can comment?

Then if you are not in law studies you can comment about the law system ma?

Edited by Turbine

Giving my personal 4 cents, as a biker and a driver

one of the main reason why biker don move in lane is because a bike do not have the braking ability like a car. a sudden tab on the brake will cause the front wheel to give way, and result to what we call a low-sided. Hence most of the time (if not all), even if the traffic flow is fast enff, we still prefer to travel on middle of lanes. If a car can't avoid chain accident, a biker sure gg.

of course, willn't denied another reason is because middle of lane can move faster (when there is a jam).

In every circle, there are sure to be black sheep, be it biker or driver. as a biker, if you want to travel between lane, you should be of a reasonable speed. riding between lane with speed slower then the cars, you are trying ur luck. However, as a car driver myself, I would urge driver, if possible, give some leniency to biker. Most biker will give the respect to driver. either for the attitude within the driver who handle that car, if not, for the metals that surrounding the driver. Driver that forcing biker out of lane, knowing that the biker will sure siam cause they cannot afford a single lightest contact with the car, is super low class. I personally encounter few time too. And this will be the time I show the driver what can 160HP on a 200kg machine do.

End of day, it is really abt respect, accomodate, compromise.

• Praise 1

If got respect, accomodation and compromise...

THEN WON"T HAVE POLICE STATIONS AND COURT HOUSE LIAO!

And also what the fark would STOMP.com do? :D

Hi car owners,

Your view please.

Thank you very much.

Regards,

I don't mind them riding at the edge of the lane. I do mind them squeezing between moving vehicles.

Riding in between lanes and squeezing cannot be avoided but can only be "transitional" In doing so , the rider must watch his safety distance from other road users and to get out of that position ASAP. this doesnt mean weaving in and out traffic is OK.

Riders who perpetually ride in between lanes are goons and belong to the early 70s. They should be barred from the roads.

Car drivers should understand and not overtake bikers too closely.

Just overtake them if they want to ride between lanes. They don't care about their safety, then I shouldn't also. I see it as "Come Bang Me" taunt.

If it for defensive, then i drive between lane can? NooBs.

BUT, i do respect biker who ride in lane and i'll keep a look-out on them (etc. keep a safe distance from them).

Yes, I do the same too. I also lookout for bikers who ride infront of me and stay within lane. Even when I'm riding those days, I also didn't like to ride between lanes. Of course, now with a car, I find less opportunity to ride a bike these days.

The problem with riding in between lanes doesn't give a clear indication whether they want to move to the left lane or the right lane.

Regards,

Riding in between lanes and squeezing cannot be avoided but can only be "transitional" In doing so , the rider must watch his safety distance from other road users and to get out of that position ASAP. this doesnt mean weaving in and out traffic is OK.

Riders who perpetually ride in between lanes are goons and belong to the early 70s. They should be barred from the roads.

Car drivers should understand and not overtake bikers too closely.

I personally find riding in between lanes dangerous especially on E-way. For the purpose of overtaking, that we can understand but not perpetually.

Regards,

Neutral Newbie

riding in between lanes on the painted dotted lines is very unsafe as the paint marks are slippery.

the best would be to ride slightly to the left or right of the arrow in the centre of the lanes. we are taught to ride safely in that manner in driving school.

the problem is those that do not remember what they are taught in the schools or who are not taught properly when they take lessons for a licence. (i seem to see a prevalence of malaysian bikers who ride with less thought for road safety)

• Praise 1

riding in between lanes on the painted dotted lines is very unsafe as the paint marks are slippery.

the best would be to ride slightly to the left or right of the arrow in the centre of the lanes. we are taught to ride safely in that manner in driving school.

the problem is those that do not remember what they are taught in the schools or who are not taught properly when they take lessons for a licence. (i seem to see a prevalence of malaysian bikers who ride with less thought for road safety)

90% of bikers are riding between lanes....

the rules set by riding schools are technically correct in a perfect world....

its those idiotic and big ego drivers that spoils everything..... tailgating a biker and forcing them out of their lanes etc...

• Praise 1

Giving my personal 4 cents, as a biker and a driver

one of the main reason why biker don move in lane is because a bike do not have the braking ability like a car. a sudden tab on the brake will cause the front wheel to give way, and result to what we call a low-sided. Hence most of the time (if not all), even if the traffic flow is fast enff, we still prefer to travel on middle of lanes. If a car can't avoid chain accident, a biker sure gg.

of course, willn't denied another reason is because middle of lane can move faster (when there is a jam).

In every circle, there are sure to be black sheep, be it biker or driver. as a biker, if you want to travel between lane, you should be of a reasonable speed. riding between lane with speed slower then the cars, you are trying ur luck. However, as a car driver myself, I would urge driver, if possible, give some leniency to biker. Most biker will give the respect to driver. either for the attitude within the driver who handle that car, if not, for the metals that surrounding the driver. Driver that forcing biker out of lane, knowing that the biker will sure siam cause they cannot afford a single lightest contact with the car, is super low class. I personally encounter few time too. And this will be the time I show the driver what can 160HP on a 200kg machine do.

End of day, it is really abt respect, accomodate, compromise.

I used to be like you, one car and a bike. I usually don't attempt lane 1 on bike. I find it dangerous for slower bikers like me to ply in between lane 1 and lane2 on the E-way. For Bikers to be on lane one, usually , the driver behind doesn't show much patience unless, you are travelling much faster if not just have to give way.

So one possible reason for not riding in the middle of the lane is for avoidance of a collision.

Regards,

Riding between lanes is only good for overtaking.

In theory, Defensive is to ride just offset on any lane.

1) As it allows you to quickly swerve to the next lane should you need to.

2) The cars in the nearby lane will know your close presence, and subconsciously will anticipate your sudden action if it happend. riding in the center of a lane, does not give other road user this 'potential pre-warning' signal.

3) You avoid the slippery arrow marks and the oil spills on the middle part of each lane.

In actual fact, the presence of a small motorcyle who is just following a safety distance from the car infront, is 101% sure to cause annoyance to the car behind!

1) Taxi will overtake motorcyclist IN the Same lane, pushing the motorcycle away since there is 'ample' space set aside when the bike is off-center in the lane

2) There is no such thing as safe swerving in Singapore packed traffic condition. Swerving will 99% cause the motorcyle to bang into the car beside it!

3) Car has four tyres, bike has two. Normal bike braking distance will be longer. (braking might be shorter if you are riding those super bike like CBR, GXS, etc)

So in conclusion.......the only defensive riding is to ride when the traffic is very light!

Defensive riding in peak rush hour is still playing with the devil. Just look at the way taxis and lorries cut in and out of lanes....they already don't car about cars...you think they look out for small bikes?

Good analogy....u come out ownself or cut and paste from motobike forum

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

I used to be like you, one car and a bike. I usually don't attempt lane 1 on bike. I find it dangerous for slower bikers like me to ply in between lane 1 and lane2 on the E-way. For Bikers to be on lane one, usually , the driver behind doesn't show much patience unless, you are travelling much faster if not just have to give way.

So one possible reason for not riding in the middle of the lane is for avoidance of a collision.

Regards,

driver behind dun show patience prob because the biker is road hogging.

anyway, must commend that most, if not all bikers i encounter are very alert, the moment they see u approaching (dun really need to go near), they either speed up, or move out of lane 1 to 2.. unlike some drivers...living in their own sweet dreamland..

↡ Advertisement