Advanced driving skills

Kiwi

Neutral Newbie

Anyone knows where can I go to learn more advanced driving skills? Control car during skidding, wet road condition...etc

Not sure what is the scope of BMW and Mercedes's driving courses. Anybody has attended those and what is your feedback?

Else are they any other/better alternatives?

↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Anyone knows where can I go to learn more advanced driving skills? Control car during skidding, wet road condition...etc

Not sure what is the scope of BMW and Mercedes's driving courses. Anybody has attended those and what is your feedback?

AAS is conducting one on the 25th April 2009

http://www.aas.com.sg/?show=content&sh...=9&val=154#

I'm signing up for it, so as to learn how to control my car better.

i also wanna sign up.. skid control is drifting ah...

Skid control is anti-slide or slide-limiting. Any idiot with half a brain can slide a car. It takes someone who knows how to control it well to drift.

Neutral Newbie

Skid control is anti-slide or slide-limiting. Any idiot with half a brain can slide a car. It takes someone who knows how to control it well to drift.

but i thought advanced driving covers hand brake drifting too? as well as emergency brake, high speed braking, anticipating danger etc.

Supercharged

The AAS one stated that insurance for participants car not included.. so if u pichar ur car then ur own problem.. [rolleyes]

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

You can use your car but I am afraid there are no commercially run programs in Singapore.

Let's hope it will change with the upcoming Changi Motorsports Hub.

To date, BMW (PML) operates the longest running advanced/defensive driving courses in Singapore, originally for BMW owners only but is also available now at extra costs to non-owners.

A reminder: drifting and most circuit sports are bad for your tires. You will have to need a new set by the end of the day.

Edited by Fifteen

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Circuit motorsports in Singapore are made possible when the purpose-built Changi Motorsports Hub opens in late 2011.

In the meantime Singaporeans who want to drive on the track, has to make do with the Johor Circuit (www.johorcircuit.com.my) at Pasir Gudang in Johor Bahru, which is a 40 minutes jaunt by car.

What do circuit motorsports comprise of? Well, SG Changi Pte Ltd, the developer and owner of Changi Motorsports Hub, has the following events lined up for its upcoming circuit complex. The following listing pretty much sums it up for us.

International and regional events :

Super GT Series

FIA 'T'

D1 Grand Prix

Formula Nippon

Japan Formula 3 Series

Asia Festival Of Speed Series

Local events:

Singapore National Championship

Karting Championship

Drag Racing Championship

Drifting Championship

Taxi Driver Rally (really?!)

Besides competitive events, advanced driving courses should be considered as one of the activities of circuit motorsports. Advanced driving is a personal favorite item as I am not exactly a fan of competitive motorsports.

Edited by Fifteen

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Getting started : the helmet.

The helmet is a compulsory item. You will need to wear a helmet on the track.

Unlike a biker, there is no need to invest in an expensive one (the reasons are pretty obvious).

I would recommend vintage open face helmets. First of all, vintage helmets are lighter than the modern, full-face types. Secondly, they are considerably cheaper. I got mine at S$14! Vintage helmets are usually worn by middle-age, "uncle" motorcyclists. [:p]

The picture here will show you an example of a vintage open face helmet:

http://i46.tinypic.com/es6veb.jpg

Edited by Fifteen

Neutral Newbie

That's right. How will this enhance cabbies' driving skills and road etiquettes? Sending them to advanced driving courses?

Neutral Newbie

Enthusiast drivers usually progress from advanced driving to track driving.

Track driving provides the opportunity to enjoy your car at high speed safely and without fear of losing your license.

A seasoned track driver knows how to control and manage his vehicle. It is not so much as to record the fastest lap time but to hone one's driving skills; to enjoy the vehicle at its limits and to learn about the dynamics of a car at high speed and learning to attempt tricky maneuvers - usually things you can't and aren't suppose to do on public roads.

Neutral Newbie

try looking at online driving school. there's a lot out their.

spectre parts - a/c hose