Does Epica Diesel make any sense ...

EventH

Epica Diesel

post-3373-1236506556_thumb.jpg

"Both the Chevrolet Epica and Chevrolet Captiva SUV models are now offered with a diesel power plant. Both models now get the 2.0 liter turbocharged diesel engine which is good for 148HP and 320Nm of torque.

More importantly, this new engine is supposed to improve performance figures on both models. Compared to the Epica with a 144HP 2.0 liter petrol, sprint figure is improved by 0.9 seconds to 10.6 seconds and top speed is rated at 205 km/h with the diesel engine, instead of 195 km/h with the 2.0 petrol. In the Captiva, the 2.0 diesel is able to propel the SUV to the 100 km/h mark in 12.2 seconds compared to 12.5 seconds with the 136HP 2.4 liter petrol, and top speed is figured at 180 km/h instead of 178 km/h.

Both the Epica and Captiva models with diesel comes with a 6 speed automatic and a 5 speed automatic transmission respectively. On top of the reduction in diesel taxes in Singapore, Chevrolet is absorbing half of the diesel tax for the first three years for the diesel powered Captiva to encourage more buyers to take home diesel powered vehicles. However, no news yet regarding the similar promotion for the Epica.

The Captiva SUV with diesel carries a price tag of S$ 89,200 inclusive of COE. Pricing for the diesel powered Epica is yet to be released. "

Especially when paired up with this (promises of up to another 20% lower FC) and

post-3373-1236506566_thumb.jpg

Nice comfy sedan, huge boot, good FC + good power + fantastic torque, 6spd auto!!!

I wonder how much it is going to cost the end user.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

wow.. but i think diesel tax is still quite prohibitive for those who do not drive much. after first 3 years, how?

20% lower FC? FC could be even lower than that. not to mention diesel is still cheaper than petrol in SG. i think in city traffic, low end of diesel engine is a bigger advantage. when cruising, not so much effect. but we know what kinda traffic conditions exist here/

• Praise 1

2L diesel 7.6 litres /100 km

2L I-6 petrol 8.2 litres /100 km

2.5L I-6 petrol 9.3 litres /100 km

If chipping can bring the consumption down by another 20% ... than "ho seh" liao.

Based on overseas prices, the diesel one should cost more than the 2.5L.

Diesel Tax for 2L is another $2.5k per year over the regular road tax.

But the 2.5L has to pay additional $600 road tax over the 2L one.

(considering the diesel's HP and torque figures, I think the 2.5L petrol is a fairer comparison)

If driven for 5 years, with the subisidy averaged out and subtracting the additional road tax for 2.5L ...

it still works out to be around $120 more per month.

With diesel fuel being 27% cheaper than ron95 ...

Need 500+km per month to break even based on manufacturers FC figures.

Hypersonic

It is definitely worth it if you drive a lot. This promotion is good, I hope VW does something similar.

Diesel now is only $0.94. Caltex has 18% discount for diesel.

(edited)

Buying diesel cars in Singapore gotta be careful. If it's an Euro IV engine, cannot pump Malaysian diesel. Malaysian diesel only to Euro II standards.

BTW, are all new diesel vehicles sold here now Euro IV compliant?

Edited by Flying_genie
  • Praise 1

wow.. but i think diesel tax is still quite prohibitive for those who do not drive much. after first 3 years, how?

anything goes.

who know after a year or 2.

diesel tax might get adjusted again.

• Praise 1

It is definitely worth it if you drive a lot. This promotion is good, I hope VW does something similar.

Diesel now is only $0.94. Caltex has 18% discount for diesel.

how to get the 18% caltex discount?

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

Heard from a friend who went to test drive last weekend it's super powerful and the torque is great. He also mentioned that it's up to 40% petrol savings not only 20%. Only problem is there is a taxation involved but dealers are subsidying I think. Oh yes, it's Euro 4 but look at it this way. Diesel prices in SG is so cheap why spoil your car using MY fuel? hehe.

So how what's the verdict? Diesel go? No go? I think based on road tax prices, power of the car, long term maintenance cost, low diesel prices I would say even if the tax is high (not sure how much now) but it may just be worthwhile. Comments?

• Praise 1

buying diesel isn't prohibitive.

the rear of epica is.

nice one. but that's not the owner's problem. it's everyone elses [laugh]

• Praise 1

Heard from a friend who went to test drive last weekend it's super powerful and the torque is great. He also mentioned that it's up to 40% petrol savings not only 20%. Only problem is there is a taxation involved but dealers are subsidying I think. Oh yes, it's Euro 4 but look at it this way. Diesel prices in SG is so cheap why spoil your car using MY fuel? hehe.

So how what's the verdict? Diesel go? No go? I think based on road tax prices, power of the car, long term maintenance cost, low diesel prices I would say even if the tax is high (not sure how much now) but it may just be worthwhile. Comments?

the comment of malaysian diesel is not about going into JB to pump and then come home... if malaysian diesel isn't suitable for our diesel cars, then u basically cannot use your car for road trip outside singapore at all, it'll cripple itself halfway thru johor...

• Praise 1

Buying diesel cars in Singapore gotta be careful. If it's an Euro IV engine, cannot pump Malaysian diesel. Malaysian diesel only to Euro II standards.

It there such a thing as euro 4 diesel? I know about engine only, didnt know that diesel have grade also [confused]
  • Praise 1

It there such a thing as euro 4 diesel? I know about engine only, didnt know that diesel have grade also [confused]

there is ULSD which is the correct term for diesel meant for the euro 3 & 4 diesel engines.

euro 4 engine needs diesel that has <50ppm sulphur content.... hence ULSD.

malaysia's diesel has high sulphur content [sweatdrop]

anyway malaysia still on diesel that meet euro 2 standards.

it wouldn't kill a euro 4 engine if u r just going to use 1 or 2 tank once a year during road trip.

at most change the sensor since it will be covered with more soot.

buying diesel isn't prohibitive.

the rear of epica is.

:D Wat a way to put it!

I think the compared to the rear of epica, the qashqai is even more prohibitive to u rite? [:p]

• Praise 1

Yes. All new diesel vehicles sold here have to be Euro IV compliant now.

I think this regulation started way back in 2007.

↡ Advertisement