Renault Megane

Ehonda

Neutral Newbie

Helping my friend to post .. he currently driving the 1.6 Golf - http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.ph...393&DL=1000 .. thinking of changing car .. he is interested in the Renault Megane.
any comments/reviews ?

Below are some of the cars he found ..
Tis wan got higher COE, declared 6 airbags
http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.ph...116&DL=1191

Not sure why tis wan only 2 airbags, was there ever an option for the additional curtain airbags?
COE oso lower, younger by 6mth, rd tax just paid, and mileage is a mere 30k kms(but then again u guys said mileage can be tampered).
http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.ph...264&DL=1000

New is going at 56k but seems like OMV beli low, dunoe due to what...

Preferably looking for the Estate/Tourer version with the chrome roof rails, but seems like only one avail on sgarmart, and seems not so neat, details oso nvr declare much, and asking for quite hefty sum...
http://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.ph...656&DL=1000

thanks in advance ... drivingcar.gifdrivingcar.gif

↡ Advertisement

It's better you visit the megane forum to find out what are the common "ahem" found in the car. Check service history whether the "ahem" had been sorted out.

Anyway new car only around 51k. If me, I rather fork out the money for the warranty.

The common problem with this car is the power windows. Highly unreliable, sometimes can work sometimes cranky.

Also make sure that you have a good aftermarket battery installed. The stock one just don't cut!

Other than that, its a very comfortable & quiet ride even after 3 yrs.

I know it becos I've been driving a 3 yr 8month old megane. FC is about 11-12km/L on stock 16" rims. 60% highway travel pattern.

Edited by Rickster

It's better you visit the megane forum to find out what are the common "ahem" found in the car. Check service history whether the "ahem" had been sorted out.

Anyway new car only around 51k. If me, I rather fork out the money for the warranty.

Contis r generally slightly more prone to minor problems here n there. However, the ride comfort & equipment level it gives is really good.

To buy a new megane now, I would not recommend as the new megane will arrive here soon. Its alrdy on sale in france & europe currently.

Wearnes selling the manual version for 51999, the auto ver is 5k more but comes with extras. All versions come with 6 airbags since its launch, the 2 airbags stated is a typo error. Most 2nd car dealers know nuts abt conti cars and dont even know what they are selling.

The current OMV is 15+K as opposed to 18+k cos of the lower euro and price cutting by Renault cos this model is near the end of its life.

Yeah the power window and the ignition coils are the some problems but all should have been rectified. Known problems can be fixed easily and quickly as the solution is also known. Go to the Renault car club if you have these issues and you can get tons of help.

Its a great car nonetheless, top notch safety, superb ride and handling, quiet, superb high speed ability, spacious, 520litre boot, all other 1.6 cars can only manage between 300-400litre.

Pick-up not great but then all 1.6 weighing 1.2-1.3 ton regardless of brand behave the same.

Neutral Newbie

Guys/Gals,

Thks for the reviews/comments. Keep em coming good & bad. Have been doing my homework too but more in UK/EU sites.

Farnie farnie problems listed includes:

- Electro/Hydro steering;

- Steer pump prone to leaks;

- ECU cause misfire at times;

- Immobilizer false activate => car won't start;

- cardkey fail to work;

- pwr windows (as usual);

- wipers disabled and work off the A/C fan knob, Fan Spd 4 turns wiper on/Fan Spd 3 turns wiper off...

Thk the buying point for this car have to be the 5-Star NCAP, and Avg FC.

All the above problems I do not encounter except the power windows failure & stock battery dying in less than 1 yr.

The buying point is not just the safety or FC.

- Auto wiper & light activation

- One of the most spacious 1.6L cars. I'm 1.74m tall and there r still plenty of legroom at the back

- Built in rear & side sun blind

- Excellent stock 6 speaker sound system (alot better than many 1.6L cars around even till today)

- Headlight elevation adjustment

- Anti-pinch power window (won't chop off ur hand)

- Very good sound insulation

- Excellent handling

- Affordable to maintain & service just like a jap car. (don't go back to AD)

Bad points

- Laggy gearbox (eg, wait 1 second before the reverse gear is actually fully engaged)

- Rubbish pickup

In short, go for a test drive and u'll be able to understand more.

Edited by Rickster

Guys/Gals,

Thks for the reviews/comments. Keep em coming good & bad. Have been doing my homework too but more in UK/EU sites.

Farnie farnie problems listed includes:

- Electro/Hydro steering;

- Steer pump prone to leaks;

- ECU cause misfire at times;

- Immobilizer false activate => car won't start;

- cardkey fail to work;

- pwr windows (as usual);

- wipers disabled and work off the A/C fan knob, Fan Spd 4 turns wiper on/Fan Spd 3 turns wiper off...

Most of the problems listed above except the power windows are less common problems, so far I hardly heard of owners in Sg encountering such problems.

Besides its long,long list of features the main strength of this car is its high speed cruising comfort. It combines a good ride with good stability. Its a quality that is apparent only if you spend time with car and is not immediately apparent during short test drives.

Neutral Newbie

Thks fellas,

Tat's wonderful loads of info there...

Guess my friend will be enthusiastically looking for the Tourer as he's so acustom to the vaersatility and loads of space a Waggy can provide... he prefers the one with the chrome roof rails. Any keen sellers looking at changing cars with their current warranty expiring, with reasonably low kms? Kindly contact/text him @ 97106250, the name's Jeff.

Good Day

Neutral Newbie

Thks fellas,

Tat's wonderful loads of info there...

Guess my friend will be enthusiastically looking for the Tourer as he's so acustom to the vaersatility and loads of space a Waggy can provide... he prefers the one with the chrome roof rails. Any keen sellers looking at changing cars with their current warranty expiring, with reasonably low kms? Kindly contact/text him @ 97106250, the name's Jeff.

Good Day

Looking still....

My colleague choose & bought Scenic over Citreon C4 last year, 1st day drive out of showroom car breakdown on PIE. Maybe a one-off incident but i personally cannot accept this.

Neutral Newbie

My colleague choose & bought Scenic over Citreon C4 last year, 1st day drive out of showroom car breakdown on PIE. Maybe a one-off incident but i personally cannot accept this.

damn sway loh....

[sweatdrop][sweatdrop]

I understand that the Megane was manufactured in Turkey.

the hatch ver all in france, sedan in turkey

sedan always the one giving problems, buy hatch

↡ Advertisement