Ex-Smokers: Pls advise

Karpi

Neutral Newbie

I have just started go cold turkey for almost a week. I read few articles

that headaches, running nose and tingling hands/feets may occurred.

So far, out of the above expected symptoms, headaches has start take place

just only and the other that is not mentioned is, I can't have a proper sleep.

As in, I kept wake up in the middle of the night. I did take more coffee lately,

but usually i do not "react" to coffee after-affect as in affecting my sleep in the past.

do u guys wake up very often in the middle of your sleep? mine at least 6-7 times.

What other advises helps? Pls kindly advise.

I just want to hear from true life account experiences.

Thank you so much.

↡ Advertisement

How many packs were you doing per day? There are reports of heavy smokers dropping dead after stopping. You can try nicotine patch.

(not a smoker)

Edited by Kusje

well done bro!! when i stopped smoking 8years ago. I think i go into cold turkey also, but i think i smoke a stick after a week. then my cannot remember smoking anymore. the motiviation to stop smoking is price of cigarette. dont give up, u can do it!

How many packs were you doing per day? There are reports of heavy smokers dropping dead after stopping. You can try nicotine patch.

(not a smoker)

wah lao eh... got such reports meh? u anyhow bom such "reports" will only discourage smokers from quitting leh

The headaches are expected, the sleeplessness will be due to your excessive caffeine-intake, try to cut down on that. As your body is deprived of nicotine, it will cling on to other artificial stimulants you are introducing to it, so the effect of caffeine will be more pronounced.

Also, if it has not already occurred, you will experience a lot of phlegm and coughing due to the phlegm, do not mistake this with a cold or flu, it is simply your lungs cleansing itself of the excessive tar buildup you have been clogging it with.

Remember to drink lots of fluid, this also helps with the bodily-cleansing process.

Neutral Newbie

(not a smoker)

Lately 8-10 sticks per day. usually in the past, also less than /= 1 soft pack.

U serious? i only heard about 1 old 60+ yr old aged man go cold turkey, and due to

old aged cannot take the after-affect then passed away.

But seriously i would like to totally stop. but about the sleepness nights, is it related?

Neutral Newbie

well done bro!! when i stopped smoking 8years ago. I think i go into cold turkey also, but i think i smoke a stick after a week. then my cannot remember smoking anymore. the motiviation to stop smoking is price of cigarette. dont give up, u can do it!

i just took 2 puffs this morning due to tiredness(lack of sleep last night)....and immediately stubbed it out..

(felt guilty of it i suppose, as my wife was fill of hopes i could stop)

thanks for the encouragement, pal.

Neutral Newbie

The headaches are expected, the sleeplessness will be due to your excessive caffeine-intake, try to cut down on that. As your body is deprived of nicotine, it will cling on to other artificial stimulants you are introducing to it, so the effect of caffeine will be more pronounced.

Also, if it has not already occurred, you will experience a lot of phlegm and coughing due to the phlegm, do not mistake this with a cold or flu, it is simply your lungs cleansing itself of the excessive tar buildup you have been clogging it with.

Remember to drink lots of fluid, this also helps with the bodily-cleansing process.

does make sense here.....let me try not taking coffee from now.

cough alittle, but no phlegm, as its very dry at the throat area.

Neutral Newbie

i just took 2 puffs this morning due to tiredness(lack of sleep last night)....and immediately stubbed it out..

(felt guilty of it i suppose, as my wife was fill of hopes i could stop)

thanks for the encouragement, pal.

Haiz.. me quit for 6 years already... now juz pick up again.. Felt damn lousy man.. [smallcry]

keep it up...

i've always admired ppl who are able to give up smoking completely.

i've slowed down my smoking quite a bit now...since SuperBoy came into our lives 3 years ago.

i dun smoke whenever i'm back in Singapore (i work in KL)...that's like abut 3 days a week.

my motivation is...not to show my SuperBoy my El Smoko side...hehehehe....

its down to less than 10 sticks a week for me now...have been able to keep this constant for over a year now.

Since smokes are cheaper in KL here...temptation is stronger in tat sense!

hehehe...

does make sense here.....let me try not taking coffee from now.

cough alittle, but no phlegm, as its very dry at the throat area.

was an ex smoker for 7 years. also due to family reasons i stopped smoking. am smoke free for 6 years now.

things that helped

1) Family support

2) Conducsive enviroment and friends

3) Nicotine patches

4)Strong self will to quit.

in my opnion, it is the mental deprevation that will make you go back to a fag... not physical symptoms... the headaches, running nose and sore throayt will pass in a week or so .... it is the will that keeps you going ...

good luck !!!

Hi Karpi,

. During the period of cold turkey, drink milk and lots of water. Too much Coffee is bad for you. Most of the time, smokers can't over come the mental block of kicking the habit. When you crave for a puff, think of something which you hate to swallow. I knew an ex smoker who think of himself swallowing someone's sperm when he craves for a puff..not a joke, but its true. Lastly excerise more. Cheers.

regards

Neutral Newbie

ya alor, definitely must gotta do with mental and "heartless".

This hoon ki bro being with me through thick and thin times.....

now i have to forsake him...really like asking a breakup with my considerate

and thoughtful buddies or gf of mine.

but so far, i will continue to keep up...for 1st timer trying to kick.

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

It's all in the mind.

Tried to quit many times.... always give up quitting.

Many excuses...

After I read the book "Easy way to quit smoking"

I quit for 1.5 years now, cold turkey after 27 years smoking 1 pack per day.

Did not feel any abnormal thing.

No special method, just every time someone pass me a cigarette, I would ask myself "Why should I smoke?"

Really, hope you can quit for good too.

As in, I kept wake up in the middle of the night. I did take more coffee lately,

but usually i do not "react" to coffee after-affect as in affecting my sleep in the past.

do u guys wake up very often in the middle of your sleep? mine at least 6-7 times.

Thank you so much.

Haiz...i just failed quit smoking after stopping for a week plus.

Yes, i also can't sleep properly, waking up middle of the night or sleep very short hours and my whole mouth start to overran with ulcers and having terrible sore throat..

This is my eight time quitting, longest being 1 month plus.

I quit only bcos of the high price of ciggie, not really out of health reason.

Good luck pal...

Speaking as a smoker who has quit after 20 years of smoking cigarettes, I encourage you to keep at it. Be determined and you will succeed.

Don't hang around smokers as they are the number one temptation. Once you get past the initial withdrawal symptoms, you will slowly find yourself looking at cigarettes like non-smokers, ie, smelly and disgusting.

I remember once after a long time that I haven't smoked, a friend kinda "forced" me to smoke and I relented cos I remember how shiok it was. I took one puff and almost vomited. Snubbed it out immediately. The taste and smell lingered in my mouth for a long time and I wondered how I smoked more than one soft pack a day before. I never touch another cigarette since.

You body will get used to being clean. The key is to have enough determination to get there.

Thank you so much.

Here's an advice from a non-smoker.

Do some 'pumping' before you sleep, sure knockout until morning one. [sleeping]

↡ Advertisement