Telco service found stolen car ?

Highwaycode

Any such service in S'pore?

Teleco service helps man find stolen car

Fri, Mar 06, 2009

The Star/Asia News Network

Malaysia: FRIEND Finder, a service provided by telecommunications companies to locate their users' friends, helped a man find his stolen car in Johor Baru.

Sin Chew Daily reported that the man, identified only as Mr Ye, had used the service as an anti-theft device for over a year.

He kept a phone activated with the service in his Toyota Camry car.

On Sunday, Ye found that his car parked in Permas Jaya was missing at about 9.30pm.

He traced his 'friend' in the car and the response showed that the vehicle was in Taman Nusa Bistari 2. 'After a three and a half hour search in the housing estate, I recovered my car by the roadside,' he said.

Ye encouraged the public to use this cheap and useful service, saying that his anti-car theft device was only a cellphone that cost less than RM100 (S$41) and a pre-paid service card.

↡ Advertisement

Wah, they even steal a local 1+ year old camry. Bad news for me becos previous I tot they only interested in new car.

Even the telco has identified the location, he still need 3+ hours to locate the car, damn siong ! But luckly he got his car back [:)] .

Wah, they even steal a local 1+ year old camry. Bad news for me becos previous I tot they only interested in new car.

For parts [knife]

Now he announce liaoz. Car thieves will surely strip search car in future right?

Than again I assumed most cars stolen would be stripped quickly rather than left around for 3 hours?

Even the telco has identified the location, he still need 3+ hours to locate the car, damn siong ! But luckly he got his car back [:)] .

The accuracy of triangulation of the location of the phone dependant on the number of transmission tower surrounding the phone. If there are more tower, the location will be narrowed down further.

In this case, i would think there might b only a few tranmission tower surrounding the phone. So, he got a wider area to find.

Based on what i know, Camry from 0 - 5 yrs old are of interest to thieves.

1+ year is not exactly old wad.......

Turbocharged

Will our local telco service so helpful?

Once lost, within 30 to 60mins, this car may already in Boleh land.

If that happens, which telco company should we call if phone under autoroam?

Will our local telco service so helpful?

Once lost, within 30 to 60mins, this car may already in Boleh land.

If that happens, which telco company should we call if phone under autoroam?

Singtel has this locator service that track another Singtel phone.