Quantum

Are you AAS member?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Are you AAS member?

• Yes
    • No

http://www.aas.com.sg/

wonder what benefit of an AAS member, and is it worldwide valid? [:)]

as the biggest motoring organisation, they should help motorists fight for better insurance premiums. afterall, members pay them $$ to join.

what have they done recently? they dun even dare to make noise.

Looks like AA is only worthwhile if one drives to Malaysia often.

Trying to look for some contacts to keep in case car breaks down on the road.

Do you have any 24/7 contacts which could cover the followings:

1.  Replacing punctured tyres by the roadside.   Do they also have a compressor to inflat  the spare tyre, just in case.

2. Replacing faulty spark plugs.

3. Dead battery.

4. What other support could they provide?

I heard can join AAS on the spot (maybe with some additional top-up fees), true?

• Praise 1

I voted yes, I'm a member (currently) but to answer the question in the title, no, I don't think it's worth it. 

I probably won't renew. Life membership ain't worth it.

• Praise 1

On 3/21/2009 at 12:26 AM, Silver_blade said:

In the UK, better to join RAC. Better coverage and support.

In Tassie is better to join RACT.  🤗

• Praise 1

37 minutes ago, Albeniz said:

Looks like AA is only worthwhile if one drives to Malaysia often.

Trying to look for some contacts to keep in case car breaks down on the road.

Do you have any 24/7 contacts which could cover the followings:

1.  Replacing punctured tyres by the roadside.   Do they also have a compressor to inflat  the spare tyre, just in case.

2. Replacing faulty spark plugs.

3. Dead battery.

4. What other support could they provide?

I heard can join AAS on the spot (maybe with some additional top-up fees), true?

My car don't come with spare tyre anymore. Only pressure pump.

As for battery? 

Surf mcf get help here. 🤗

• Praise 1

15 minutes ago, Albeniz said:

Just wondering.  What are the typical charges for roadside assistance? Anyone with experience could comment?

$50-$100 for a tow truck. I rather just tow to a workshop if it isn’t battery or a puncture. 
from what I observed for a battery recovery van to come. It’s approx $40-$60 above the normal battery prices that you pay at the shop. 

AAS is quite useless these days. A dwindling membership base also means less crews on the road. It can take an hour or more for them to appear. I rather just call a tow truck or a battery recovery team. They can be there much faster. 

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 4

12 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

$50-$100 for a tow truck. I rather just tow to a workshop if it isn’t battery or a puncture. 
from what I observed for a battery recovery van to come. It’s approx $40-$60 above the normal battery prices that you pay at the shop. 

AAS is quite useless these days. A dwindling membership base also means less crews on the road. It can take an hour or more for them to appear. I rather just call a tow truck or a battery recovery team. They can be there much faster. 

On highway there is always emas foc tow to the nearest carpark. No worry.

On 3/19/2009 at 2:19 PM, Quantum said:

http://www.aas.com.sg/

wonder what benefit of an AAS member, and is it worldwide valid? [:)]

Wah ...... 270 can buy a lot of Roast Duck lor.  After I changed from Conti Car to Japanese and Korean Car, my car NEVER need to be tow lor.  Even chain collision, radiator pour out green blood, I managed to drive my broken Kia Carens, 2km to a safe park space lor.  Of course, there is also greenish vapour fuming  as I drive.

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Kopites said:

My car don't come with spare tyre anymore. Only pressure pump.

As for battery? 

Surf mcf get help here. 🤗

Is it just post and call for SOS for some1 to come help u jumpstart ah! =D

• Praise 1

39 minutes ago, Kopites said:

On highway there is always emas foc tow to the nearest carpark. No worry.

On Expressway, only EMAS can tow unless drive expensive car

1 hour ago, yellowshaun said:

Is it just post and call for SOS for some1 to come help u jumpstart ah! =D

There is a sponsor thread somewhere here.

Or you can shout "help" bb come and rescue you.

1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

On Expressway, only EMAS can tow unless drive expensive car

Yes... Tyre puncture or vehicle breakdown on highway can always depend on emas.

On battery, I sell/install batteries so I carry a few around. But you can always have your battery checked at certain interval, 1 yr, 1.5 yr, 2 yr. By then, bcuz of our hot and humid climate and the battery stays in the hot engine compartment, it doesn't last very long. 2 yrs thereabout you should consider replacing before you're caught out. Around 2 yrs you may think your battery is still working, but it's probably on the last leg of its life.

For tyres, most of us will get caught with a flat and it's usually a screw or a nail. (Not talking about you offending someone and he slashed your tyre). The new method is carrying a bottle of pre-charge air that can inflate and seal the hole. The old method is you taking out your spare tyre and trying to jack up the car, loosen the wheel nuts and then swapped the tyre. Guess what ? You may not be able to find all the tools when you need them. Are you sure you still have the jack you were carrying around ? Are the tools still working ? And then you try to loosen the nut, and find you are not able to do it, bcuz your regular tyre shops hire gorillas that over-tightened the wheel nuts.

So the best bet for me is to have a jack, an air pump, a wheel chock, and a repair kit. Should I find my next flat tyre, I'll pump it up, drive to safe place like a car park, jack up the car and patched the tyre myself. The repair is not very difficult. If you can find the offending screw/nail, just use a plier/cutter to yank it out. Then use the repair kit rasp, to clean the hole, push the "worm" inside the tyre, twist and pull the tool out. Look for some youtube video to learn if you're not familiar.

One other possible failure is the ignition coil. It will make your car, vibrate, jerk, but may still be possible to drive to your workshop.

If you can't do these then, it's the tow truck or AA.

• Praise 6

6 hours ago, Kb27 said:

On battery, I sell/install batteries so I carry a few around. But you can always have your battery checked at certain interval, 1 yr, 1.5 yr, 2 yr. By then, bcuz of our hot and humid climate and the battery stays in the hot engine compartment, it doesn't last very long. 2 yrs thereabout you should consider replacing before you're caught out. Around 2 yrs you may think your battery is still working, but it's probably on the last leg of its life.

For tyres, most of us will get caught with a flat and it's usually a screw or a nail. (Not talking about you offending someone and he slashed your tyre). The new method is carrying a bottle of pre-charge air that can inflate and seal the hole. The old method is you taking out your spare tyre and trying to jack up the car, loosen the wheel nuts and then swapped the tyre. Guess what ? You may not be able to find all the tools when you need them. Are you sure you still have the jack you were carrying around ? Are the tools still working ? And then you try to loosen the nut, and find you are not able to do it, bcuz your regular tyre shops hire gorillas that over-tightened the wheel nuts.

So the best bet for me is to have a jack, an air pump, a wheel chock, and a repair kit. Should I find my next flat tyre, I'll pump it up, drive to safe place like a car park, jack up the car and patched the tyre myself. The repair is not very difficult. If you can find the offending screw/nail, just use a plier/cutter to yank it out. Then use the repair kit rasp, to clean the hole, push the "worm" inside the tyre, twist and pull the tool out. Look for some youtube video to learn if you're not familiar.

One other possible failure is the ignition coil. It will make your car, vibrate, jerk, but may still be possible to drive to your workshop.

If you can't do these then, it's the tow truck or AA.

Agreed. Just a few more points to clarify things for the rest.

With a screw or Nail puncture, the air escapes very slowly. So all you need is to inflate the tire and hobble to a repair shop if you don’t want to repair it yourself. Driving on with a low pressure Tire  will cause the side wall to be damaged and you will find tire bits inside the tire when you open the tire up. 

the worm patch is actually meant as a temporary patch. A more permanent solution is either a new tire if the sidewalk is compromised or an internal patch. Although I have on many occasions driven on for a long time with just a worn patch. Doing an internal patch also allows you to assess if the sidewall has been damaged when you open up the tire. 

IMHO the best solution would be to install a tire pressure monitoring system. This way, you will know immediate once you have a puncture or low pressure situation. If you attend to the alarm immediately chances are, there will not be any sidewall damage as the threshold is set quite high and will be safe for the tire. 
Thus in most situations in Singapore. With a TPMS and a inflator pump, you don’t really need a spare Tire anymore. A different story if you travel up north frequently. 

• Praise 2

11 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

Must have the contact for the battery recovery team and tow truck, if not really happened then dont know what to do liao. Battery flat and tyre flat are the most common thing to happen la.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2