Is it worth to be an AAS member?

Quantum

Are you AAS member?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Are you AAS member?

• Yes
    • No

9 hours ago, Kb27 said:

.... bcuz of our hot and humid climate and the battery stays in the hot engine compartment, it doesn't last very long. 2 yrs thereabout you should consider replacing before you're caught out. Around 2 yrs you may think your battery is still working, but it's probably on the last leg of its life.

I have always been using Amaron Hi-Life and they are still at the optimum 13.8V even during the 36th mth, but I replace them for peace of mine.

↡ Advertisement

1 hour ago, Vinceng said:

I have always been using Amaron Hi-Life and they are still at the optimum 13.8V even during the 36th mth, but I replace them for peace of mine.

you can always get a battery tester and test it out yourself and friends cars. I use an ANCEL BA101. so far so good. in fact i just change the battery as it showed a lowered State of Health and the internal resistance is going up. bought a made in slovenia battery on carousel for cheap. only $56... lets see how.

2 hours ago, Vinceng said:

Sorry, you're reading it wrong. 13.8V is your alternator charging voltage, not the battery voltage.

To measure the battery voltage, you need to shut down the engine and wait for about 20 min to let the surface charge dissipate. Then you get more or less the battery voltage. In the car,  you can measure about 12.3, 12.4V. If you open circuit the battery, like remove the ground from the negative terminal, it may read slightly higher. The alternator cannot fully charged the battery, it's a maintenance charge. If you do a full charge outside using a charger, you may get up to 12.7, 12.8V.

But again, voltage only tells half the story. It's a SoC, (state of charge) of the battery, like you can give it number from 0% to 100% charge.

The other half is the current, or the power of the battery. I'd use a digital battery tester that checks CCA. If your battery spec is say 500 CCA (printed on the label, this is for new battery) and you measure 50% and below ( < 250), your battery is no good already. Change out asap.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3