Is booking of car park lots outside private houses legal?

Urns

Neutral Newbie

Dear all, I'm staying in a semi-d with a 2-way lane in front of my house. The single lane on the opposite side facing my house has double yellow lines whereas the single lane on my side has no lines, hence we residents are allowed to park on my side of the lane. Recently however I noticed my new neighbour who is staying on the opposite side who actually used his "888" brand dustbins to reserve the lot and many have since followed. Is this legal? I have taken pictures of these dustbins sitting prominently on the roads and who shall I make a formal complain to if it is not? Has anyone in this forum who have a similar experience before who can advise? Thanks in advance! [thumbsup]

Edited by Urns
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie

Please allow me to add that yes my house has a garage but it is big enough only for 2 vehicles. My house has got 4 cars hence just because my neighbours are doing things like these, more often than not, either my dad/mum/bro has got to park quite a distance away or along another lane. I wish to seek advice on how to educate these ppl without making a formal complain with any authorities first. Anyone has any suggestions? Or straightaway complain? And to which authority? SPF? NEA? LTA? Please enlighten and cheers!

remove those bins.. park your car.. after a few times.. they should get the point.. maybe complain to remove double yellow lines on the opposite side.. get all the residents to sign a petition

Please allow me to add that yes my house has a garage but it is big enough only for 2 vehicles. My house has got 4 cars hence just because my neighbours are doing things like these, more often than not, either my dad/mum/bro has got to park quite a distance away or along another lane. I wish to seek advice on how to educate these ppl without making a formal complain with any authorities first. Anyone has any suggestions? Or straightaway complain? And to which authority? SPF? NEA? LTA? Please enlighten and cheers!

tell them first come first served... need more lots either come earlier or buy bigger house

Try any of the above agencies and see which other department they will push you to? haha

Better to talk to the neighbours to have a 1st come, 1st serve understanding. The space is free and no one own any of it...especially not the ones that is just outside your house.

Complaint to LTA also no use...what can they do? Worse would be for them to paint it double-yellow line.

Edited by Silver_blade

Neutral Newbie

Better to talk to the neighbours to have a 1st come, 1st serve understanding. The space is free and non one own any of it...especially no one that is just outside your house.

Complaint to LTA also no use...what can they do? Worse would be for them to paint it double-yellow line.

That is what I am afraid of, because the lane is too narrow to have both the double-yellow lines removed..

hi threadstarter, i live in similar housing like you and yes, it is illegal to place dustbins to 'reserve' the slot.

I never done that before but my neighbours do. I find it extremely frustrating when outsiders come and park along our houses because it's free and there's a bus stop nearby. I seen people parking their car in the morning and switch to public transport.

To get back at them, I would use more space when i park as such space which is available for 2 cars is only left with enough allowance for one.

Edited by Splinter

That happened to my in-law's estate. It used to be free for all on either side of the road....but outsiders began to park there, residents complaint...LTA painted 1 side with double yellow lines.

Then residents started to 'book' the space.....those who didn't book or don't agree with such practice complaint. LTA painted double yellow lines on the other side. Now no one can park outside their house legally.

If only people were willing to bring the matter up and solve it among themselves.

Neutral Newbie

That happened to my in-law's estate. It used to be free for all on either side of the road....but outsiders began to park there, residents complaint...LTA painted 1 side with double yellow lines.

Then residents started to 'book' the space.....those who didn't book or don't agree with such practice complaint. LTA painted double yellow lines on the other side. Now no one can park outside their house legally.

If only people were willing to bring the matter up and solve it among themselves.

It's a lose-lose situation for all, isn't it? How to talk to them amicably? Sigh..

Neutral Newbie

It's a lose-lose situation for all, isn't it? How to talk to them amicably? Sigh..

To tell you frankly, I don't say more than just a "good morning" or "good evening" to them, which I believe is very typical of Singaporeans living in landed property.

Neutral Newbie

Better to talk to the neighbours to have a 1st come, 1st serve understanding. The space is free and non one own any of it...especially no one that is just outside your house.

Yes, agree. Just like for HDB corridors, if neighbours put their flower pot outside your house, u go talk to them nicely first to see if can resolve or not. U certainly can't say that u own this stretch of the corridor so they cannot use. [nod]

Dear all, I'm staying in a semi-d with a 2-way lane in front of my house. The single lane on the opposite side facing my house has double yellow lines whereas the single lane on my side has no lines, hence we residents are allowed to park on my side of the lane. Recently however I noticed my new neighbour who is staying on the opposite side who actually used his "888" brand dustbins to reserve the lot and many have since followed. Is this legal? I have taken pictures of these dustbins sitting prominently on the roads and who shall I make a formal complain to if it is not? Has anyone in this forum who have a similar experience before who can advise? Thanks in advance! [thumbsup]

In S'pore .... nobody complain .... nobody will summon.

If got people complain, then siao liao.

Neutral Newbie

I am very tempted to send the pictures to STOMP but think it will be rather embarrassing for all parties involved. Hmmm in that case I just have to speak nicely to my neighbours tonight. I will update you guys on the outcome. Cheers!

maybe you can talk to your MP or some community member for your estate or something. maybe ask them to "officially" prohibit such practice in the estate and inform all the residents by putting the notice in the letter boxes. This way maybe when you approach your neighbour in future regarding this matter, at least you have something "official "to back you up, otherwise, it could lead to bad blood etc.

ai ya ....this is an estate thingy, i guess other houses down the road will also face the same problem, better solve it as a whole rather than as an individual unit....some people really one kind one...cannot win them all.

good luck [thumbsup]

I am very tempted to send the pictures to STOMP but think it will be rather embarrassing for all parties involved. Hmmm in that case I just have to speak nicely to my neighbours tonight. I will update you guys on the outcome. Cheers!

Neutral Newbie

maybe you can talk to your MP or some community member for your estate or something. maybe ask them to "officially" prohibit such practice in the estate and inform all the residents by putting the notice in the letter boxes. This way maybe when you approach your neighbour in future regarding this matter, at least you have something "official "to back you up, otherwise, it could lead to bad blood etc.

ai ya ....this is an estate thingy, i guess other houses down the road will also face the same problem, better solve it as a whole rather than as an individual unit....some people really one kind one...cannot win them all.

good luck [thumbsup]

On second thoughts, I think go to MP better. Thanks!

Seek Ahgongwolve for advice.

hi threadstarter, i live in similar housing like you and yes, it is illegal to place dustbins to 'reserve' the slot.

I never done that before but my neighbours do. I find it extremely frustrating when outsiders come and park along our houses because it's free and there's a bus stop nearby. I seen people parking their car in the morning and switch to public transport.

To get back at them, I would use more space when i park as such space which is available for 2 cars is only left with enough allowance for one.

1) you have no right to stop them from parking along your house, no one owns that piece of land besides the govt.

2) you are bloody inconsiderate, because you take 2 spaces just to get back at them, you are depriving others of a space, including your neighbours and their frens

FYI, i am in a similar situation. I live arnd siglap. I hope you are not. I hate to have a neighbour like you.

Oh and there was a time or 2 when my uncle went overseas and gave us the use of his car, we park it outside, got some stupid idiot leave a note ask the driver of the car (which is us) not to park there and abuse the free parking thinking we are one of those that park but live in HDB opposite.

Stupid cowards, do not dare leave their no. And we wrote a note saying it belong to us a owner along that street and then there is no more notes. I guess next time 1 or any of my relatives change car, i must inform people like you who thinks the own the whole blardy road.

For goodness sake, you own the land that you bought not what is outside of it. Stupid inconsiderate and jealous fella.