New Ford Fiesta is here

Spanly

Will be officially launching this weekend!

To avoid the potential crowd, I went down to RM today to look at the real thing.

2 models available; 1.4A 5-dr & 1.4A 3-dr

The design is indeed sleek thumbsup.gif, both interior & exterior. Leather. 15" alloy, Durashift 4 speed w manual override. Surprise that it is made in Germany!

Slightly disappointed that the specs brought in is on the more scale down side compare to those in Europe.
- 2 airbags only
- No fog light; not even as optional
- No push start button
- Fewer colors options that those available in the UK site
Reason given was to keep price competitive.

Drive & handling is comparable to the Focus, steering obviously much lighter since is electric power assist. Well, since i'm no car critic, let's wait for those expert to provide their comments which should be out pretty soon.

Is definetly one that i'm seriously considering.

↡ Advertisement

Will be officially launching this weekend!

To avoid the potential crowd, I went down to RM today to look at the real thing.

2 models available; 1.4A 5-dr & 1.4A 3-dr

The design is indeed sleek [thumbsup], both interior & exterior. Leather. 15" alloy, Durashift 4 speed w manual override. Surprise that it is made in Germany!

Slightly disappointed that the specs brought in is on the more scale down side compare to those in Europe.

- 2 airbags only

- No fog light; not even as optional

- No push start button

- Fewer colors options that those available in the UK site

Drive & handling is comparable to the Focus, steering obviously much lighter since is electric power assist. Well, since i'm no car critic, let's wait for those expert to provide their comments which should be out pretty soon.

Is definetly one that i'm seriously considering.

Not surprised 2 airbags only.

RM like to cut cost on safety with 2 airbags yet go about boasting 5 star safety when car like focus is less safety equipped as the one if ENCAP test

Edited by Maxxtotal

Thats suxs, we pay higher price for our cars, yet get less. [thumbsdown] . To be fair, I am surprise the car is pretty cheap (by SG standard) for such a highly anticipate newly launch car. ABout 61k (SGCARMART)

I have seen the car when I was in U.K, so I know it looks really good. The handling has been prised to be good for its class & as it wins many rave reviews.

Its one of the car on my radar.

Then they should bring in the manual tranny - better power-to-weight and more rewarding drive (IMHO) than the 4-speed slush box.

What disappoints me though is that Ford went on a cost-cutting measure, replacing the good hydraulic power steering in the previous Fiesta, to a numb and super-light electric power steering. To me, this minus far outweighs the 'Made in Germany' tag.

Edited by W210k

I think replacing the steering from hydraulic to electric assisted is one means of improving the fuel efficiency... probably also to attract more female drivers since most of them would deem the hydraulic one too heavy to handle?

Anyway, the launch price is under $58k... lower that what's mentioned in the papers & sgcarmart... that's place it in contension with Jazz(1.3A), 207(1.4).

I think replacing the steering from hydraulic to electric assisted is one means of improving the fuel efficiency... probably also to attract more female drivers since most of them would deem the hydraulic one too heavy to handle?

Anyway, the launch price is under $58k... lower that what's mentioned in the papers & sgcarmart... that's place it in contension with Jazz(1.3A), 207(1.4).

At launch price if its $58, that means the price would easily be in the low 50K region within the next 6 months (assuming COE remains @ current level)

I wonder how much different it would be from the Mazda-2's handling, since both of them share the same Ford-Mazda platform.

Mazda offers a manual tranny option, with their 1.5L engine.

Overall, I think Mazda's interpretation of the same-platform car has much more oomph and go.

Have tested the Mazda-2 and will compare that against the Fiesta (which I think is slightly heavier also).

The Mazda-2 also has got 5-star NCAP crash safety rating and won the 2008 World Car Of The Year (WCOTY) award. And I think is now listed at <$55K.

Edited by W210k

Neutral Newbie

Give us your feedback after you've test driven Fiesta. I'm not in a hurry to get a car since my work doesn't need me to drive around anymore.

Did not test driven the Mazda 2 but handling of the new Fiesta(from my test drive on Fri), it should be on par with my current Focus(2004 ver).

Yes, Mazda 2 is slightly lighter than Fiesta. I would think it's pick up should be better since Ford's cars tend to be weaker in this aspect. However, once reach cruising level, it would not be any slouch...

Fiesta being a much newer model, if the price difference with Mazda 2 is just a couple of thousands; I think it'll be a worthwhile consideration. The Fiesta should be more fun since it has manual override whereas Mazda 2 is just a 4 speed auto. Of course, if it has 5 speed w paddle shift(like the Jazz) would be even better.

The SE called me to update that the following options will be given if can booked this weekend itself.

Option 1 - Free upgrade from 15" to 16" alloy

Option 2 - Free window film + Bluetooth

Option 3 - Free GPS + I-pod connectivity

They're trying real hard to tempt me signing on the dotted line...

I wonder how much different it would be from the Mazda-2's handling, since both of them share the same Ford-Mazda platform.

Mazda offers a manual tranny option, with their 1.5L engine.

Overall, I think Mazda's interpretation of the same-platform car has much more oomph and go.

Have tested the Mazda-2 and will compare that against the Fiesta (which I think is slightly heavier also).

The Mazda-2 also has got 5-star NCAP crash safety rating and won the 2008 World Car Of The Year (WCOTY) award. And I think is now listed at <$55K.

Fiesta have better handling, its been tested by many magazines in U.K in comparison test, & the feedback in handling is anonymous. In any case, you should go for a test drive.

Neutral Newbie

My hope for Regent Motors is to bring in the Kuga to complete the entire Ford (Europe) range (minus the Ka that it).

Ford-Kuga-Wallpaper.jpg

Seen the Kuga in person (not in SG). Looks really nice. The new KA is very nice too. Super the cute. It will sell well in Sunny Singapore if price right IMO.

Fiesta have better handling, its been tested by many magazines in U.K in comparison test, & the feedback in handling is anonymous. In any case, you should go for a test drive.

My bet on handling will be between the Opel Corsa and Ford Fiesta rather than the Mazda 2. Both have weighted electric assisted power steering.. It's not that bad actually as the weightage will vary according to the car's speed.

Driven Corsa on many occasions and have to say, it handles very very well...proven on the Cameron Highland track.. doubt the Maz 2 comes any closer... what more Jazz/Fit .. which is meant for small pt.a pt.b daily cars...

↡ Advertisement