It's Earth Hour folks

Blueegg

Hahaha. my lights are running on full blast, aircon on 22 deg and fan on step 2. With radio blasting 98.7. Is this earth hour? LOL!

Seriously lah, 1 hour only. How much diff can we make? Furthermore, energy is there, to be used right? i dunno. thats my thoughts.

Turbocharged

Though not much diff is made, by switching your lights off for this hour is a like making a statement that you're against global warming..

and if a majority out there did it..then the effect will be significant..

Turbocharged

anyway, some pics from my place..

PS: I am not in Singapore, but in a kampung in Malaysia. The sky is full of stars..But unfortunately, I didn't have my DSLR with me..so this is the best i can do..

post-15577-1238246505_thumb.jpg

post-15577-1238246512_thumb.jpg

post-15577-1238246519_thumb.jpg

Neutral Newbie

Hahaha. my lights are running on full blast, aircon on 22 deg and fan on step 2. With radio blasting 98.7. Is this earth hour? LOL!

Seriously lah, 1 hour only. How much diff can we make? Furthermore, energy is there, to be used right? i dunno. thats my thoughts.

this post screams "ELITIST" all over it

[rolleyes]

Turbocharged

This picture made me lOL...

lol...sillypore garment not cooperative enough..

suggest next yr earth hour to turn off alternate street lights and HDB corridor lights..

The 'point' is that you recognise that there is an effort on a global scale to reduce our energy consumption. No one said it was an all out effort to bring energy usage to the lowest point in that one hour. It is a concerted push by every single person to first acknowledge that there is a thing called global warming, then proclaim in one voice that we pledge to do something about it (hence switching off our lights), and then making changes to our daily lives to work towards that goal (of reversing global climate change).

It's like how people do candlelight vigils, or turn up at public events to show solidarity for a cause or in reaction to a natural disaster.

If we feel enough about the making a difference not only for our own sakes, but for the sake of our children and our children's children, then we won't think "what's the point?". We make it a point.

indeed as some people have put it, cynicism and scepticism arise when such green initiatives are mentioned. This is inevitable, no doubt about it. On one hand, we have folks who are more concerned with the practicality of such initiatives. On the other, we have green folks who apparently (to me) have made the symbolism associated with the act (the switching off the lights) loom larger than the actual purpose.

In a nutshell, it is actuality versus symbolism.

Now lets cast aside our scepticism and cynicism and try to understand the constraints that the greenfolks are facing. Even though i am not very happy that symbolism has triumphed over actuality in this case (look at the big hooha it has created in the media), i feel that creating a greater sense of awareness amongst the masses (which i think that they try to do) is laudable. It is a step in the right direction.

Turbocharged

It is indeed a step in the right direction..

now if only more people in this world will cast aside their selfishness or personal gain, all for the collective good of this planet we survive on..

The 'point' is that you recognise that there is an effort on a global scale to reduce our energy consumption. No one said it was an all out effort to bring energy usage to the lowest point in that one hour. It is a concerted push by every single person to first acknowledge that there is a thing called global warming, then proclaim in one voice that we pledge to do something about it (hence switching off our lights), and then making changes to our daily lives to work towards that goal (of reversing global climate change).

It's like how people do candlelight vigils, or turn up at public events to show solidarity for a cause or in reaction to a natural disaster.

If we feel enough about the making a difference not only for our own sakes, but for the sake of our children and our children's children, then we won't think "what's the point?". We make it a point.

yodu can save more energy by not using yr PC ... that's the point ...

yodu can save more energy by not using yr PC ... that's the point ...

not quite there mate. the main thing that should get to all of us is to...lead an sustainable lifestyle that is not too heavy on Mother Earth. Note the word sustainable.

Nobody is going to agree to a return to the lives of cavemen and cavewomen. This is unworkable. What is workable however... is a concerted effort by all of us to try to minimise our carbon footprint (for instance). When it comes to this kind of thing, you got to judge on the tradeoffs and benefits. "whenever possible" is a very subjective term. A reasonable tradeoff is tenable to some but unacceptable to others. At the end of the day, it is up to us to decide how much fair groud we can concede. It is for a good cause anyway!

Perhaps the organisers have missed the point. Abit unfortunate. If only they tried to emphasise more on the point of living more greenly which is still acceptable to us instead of getting us to do some dramatic stunt which is draconian. Yes i do think that getting everyone to switch their lights all at once is a major PR stunt.

Turbocharged

Some of what we can all do:

Turn off all lights when you leave your room(or whatever room for that matter), even for just a few mins.

If you're in a big room with multiple lights, just switch on enough so that whatever you're doing wont be hindered.

Don't leave your electrical appliances in standby mode.

It is indeed a step in the right direction..

now if only more people in this world will cast aside their selfishness or personal gain, all for the collective good of this planet we survive on..

I agree. It is good for awareness. Without such events, we are unlikely to have discussed this topic here. [nod] [nod]

lol...sillypore garment not cooperative enough..

suggest next yr earth hour to turn off alternate street lights and HDB corridor lights..

Good idea. Then we can have some road accidents and people falling down in the corridors.

not quite there mate. the main thing that should get to all of us is to...lead an sustainable lifestyle that is not too heavy on Mother Earth. Note the word sustainable.

Nobody is going to agree to a return to the lives of cavemen and cavewomen. This is unworkable. What is workable however... is a concerted effort by all of us to try to minimise our carbon footprint (for instance). When it comes to this kind of thing, you got to judge on the tradeoffs and benefits. "whenever possible" is a very subjective term. A reasonable tradeoff is tenable to some but unacceptable to others. At the end of the day, it is up to us to decide how much fair groud we can concede. It is for a good cause anyway!

Perhaps the organisers have missed the point. Abit unfortunate. If only they tried to emphasise more on the point of living more greenly which is still acceptable to us instead of getting us to do some dramatic stunt which is draconian. Yes i do think that getting everyone to switch their lights all at once is a major PR stunt.

save energy should be the point ... no need to say too much :)

↡ Advertisement