The all powerful washing soda!

Genie47

OK just some news for you guys and girls out there doing laundry.

I have found that Cold Storage is selling Arm and Hammer brand Washing Soda. It is kind expensive at 5.35/box (1.5kg)

Mustafa is selling this Brit brand called Soda Crystals washing soda. Cheaper at 1.80/kg

What the hell is it?

Washing soda is Sodium Carbonate. It is a cleaning booster. I'll explain.

The most widely available cleaning booster now is sodium bicarbonate. Cold Storage and now even NTUC sells Arm and Hammer sodium bicarbonate (baking soda).

When sodium bicarbonate is dissolved in water, the pH is around 8.

You can use this directly into your washing machine. It can clean out a lot of stuff and even remove detergent buildup. This is layer 1 offensive.

Now if you got some cheap bad perfume that you cannot remove from with your laundry detergent, you use baking soda. Cannot remove but don't want to use bleach? Washing soda.

When washing soda is dissolved into water, it gives pH 11! Powerful stuff. Deoderizes everything. Layer 2. Since it is pH 11, it is caustic so wash your hands thoroughly if you got some on your skin.

Save your money buying those stupid color bleach. Use washing soda.

↡ Advertisement

Its color safe. It is a great descaler too.

Dissolve in water in a kettle. Sit for as long as you want, then pour out. Flush. Add a whole bottle of vinegar plus equivalent bottle of water. Boil. Sit until cool, pour out, flush with water. Clean kettle!

Now I will wait for them to bring in Borax and the circle is complete.

Combine all three with grated laundry soap = most power laundry detergent in the world! Mwahahahahaha. The stains will stand no chance. I am the ruler of the laundry!

Baking soda is sodium bicarbonate.

Washing soda is sodium carbonate.

BIG difference.

Baking soda is weaker. Can still use in laundry but not as powerful as washing soda. pH also different. Baking soda pH is 8. Washing soda pH is a whopping 11 so it is caustic.

OK say full load lah.

Baking powder = 1/2 cup.

Washing soda = 1/4 cup.

The stuff is damn powderful!

BTW, you can use it to vandalize cars.

It is alkaline or rather the word is caustic. It can strip wax from wood floors so it can strip wax from cars. Don't use it on anything you want to shine.

Turbocharged

You can use this directly into your washing machine. It can clean out a lot of stuff and even remove detergent buildup. This is layer 1 offensive.

Are you refering to carbonate or bicarbonate for this?

I want to clean my washing machine where my hands cannot reach, ie, behind the drums. Will this work? And hopefully won't react with the metal drum.

I know Daiso sells something similar but it did not work on my machine.

just to add on... washing soda is cheap and effective. but if u are doing handwashing, no not use them.... Such chemical was widely use before detergen was widely introduced... My old neighbour in my kampong wash clothes for people and to cut down cost, she use washing soda to wash the customer clothes. No ill effect to the clothes even in long term, in fact, the result is great, ur clothes shines like new.... but if you seen her hand, you will never want to touch these chemical.. due to long term, daily contact with the washing soda, her nails were all gone... the skin was all swollen, red and skins peel off easily. Just like those poeple who got some kind of very serious skin dieases...

but if use in small amount in the washing machine, i guess should be alrite... washing soda is also very good for floor washing, it is still widely use by those cleaning contractors in the wet market, when it is use to wash the floor, it removes smells, remove oil, remove stains on the tiles.... nothing can beat washing soda in this area...

Edited by Tigershark1976

been to mustafa a few times, don't think i seen it before. which department is it located?

been looking for a stronger sodium carbonate ..

is it safe to clean thermal flask and drinking bladder ?

Turbocharged

wow... good tip...

u had A for chemistry last time? :D

my chemistry sucks... can't differentiate... :D

↡ Advertisement