Mini Cooper

Kelfinity

Any Mini Cooper/One/S owners here? Care to share about your driving experience?

Please dun direct me to minisg.com. Thanks. [rolleyes]

↡ Advertisement

That was my first car in 2003 when it was launched in Singapore. Damn good drive - like a go-kart. Step hard during corners. But my Mini drank like nobody's business. Quite overpriced in my opinion. If you have that budget, I would suggest a Golf GTi or even the new Golf - should be as fun.

I'm considering getting a mini cabrio for my wife.

Went for a test drive, the 6-spd auto is very well geared and not hesitant, feels very planted to the ground and steering has good feel. S version gives a nicer exhaust note and has more urge (obviously).

I'm very particular about cars with good ext and int looks and the mini wins hands down.

Would be perfect if price could come down a bit more. Profit margin is way sky high. Also considering Audi A3 cabrio from PI.

Went for a test drive, the 6-spd auto is very well geared and not hesitant, feels very planted to the ground and steering has good feel. S version gives a nicer exhaust note and has more urge (obviously).

I'm very particular about cars with good ext and int looks and the mini wins hands down.

Would be perfect if price could come down a bit more. Profit margin is way sky high. Also considering Audi A3 cabrio from PI.

Have you tried the Golf? (ok, interior is lousy)

But gear box is worth some money at least (vs. the Mini's)

Have you tried the Golf? (ok, interior is lousy)

But gear box is worth some money at least (vs. the Mini's)

We have tried it, but the interior and exterior really puts us off...

That was my first car in 2003 when it was launched in Singapore. Damn good drive - like a go-kart. Step hard during corners. But my Mini drank like nobody's business. Quite overpriced in my opinion. If you have that budget, I would suggest a Golf GTi or even the new Golf - should be as fun.

Hmm, I was quoted FC of 11-12km/l leh. Cant be that bad? Dun really like the design of Golf. I was comparing Cooper with Mito but the latter only has manual now.

I was quoted a nice price from a SE. Do let me know if you are getting. We can perhaps have better bargaining power by buying together?

i m a new mini one owner. the car is good to look at but other than that, nothing to justify the high price. the gearbox sucks, always at one gear higher and i would have to use the paddle to maunally drop a gear for uphill and overtaking. not unique now as there are so many around, i seldom drive this car , i rather drive a bigger cc car than this any day

i m a new mini one owner. the car is good to look at but other than that, nothing to justify the high price. the gearbox sucks, always at one gear higher and i would have to use the paddle to maunally drop a gear for uphill and overtaking. not unique now as there are so many around, i seldom drive this car , i rather drive a bigger cc car than this any day

Bigger cc car like Japs e.g. Civic 2l? Wouldn't a Cooper be better since it has more power unlike the One?

I still own a r53 S john cooper work. manual. Slighty modded. Can help on that model but don't ask abt the petrol.

I still own a r53 S john cooper work. manual. Slighty modded. Can help on that model but don't ask abt the petrol.

Meaning older model of Cooper S? How is the handling like? I am trying to put a justification for the Cooper over its high price. I like it but not sure if I should let my heart rules over my head.

Handling is absolutely superb for a car of that price range.. Can keep up with most of the bigger cars on b-road drives.

Personally, i wouldn't buy a cooper. I don't think it's worth the price. I rather get a used S. Many cooper owners feels that way.

Mine is the older generation.

(edited)

My friend got the Cooper (A) for $90K. Would this be a good price since most feel that its not really worth it at $100K?

Edited by Kelfinity

is there no button to prevent intervention? sounds frustrating to me.

It seems like a fair price. It actually what you want. I would go for a relatively new cooper s for that price. I think you can get the r56 varient at that price in the used market.

Neutral Newbie

I drive a CooperS JCW (R53). Some Comments

1) Build Quality -Very Average for such an expensive car - but (imho) the current R56 Mini has a cabin that looks like a child's nursery and looks too "tall".

2) Handling - Very planted and "go-cart" like driving curves or straights. Fun Fun Fun. Just drive any normal car..and jump into a mini..and you can really tell after that. Never get tired of the fun factor.

3) Handling Part 2 - Somehow....my previous car, a (MKII) Ford Focus..feels BETTER & has more Confidence taking corners fast! (compared to the Mini - for real!)

4) Acceleration - The Cooper S is fast. The John Cooper Works goes to a 100 in 6.7 Secs. So its REALLY fast.

5) Acceleration Part 2 - The engine is surprisingly SMOOTH & QUIET for a 1.6 Chrysler Engine when driven at normal pace...and goes INSANE with a SCREAMING WHINE when you blast it through the 5000rpm mark

5) Fuel Economy. Not bad at all. I get about 450Km on 1 tank of gas. (50L/ Manual)

↡ Advertisement