Cooking Classes for Beginers

Spherex

Hi,

Any recommendations of cooking classes for beginers?

Very elementary time for people with totally no background.

Thanks!!

↡ Advertisement

cook book. try simple dishes first.

My OC started out from cook book too and can cook quite well now. No lessons attended. Just cook and cook and cook

I would also like to know if there are such basic cooking classes. Need to have good foundation.

I only know how to cook white rice, sunny side-up egg, instant noodles and various can foods. :D

Neutral Newbie

Learn from CC !!! So many types of food u can learn from there. But choose the right teacher of course.

Learn from CC !!! So many types of food u can learn from there. But choose the right teacher of course.

Went to the CC b4 but the cooking class there are more for those who already know how to cook. No basic cooking lessons.

I need to be introduced to the various spices, veggies, parts of meats, etc........ I only know how a chilli looks like and the rest are stranger to me. [lipsrsealed]

(edited)

learn from ur mother, auntie or grandmother

FREE

don't stereotype leh. in my family, all the males are the better cook. the ladies...can cook day to day but for big occasions, the guys take over. been like this from my grandfather to my dad to now me.

back to the topic. best is to help out in the kitchen, learn how to cut meat, veg. then learn how to prepare sauces, how to marinate and seasoning. then learn how to cook. watch the seniors how they do it and let them guide you. just like anything, you need practice. also be creative.

Edited by Scenic98

Went to the CC b4 but the cooking class there are more for those who already know how to cook. No basic cooking lessons.

I need to be introduced to the various spices, veggies, parts of meats, etc........ I only know how a chilli looks like and the rest are stranger to me. [lipsrsealed]

I believe a trip to tekka market will solve your problem.... seriously

Yes i am looking for very basic cooking lessons too. Anyone has any recommendations? Thanks!!

Twincharged

it takes a bit of initiaive and common sense too.

I recently signed up for some cooking classes organised by the CCs and one thing i learnt from a teacher (not my class, but class next door) is to look and see and learn.

he said that he had many students who were top form "copy-writers" who just scribbled away as he verbally instructs, but never look at him do the cooking so in the end, the students end up asking him again and again how to do this and that.

My roasting class at Jln Besar CC also just ended, and my god !! - those aunties really terrible !! the teacher already hand out PRINTED recipes and instructions and these aunties just kept writing and asking the teacher to repeat and repeat and repeat his instructions ! Got one auntie did not even know where to buy Sunquick Orange concentrate !!

btw, this is for guys only - there is this cooking class at Geylang Serai CC every 2nd Wed of the month and its only $10. Sampling of the cooked food after the class, no packing away and no ingredients fee. This is to encourage more males to learn to cook. But i missed the class on 8Apr - claypot rice !!

I believe a trip to tekka market will solve your problem.... seriously

Or he can also go NTUC and Giant etc. No need go so far.

Unbelievable that he knows only Chillies. The rest like carrots, cucumber, long beans, leek etc must be feeling sad. <_<

Edited by Renegade777

Neutral Newbie

Look out for stage 1 classes. The teacher will teach the very basic and also u have to be proactive and ask questions, be it stupid anot.

Or he can also go NTUC and Giant etc. No need go so far.

Unbelievable that he knows only Chillies. The rest like carrots, cucumber, long beans, leek etc must be feeling sad. <_<

There are different varieties of carrots, cucumber, etc... For cooking, need to know how to cook it to be suitable for consumption leh. My wife introduce me to japanese cucumber recently and it looks different from the regular one. Getting confused. [crazy]

Look out for stage 1 classes. The teacher will teach the very basic and also u have to be proactive and ask questions, be it stupid anot.

Where got such classes??? Which CC???

1st lession

1) introduction of cooking utensils

2) how to wash cooking utensils

3) introduction of basic seasonings (i.e salt, pepper, sugar, sauce etc)

4) introduction of how to cut, wash and marinate food

2nd lesson

1) a trip to supermarket/wet market to select and buy raw materials.

2) how to make friends with sellers in wet market to get better discount in future

3rd lession

1) how to heat up the wok and the amt of oil to pour

2) how to fry an egg or how to cook instant noodle

3) how to boil water

hmm...better still sign up a cooking course in france that costs more than 10K, then write a blog to boast abt it like some scholar [scholar]

Supercharged

it takes a bit of initiaive and common sense too.

I recently signed up for some cooking classes organised by the CCs and one thing i learnt from a teacher (not my class, but class next door) is to look and see and learn.

he said that he had many students who were top form "copy-writers" who just scribbled away as he verbally instructs, but never look at him do the cooking so in the end, the students end up asking him again and again how to do this and that.

My roasting class at Jln Besar CC also just ended, and my god !! - those aunties really terrible !! the teacher already hand out PRINTED recipes and instructions and these aunties just kept writing and asking the teacher to repeat and repeat and repeat his instructions ! Got one auntie did not even know where to buy Sunquick Orange concentrate !!

btw, this is for guys only - there is this cooking class at Geylang Serai CC every 2nd Wed of the month and its only $10. Sampling of the cooked food after the class, no packing away and no ingredients fee. This is to encourage more males to learn to cook. But i missed the class on 8Apr - claypot rice !!

geylang Serai???? [shakehead]

↡ Advertisement