Remember the Taxi driver killed in Orchard Road?

Mockngbrd

driver finally gets charged

Charged over cabbys death

A YOUNG motorist was charged in a district court on Friday with causing the death of a cabby by dangerous driving and injuring a passenger in his car.

Bimond Ang Mao Shun, 20, a student, allegedly beat the red lights along Penang Road and hit Mr Mohammed Faizal Sumawi's taxi which was proceeding along Killiney Road towards River Valley at about 2.15am on July 5 last year.

The charge says the collision resulted in the taxi being 'lifted up'. It flew to the left side of the junction across the zebra crossing before it overturned and landed on the footpath.

Mr Faizal, 35, who worked as a technical officer by day, died on the spot.

Ang is also accused of causing hurt to Miss Tjoa Shyet Teng, 20, seated in front of his Mitsubishi Evo 9, by doing an act so rashly as to endanger life or the personal safety of others.

If convicted of causing death by dangerous driving, Ang faces a mandatory jail term of up to five years.

The other offence is punishable with up to one year in jail and/or a fine of up to $5,000.

Ang is out on bail. His case has been fixed for a pre-trial conference on May 11.

By Mavis Toh

He was said to have had the sports car for all of 1-1/2 months before he wrecked it.

The car, a high-performance Mitsubishi Evo 9, was believed to be his third. The accident cost someone his life.

On July 5 at 2.35am, cabby Mohammed Faizal Sumawi, 35, died when his taxi collided with the Evo at the junction of Somerset, Penang and Killiney roads.

The driver and his female passenger, both in their 20s, were taken to the Singapore General Hospital. He was later arrested for causing death by dangerous driving and is now out on bail.

The accident sparked outrage on several online car forums, which are abuzz with talk of how another young man behind souped-up wheels has run into trouble.

His two previous cars were also said to have been involved in accidents.

Many compared the recent fatal crash with the case of a 24-year-old warehouse supervisor who caused the death of a saleswoman while test-driving a Mazda sports car in 2005.

He was handed a seven-month jail term last year and banned from driving for 10 years. Before he was sentenced, he had posted queries on forums, seeking opinions on which sports car to buy.

Entries on the car forums claimed that the young man involved in the July 5 accident was a member of Evo East Gang, a car racing group.

A car agent who said she sold the man the Evo in mid-May told The Sunday Times that her client was about to start his national service.

The agent, who declined to be named, added that the car was registered under the name of the man's uncle.

The uncle had apparently told the agent that it was his nephew's third car.

'The boy... said that he was a good driver,' said the dealer. 'He insisted on getting the car.'

Many in the forums expressed sympathy towards Mr Faizal's family.

The eldest of three siblings, Mr Faizal, a bachelor, started driving a cab part-time just five months ago. He had a full-time job as a technical officer.

His sister, Ms Siti Sumawi, 30, a bank assistant, said her brother drove only on weekend nights. He wanted to help lighten the cab rental load on a colleague's father.

The family has had no information from the police on the Evo driver so far.

Said Mr Faizal's mother, Madam Nordina, 59: 'We want to know what happened that night.'

ONLY VTEC can open

↡ Advertisement

Oh...This accident makes my blood boil. I happen to know the taxi driver. He is a very nice, happy-go-lucky, helpful kind of guy. It is sad that things ended this way for him. As for the reckless driver, i certainly hope that the guilt will stay with him for ever!!! He better do good stuffs, helping the needies for the rest of his life. Even if he were to be sentence the max. penalty, that is like 5 yrs....what the...... [furious][furious][furious]

Let's just pray one day some young punk smashed into him and take away his love ones...then he'll know what a stupid bengster he'd been all this while.....

I bet he started life with a stupid Honda [thumbsdown]

Please do not insult HONDA.

HONDA is the greatest technology ever invented.

The VTEC is like the GOD of performance racing can even beat terbo cars

How bout make him pay and support the dead taxi driver's family for the rest of his life?

this is a good idea [nod]

I'm insulting that bloody useless cheehong ah beng kia with that humku sissy pussy name [gorgeous]

I always say this, at the traffic junction where all vehicles from all direction meets, always slow down no matter whether you are on the right or wrong of way to check first before going through.

I know the discussion here is that everybody is pointing their fingers at the young driver who seems to play with his car on the road, but if the taxi driver is more cautious when he arrive at the junction, this accident might not happen.

And please, I am not siding this young driver who drives his rich father's car, I am sadden by such incident too ( this is no accident, in my opinion ) hopes he pays for it for his entire life in remorse.

Neutral Newbie

I always say this, at the traffic junction where all vehicles from all direction meets, always slow down no matter whether you are on the right or wrong of way to check first before going through.

I know the discussion here is that everybody is pointing their fingers at the young driver who seems to play with his car on the road, but if the taxi driver is more cautious when he arrive at the junction, this accident might not happen.

And please, I am not siding this young driver who drives his rich father's car, I am sadden by such incident too ( this is no accident, in my opinion ) hopes he pays for it for his entire life in remorse.

anything u say, Bimond Ang is going to jail for sure. Between 6-12 months jail. This is already a fact.

Correct me if I'm wrong. Honda also out the 1st ABS system on production cars.

Waa nice one. Uu must hv a collection of magazines at home. haha

No use letting him support the taxi driver family. He's so keen to show off he would not have the time to find a job for himself. He will just ask his bloody parents to support for him.

Maybe these kind of reckless prisoners should be police-led to crowded places like orchard where they can be humiliated. Its great... He would even have the opportunity to show himself off in public.

Neutral Newbie

omg 700hp. If one knows his limits, he shouldnt crash it. Guess he really cant control it.

the lime green rx7 at changi airport?

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Got information from magazines. Have u not heard dun trust everything in the internet? [rolleyes]

Hahaha..forgot about this thread. Prelude..1983. Merc S-class..1978. Which one is earlier? Type "1978 Bosch Mercedes S-class anti-lock" in google. Plenty of different references to verify the presence of ABS on the S-class. That's 5 years before the Prelude... Magazines are much lower in my 'trust' list than what you can find with google. Hehe.

Edited by Littlered
↡ Advertisement