A small scene at Hitachi Tower

Kelpie

Recently, was at Hitachi building, queuing for Chwee Kueh at this food stall. In front, an office lady was trying to pay the cashier $1.50 in coins.

1stly, the cashier commented that one of the ten cent is dirty, doesn't want to accept [:(] . Nevermind, the OL gave her 2 x 5 cent coins. Guess what the cashier said : "we don't accept 5 cents" [shakehead]. I could understand why that OL was furious and told the cashier off :"If you don't want to sell me the chwee kueh, give back my money!" [mad] . Later, the boss intercepted and apologized to the OL.

10 cent coin not money meh? 2 x 5 cents also not legal tender meh [confused]. I walked away and went for Burger King instead.

No wonder people been saying Singaporean has very poor customer service standard. Time is bad now and people still have this type of behaviour [speechless].

Regards,

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

Recently, was at Hitachi building, queuing for Chwee Kueh at this food stall. In front, an office lady was trying to pay the cashier $1.50 in coins.

1stly, the cashier commented that one of the ten cent is dirty, doesn't want to accept [:(] . Nevermind, the OL gave her 2 x 5 cent coins. Guess what the cashier said : "we don't accept 5 cents" [shakehead]. I could understand why that OL was furious and told the cashier off :"If you don't want to sell me the chwee kueh, give back my money!" [mad] . Later, the boss intercepted and apologized to the OL.

10 cent coin not money meh? 2 x 5 cents also not legal tender meh . I walked away and went for Burger King instead.

No wonder people been saying Singaporean has very poor customer service standard. Time is bad now and people still have this type of behaviour [speechless].

Regards,

IIRC, anything more than $2 in COINS is not considered legal tender..but in the OL's case, it's <$2..so still ok..

so much for bringing a whole vanload of $1 coins to buy a lambo.. [laugh] [laugh]

$1.50 in coins is not alot.. i ever have people change me $4 all in 10 cent and 20 cent coins!

You also operate food stall?

Regards,

i tot having customers giving u coins are good coz you dont need to go bank to change spare coins to give back changes?

10 cent coin not money meh? 2 x 5 cents also not legal tender meh [confused]. I walked away and went for Burger King instead.

Regards,

10 ct 20 ct also money. last time i pick up 50ct or $1 easily on the food court floor, nowadays only 10ct 20 cts....but nevermind still can buy a can of drink after a day of hard work

But from my point of view, should see the context also. Very seldom you see hawker centres charging food or drinks with 5cents denomination (even though it is legal tender). I for one, would be pissed off if the hawker gives me 5 cents coins as change. If you look from their angle, they would have difficulty clearing those 5cents coins from customers.

I normally clear my 5 cent coins in NTUC or 7 eleven or those supermarkets giving me those 5cents coins in the 1st place.

Neutral Newbie

Is this the Chwee Kueh stall located at the basement of Chevon House next to the escalator? When was this? Burger King in OUB already moved. Sad, no more burgers nearby.

The ladies in this shop are often rude; they just want to rush serving their customers.

usually 5cent i dont collect from my customers...soemtimes even if pop out 10 cents extra..also lazy to change or change back to them..v sian and waste time one..and also dont like them take so many coins..

Is this the Chwee Kueh stall located at the basement of Chevon House next to the escalator? When was this? Burger King in OUB already moved. Sad, no more burgers nearby.

The ladies in this shop are often rude; they just want to rush serving their customers.

OCBC Building still have one mah. Funny, rude still can survive till now?

Regards,

usually 5cent i dont collect from my customers...soemtimes even if pop out 10 cents extra..also lazy to change or change back to them..v sian and waste time one..and also dont like them take so many coins..

Erm.. is this a market norm that food stall operators don't like to take in small change? Just trying to understand from an operator's perspective.

Regards,

IIRC, anything more than $2 in COINS is not considered legal tender..but in the OL's case, it's <$2..so still ok..

so much for bringing a whole vanload of $1 coins to buy a lambo.. [laugh] [laugh]

I think it should be max $2 payable in minimum 1 cent coins is acceptable in SG law.

10 ct 20 ct also money. last time i pick up 50ct or $1 easily on the food court floor, nowadays only 10ct 20 cts....but nevermind still can buy a can of drink after a day of hard work

Last time your bonus $500K or $1M easily while between holes on the golf course, nowadays only $100K $200K... but nevermind still can buy a second hand BMW or two after a year of hard "work" [thumbsup]

Edited by Viceroymenthol

BK moved? Oh man! We shifted office from RP to Cecil Street a year ago and have not been to RP for a long time.

The chwee kueh is [thumbsdown] and the kopi [thumbsdown][thumbsdown] .

If i'm the OL, I'll pay with $50 or $100 notes and see how the woman react.

Not money meh I would tell her . .. . [flowerface]

Neutral Newbie

This is terrible, give pp a break, biz good so bad attitude. Wait till pp buy from elsewhere. Bad bad [thumbsdown]

Supercharged

Q10

Is it legal for shopkeepers to refuse accepting 1-cent coins as part payment for goods or services?

A10

Under the Currency Act (Chapter 69), coins issued by MAS shall be legal tender up to their face value in Singapore as follows:

a) in the case of coins of a denomination exceeding 50 cents - for payment of any amount;

b) in the case of coins of a denomination of 50 cents - for the payment of an amount not exceeding $10; and

c) in the case of coin of a denomination lower than 50 cents - for the payment of an amount not exceeding $2.

so you can buy lambo with $1 coins...

Edited by Eyke

Wasn't there some tycoon that paid his large debts in either coins or small notes because he was pissed with the company?

Regards,

nothing to do with legal or service, sporean becomes very 'neow', calculative, over-detailed, over.....small little thing....

↡ Advertisement