Jail term from 1.5 yrs to 1 day jail for dangerours driving!

Christan

here's the story

Editor's jail, fine reduced

1 1/2-year jail term for dangerous driving reduced upon appeal

By Selina Lum

IT WAS a day of twists and turns for a newspaper editor in the High Court yesterday as she saw her 1 1/2-year jail term slashed to a day and her $12,000 fine reduced to $2,000.

Changes after appeal

THE FIRST CHARGE

Causing the death of pillion rider Melania Melaniawati, 24, by dangerous driving. Maximum sentence under the law: Up to five years' jail.

... more

Lim Hong Eng, the 56-year-old executive editor of Shin Min Daily News, was in court to hear the outcome of the appeal against her sentence for knocking down and injuring a motorcyclist and killing his female pillion rider.

The appeal against her conviction was rejected, but the 1 1/2-year jail term dealt by a lower court was cut to a day's jail and a $12,000 fine on two charges.

Then, later in the morning, defence lawyers and the prosecutor ran some checks and realised there had been a sentencing error in one of the two charges.

The mistake was for the charge of causing death by dangerous driving, for which she was jailed a day and fined $10,000.

The Road Traffic Act does not make a provision for a fine for this offence, only jail time. So it was back to court after the lunch hour.

Justice Choo Han Teck set aside the $10,000 fine but did not increase the jail term, saying: 'In the circumstances, it will not be right to increase the custodial sentence to the detriment of the accused.'

He made it clear, however, that this was a one-off case and was not to be used as a sentencing precedent.

Lim will thus only have to go to jail for a day for the charge of causing death by dangerous driving, and pay a $2,000 fine for the other charge. Her counsel Subhas Anandan later told reporters that his client will donate $10,000 to charity.

Really a shocker. Just goes to show some people can get away with anything, even when one's at fault.

↡ Advertisement

i hope u'r ST senior correspondent Christopher Tan (cos ur nick is Christan)

if so, pls kindly do us a favor and write about this case in the newspaper.

give an objective opinion.

and the readers will decide for themselves

Edited by Friendstar

here's the story

Editor's jail, fine reduced

1 1/2-year jail term for dangerous driving reduced upon appeal

By Selina Lum

IT WAS a day of twists and turns for a newspaper editor in the High Court yesterday as she saw her 1 1/2-year jail term slashed to a day and her $12,000 fine reduced to $2,000.

Changes after appeal

THE FIRST CHARGE

Causing the death of pillion rider Melania Melaniawati, 24, by dangerous driving. Maximum sentence under the law: Up to five years' jail.

... more

Lim Hong Eng, the 56-year-old executive editor of Shin Min Daily News, was in court to hear the outcome of the appeal against her sentence for knocking down and injuring a motorcyclist and killing his female pillion rider.

The appeal against her conviction was rejected, but the 1 1/2-year jail term dealt by a lower court was cut to a day's jail and a $12,000 fine on two charges.

Then, later in the morning, defence lawyers and the prosecutor ran some checks and realised there had been a sentencing error in one of the two charges.

The mistake was for the charge of causing death by dangerous driving, for which she was jailed a day and fined $10,000.

The Road Traffic Act does not make a provision for a fine for this offence, only jail time. So it was back to court after the lunch hour.

Justice Choo Han Teck set aside the $10,000 fine but did not increase the jail term, saying: 'In the circumstances, it will not be right to increase the custodial sentence to the detriment of the accused.'

He made it clear, however, that this was a one-off case and was not to be used as a sentencing precedent.

Lim will thus only have to go to jail for a day for the charge of causing death by dangerous driving, and pay a $2,000 fine for the other charge. Her counsel Subhas Anandan later told reporters that his client will donate $10,000 to charity.

Really a shocker. Just goes to show some people can get away with anything, even when one's at fault.

have u guys all wondered, if the victim is another elite e.g., Base commander of a camp, MP, etc etc

would she have gotten away with it with just one day?

this is to set the stage for the 20 year old EVO driver that kill the cabbies, the lawyer will have a strong example to appeal.... while get used to it that sin SYSTEMS

I feel disguised and outraged, our world class judiciary can have such great difference in judgment.

So who is the kangaroo that passed the wrong sentence. I feel Miss Lim should just quietly donate her money to the death pillion rider Miss Melania Melaniawatithe 's family, instead of charity and not publish it in the news.

The donation to charity only make Miss Lim feel better but not the death, the pains, the sorrows suffered.

I can also make a donation if I am happy.

first time that i learnt a judge can do this trick. what if a person committed manslaughther and a "special" verdict is given and said this is a one-off case and must not be used as a sentencing precedent. hmm, not sure whether the EVO guy lawyer can appeal for a "one off" sentencing.

LAW should be fair to everyone whether you are a high post editor -> normal person on the street -> chow ah beng

Edited by Wt_know

IS Mr Walter Woon on leave ?

do you need to post his name? dun play with lawyers. you will get back 10 times the damage.

do you need to post his name? dun play with lawyers. you will get back 10 times the damage.

who knows he may be a lawyer himself?

first time that i learnt a judge can do this trick. what if a person committed manslaughther and a "special" verdict is given and said this is a one-off case and must not be used as a sentencing precedent. hmm, not sure whether the EVO guy lawyer can appeal for a "one off" sentencing.

LAW should be fair to everyone whether you are a high post editor -> normal person on the street -> chow ah beng

i think someone needs to write to the forum regarding the one-off case.

the judge should explain.

Neutral Newbie

.... the 1 1/2-year jail term dealt by a lower court was cut to a day's jail and a $12,000 fine on two charges.

No punishment for such blunder?? [confused]

yes the judge should explain to the public why the accuse get away so easily???

It is a matter of 0ne die and one injure.

Since the accuse said that she was careless at that moment of time, she has to get serious

punishment for causing such a serious and deadly mistake??

what happen to the law in singapore?????So sad for the so call system ?

is it really true that rich people get away easy whereas poor people face the music.

I only hear this only happen in other country, singapore also like that ??

People who drive carelesssly should go to hell as they have no right to take away

other people precious life...these people have their dearly family and beloved....

I shout out loud::::::::::::::::::::::why ?Why? this is not justice at all ???

[furious][furious][furious]

can Mdm Lim sleep well at nite ??

I believe she will sleep well. I will not be surprise if there's a mini-celebration for the extreme light slap on the wrist sentence. I feel tht most of time the accuse can't sleep well, is becoz of the anxiety of facing the law, rather than the guilt.