Haiz...retrenchment letter? :(

Westender

I'm sure some bro's company is going thru the abv mentioned exersice.

After working 12+yrs in my current company, finally I may be on the chopping board soon. [smallcry]

Just wondering, if being retrenched, is it compulsory for a company to give out payout, golden handshake, 1mth/1year and so on?

Can a company just terminate you and pay you 1 mth and ask you to fly kite?

Big MNC might have to cash to so call retrench you but how about smaller company?

If they don't have the cash, probably they'll find a way to terminate you or even fire you.

↡ Advertisement

After working 12+yrs in my current company, finally I may be on the chopping board soon. [smallcry]

Just wondering, if being retrenched, is it compulsory for a company to give out payout, golden handshake, 1mth/1year and so on?

Big MNC might have to cash to so call retrench you but how about smaller company?

If they don't have the cash, probably they'll find a way to terminate you or even fire you.

Sad to say that there isn't a hard and fast rule of 1 month compensation for every single that you've worked. In fact, you should read your employee contract carefully. These days, compaines can actually terminate your service if "your service is no longer required" by giving you 1 month notice.

Regards,

No such thing as compulsory compensation unless otherwise written in your contract. My company only give 1 month compensation and ask you to leave immediately [thumbsdown]

No such thing as compulsory compensation unless otherwise written in your contract. My company only give 1 month compensation and ask you to leave immediately [thumbsdown]

Singapore is pro employer rather than employee. Remembered once one senior staff was given 1 month termination notice. He sued the company but lost in the end. Because the contract already said company has the right to terminate your service anytime by giving one month notice so long your service is no longer required by the company.

Regards,

sadly not the case, esp if you are in executive.. i.e. not factory worker..

factory worker have more protection coz they can go on tv due to low income.. [;)]

Singapore is pro employer rather than employee. Remembered once one senior staff was given 1 month termination notice. He sued the company but lost in the end. Because the contract already said company has the right to terminate your service anytime by giving one month notice so long your service is no longer required by the company.

Regards,

Yea. My company just lost a big job bidding yesterday, guess retrenchment and pay cut is unavoidable now [shakehead]

are we hiring? demand sure to go up after chap goh [shakehead][shakehead]

I think we better don't have too many perm staff.. coz when economy goes up and less business, we will to pay them months of salary to let them go.

I think contract or parttimer will do.. save on all the other staff benefit like free coffin, ahem, i meant cabin and give us the flexibility as well.

govt said one, so must follow, can't go wrong.

truly unfortunate... during my co last round global retrenchment exercise, our China & Taiwan employees received N+1mth, European & Americas got fat package, Singaporean was the poorest... :angry:

Edited by Tortoise777

truly unfortunate... during my co last round global retrenchment exercise, our China & Taiwan employees received N+1mth, Europe & USA got fat package, S'pore was the poorest... :angry:

[laugh] Cos others have worker's union to protect them. Sg's....NATO.

some companies practice "termination of services" and NOT retrenchment. therefore there is no package or compensation.

it all depend on your employment contract, most of us when we resign, we need to give 1 month notice period and if we want to leave immedaitely we need to pay the company 1 month pay. likewise when a company dont want you, they either give you a notice period (1month, 2month, 2 weeks or 3 days depending on your contract) or they pay you the notice period $$.

they will emphasis "THIS is NOT a retrechment exercise, thus there is no package." [sweatdrop]

Neutral Newbie

some companies practice "termination of services" and NOT retrenchment. therefore there is no package or compensation.

it all depend on your employment contract, most of us when we resign, we need to give 1 month notice period and if we want to leave immedaitely we need to pay the company 1 month pay. likewise when a company dont want you, they either give you a notice period (1month, 2month, 2 weeks or 3 days depending on your contract) or they pay you the notice period $$.

they will emphasis "THIS is NOT a retrechment exercise, thus there is no package." [sweatdrop]

Yes that is termed "severance payout" to terminate with immediate effect for employees who are no longer on probation. But normally this practice is only used for problematic employees who either have performance issues or time keeping problem etc... But again this really depends on your employment contract amongst other company policies and whether you are an exempt or non-exempt staff.

↡ Advertisement