Aircon problem with my Octavia A5

Ommph

Dear Experts,

I am encountering problem with my aircon. Recently, there is a foul smell emitted from the A/C and the air is not cold at all. Even when I turned to 3, the back is still a mobile sauna.

My mechanic said that the compressor is no good after checking it and quoted me $900 for the replacement. I have been to Skoda service centre and was told that there is no problem at all.

Could it really be the compressor issue? I yes, is it reasonable to change the compressor for $900?

One more question, I will be going to Skoda Service Centre in the afternoon to change the Auto Tranmission Oil. Just curious, I dun see any container for the oil in the bonnet. Any idea where it is located?

Your advices are most appreciated.

Thank you

↡ Advertisement

I did changed my Octavia A/C compressor for about that amount too. Is your car coming up to 3yrs? If yes, it's normal for a wear and tear item.

Yes... that's the normal price quoted by AD... Is your car under warranty.. if so.. then get them changed.. if not.. other workshop can do the job as well..

My aircon compressor fail the last time ( Opel Astra G ) but get workshop to replace the faulty electrical part of it.. and cost me less than $200.. otherwise need to cough up $750+..

foul smell... 2 things.. aircon not working and your filter badly needs to be changed...

My car is 2 yrs old. The AD is quoting me about $1K+ for the job.

Air Filter cleaned already but guess it is almost time to change a new one too.

Sigh........guess that left me with not much choice now.

By the way, any idea how much it costs to change the auto tranmission oil?

try the Sin Ming Comfort Auto Service, I paid S$450 for my Octy A4. Despite the fact that my Sanden Aircon was fitted in Czech and should cost more...The lady there is Mary, which has been very kind.

Dear Experts,

I am encountering problem with my aircon. Recently, there is a foul smell emitted from the A/C and the air is not cold at all. Even when I turned to 3, the back is still a mobile sauna.

My mechanic said that the compressor is no good after checking it and quoted me $900 for the replacement. I have been to Skoda service centre and was told that there is no problem at all.

Could it really be the compressor issue? I yes, is it reasonable to change the compressor for $900?

One more question, I will be going to Skoda Service Centre in the afternoon to change the Auto Tranmission Oil. Just curious, I dun see any container for the oil in the bonnet. Any idea where it is located?

Thank you

wah sis, long time no hear from you. Thot you were doing some studies or something like that ? How's it going ?

As bro Fortress mentioned, CAS is one place to go. The other is Mark-Cool in Woodlands. Think its slightly more expensive than CAS but definitely not AD pricing ..... [sweatdrop]

By the way, why you need to change auto-trans oil so soon ? What's your mileage so far ?

Neutral Newbie

Hi Sis,

Did you notice that your engine oil temp increase when your car is idling?? If so, it maybe your aircon fan thats broke instead of the compressor. Changing out the fan costs aroung $500

just curious we are talking abt HA workshop is it? Skoda service center says nothing wrong with the compressor, but did they find out what's wrong? Your mechanic says compressor got problem....outside one?

Scary thoughts that the AD workshop is so incompetent.....

Similar experiences have been shared by many on JTA, CA and HA...as for mine, it was about the ABS, hunting rpm, dead dashboard (no instrument working), of which all have been and have to be resolved on my own. [thumbsdown]

sorry for the late reply coz got class last nite. been doing fine, abeit busy with studies and work. n now, with the silly car.

When the car is idling, the temp did not raise significantly. But just this morning, i heard a very small noise coming out of the aircon...guess the fate is sealed liao...sigh.

My mileage is about 59k now..need to change auto transmission oil? I dun service my car at the AD workshop coz too difficult to book a lot and take too long to service + SO EXPENSIVE!!!! [sweatdrop]

AD workshop say must take out everything and check to see what is wrong with the aircon but the outside workshop only need to gauge the gas, press the pedal hard...then presto! Compressor got problem. [knife][bigcry]

But i am really curious on where to find the transmission oil container....

Dear Experts,

Thank you

Go to Markcool or another wkshop for 2nd opinion.

As for the ATF, skoda cars, as with VW do not need to change the ATF. Its for lifetime use. *yeah right !!* h ah ha ... thats why there is no place to pour in the engine compartment. Its below the engine one. And since there is no container, not every workshop has that machine to suck out the old ATF.

servo charges $150 to change ATF. HA charges $170 + labour which is $70/hr.

Neutral Newbie

Sis,

You can try Aldan on the second level of AMK autopt. its a 1 stop servicing workshop for engine and aircon. They do servicing for the skoda taxi fleet in singapore. I just did my car servicing there and I must say they do a good job and much cheaper that AD. infact I've seen some of the mishandled parts that the AD had done to my car when servicing with Aldan and had to change them out or do some adjustments. look for Allan. If you need his contact I can PM you

Sis,

You may want to consult the following workshop for a check.

Bee Leong Motor Works

143 Bt Timah Rd Singapore 229843

This workshop is located inside a Shell station beside Esso just before Newton Food Centre. Look for Ah Kee.

Before concluding the compressor is faulty, perhaps you would want to consider asking the mech to check on:

1) refrigerant

2) cooling coil

If the compressor is indeed spoilt, do ascertain if the compressor type in the A5 allows for replacement of clutch plates, rather than the whole compressor. This will definitely save you a bundle from replacing the whole compressor.

I will really appreciate if you can give me the contact of Aldan. In the meantime, I will drive over to Bee Leong Motor Works for a quick check again since i am in the area.

Keeping my finger crossed that I dun need to change the compressor......

U mean we dun need to change the ATF at all!!!!?????? Can tahan or not??!!!!! Wow...i am really surprised!

Did anyone here drive without changing ATF???

Yes, officially VW gearboxes (non DSG) are for lifetime use ....

your mileage already 60K (same as mine, just crossed 60K), its good to change lah. I changed mine @ ard 45K.

For that little money compared to a AT repair, better to treat it better : P

↡ Advertisement