Whatever happened to LTA's Personalised Car Plate No Plan?

Agnoxis

This was published in the Straits Times way back in Mar 07. 2 years on, what's the status?

===

Name your own plates soon for Singapore cars

By Christopher Tan, Senior Correspondent

ILUVROCK, BOND007 or even LIMTUATOW - these may be some of the special number plates on cars here, perhaps later this year.

Also called personalised or vanity plates, they are a common sight in many countries, including the US, Britain, Australia and Denmark.

They could hit Singapore's streets as soon as this year, sources told The Straits Times.

The Land Transport Authority said it is still working on details and has not decided on the implementation date.

'This came out of the blue and seems to be in line with the loosening of rules here,' an observer said.

In the meantime, said the LTA, it has been working with the motor trade industry and others to make changes to its systems to allow the use of personalised numbers on vehicles.

As in other countries where they are allowed, such plates are likely to cost quite a bit.

In Hongkong, tycoon Albert Yeung paid HK$13 million (S$2.5 million) for a simple '9', which in Cantonese connotes longevity. Other popular plates there include HANDSOME, K1NG and 1 LOVE U.

The Straits Times understands the LTA is studying various pricing options, but a flat fee is more likely than an auction system.

Various agencies such as the Housing Board, the Urban Redevelopment Authority and the Association of Hire Purchase are being informed of the plan.

'Apparently, the computer system needs to be upgraded to accommodate the changes,' said a spokesman for the Singapore Vehicle Traders Association.

The new number plate may take up to 12 characters - compared with the maximum eight now.

Motorists and dealers welcome the move.

Mr Glenn Tan, chief executive of Subaru agent MotorImage, said: 'It is a great idea. When I was studying in the States, I had a personalised number, TCH18. TCH are the initials for my Chinese name, Tan Chun Hong.'

Plates with offensive or sensitive messages are unlikely to be allowed. Five years ago, the LTA banned vowels in number plates in what was seen as a pre-emptive move to prevent SEX on Singapore's roads.

↡ Advertisement

Turbocharged

well, with current global condition, they wont implement it anytime soon, even if they have the plan to do so........ ROI is much lower u know.... dont forget, every decision or plan or policy must be linked to $$$$ generated....[laugh]

So what happened to this project? Not like Singapore Gov to take 8-9 years and no news... Lol

Turbocharged

So what happened to this project? Not like Singapore Gov to take 8-9 years and no news... Lol

Already making good money from the current 1-9999 bidding system... why need to invest more money into it? 

i curious too.

my opinion is that too many rich and elites who owns existing rare plates will complain to LTA saying that vanity plates will cause their existing plates to lose value. maybe this is the reason why the project silently axed.

think about it, some of these people paid upwards of $500k to buy lets say S11T or Q1X or E7E and then when vanity plates come out, suddenly their investment drop by a lot.

• Praise 1

i curious too.

my opinion is that too many rich and elites who owns existing rare plates will complain to LTA saying that vanity plates will cause their existing plates to lose value. maybe this is the reason why the project silently axed.

think about it, some of these people paid upwards of $500k to buy lets say S11T or Q1X or E7E and then when vanity plates come out, suddenly their investment drop by a lot.

I din know buying special number plates is considered an investment.

Twincharged

hahaha as usual lah.. it must be issue of revenue when something can make the govt drag their feet

CCBPAP will be my plate

The personalized car plate no. cannot be rolled out because of people like you that will come up with such combination lah... ... :yuush:

I joking only hor, don't dislike me ok? [laugh] [laugh] [laugh]

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

Supersonic
(edited)

hahaha as usual lah.. it must be issue of revenue when something can make the govt drag their feet

This project confirmed cannot make big profits, thats why it is not materialised. Govt would not do loss money project.

Edited by 13177