LTA awards S$368 million contract for 22 new trains????

Help1

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/sin.../427284/1/.html

LTA awards S$368 million contract for 22 new trains

SINGAPORE: The Land Transport Authority has awarded a S$368 million contract for 22 new trains for the North-South and East-West Lines.

The trains are scheduled to be progressively delivered to Singapore from 2011 till 2012.

With the 22 new trains and modifications for an additional track at Jurong East station, LTA says commuters will experience a shorter waiting time and a more comfortable ride on trains during peak periods.

The modifications and new trains will increase the capacity of the North-South, East-West Lines by about 15 per cent and enable the lines to meet projected demand till 2020.

1) shorter waiting time maybe

2) more comfortable ride??? how to when smrt already remove most of the seats in current trains inorder to squeeze in more passengers and are there any train stewardess serving me or massaging me during the journey?

3) spend S$368 million just to increase the capacity by abt 15%, well spent and wise???

4) to meet the projected demand till 2020 whereas the trains will only be delivered 2011/2012, does that mean the trains will only be used for abt 8-9 yrs before the next change?

↡ Advertisement

$368 million for 22 trains??? Each train is $16 million??

Wah piang.... LTA kena carrot...

[laugh] damn funny

as a comparison, the upcoming Marina Coast Expressway cost $4.5billion if i am not wrong ...

$4.5billion for upcoming Marina Coast Expressway, i won't be surprise, if they award the contract to a local contractor and due to the close proximity of the sea and soil condition, and if the company has the expertise to deal with such complex project, surely quote high high but still lower than overseas contractor.

$4.5billion for upcoming Marina Coast Expressway, i won't be surprise, if they award the contract to a local contractor and due to the close proximity of the sea and soil condition, and if the company has the expertise to deal with such complex project, surely quote high high but still lower than overseas contractor.

i am not sure but i think i read that the flyover of the MCE actually extend out into the sea and back into city area, so they need to build the pillar on the sea bed. qactually why dont they just build a second tier above the existing ECP which is much cheaper. ok, i am no civil engineer, just my 2 cents. [laugh]

Neutral Newbie

I wonder if those contractors are "related" to any of the elites. How come i feel that they can get cheaper elsewhere and yet those contractors get the deal.

Another issue was the erp gantries and the graphic boards, which cost 1.5m and 600k respectively(if i recall correctly). Wise spending??

Neutral Newbie

i am not sure but i think i read that the flyover of the MCE actually extend out into the sea and back into city area, so they need to build the pillar on the sea bed. qactually why dont they just build a second tier above the existing ECP which is much cheaper. ok, i am no civil engineer, just my 2 cents. [laugh]

i think it was mentioned that they could actually build everything in the air but it would cause the skyline to look messy and depreciate the values of the property there! hence the decision to go underground! well, that's their reason!

as a comparison, the upcoming Marina Coast Expressway cost $4.5billion if i am not wrong ...

Ard there lah. MCE cost so much is becos of the difficulty in construction. Parts of the tunnel run under the sea (in front of Marina Barrage). Also majority of the project is on reclaim land. LTA dun wanna another Nicoll Highway accident.

$368 million for 22 trains??? Each train is $16 million??

Wah piang.... LTA kena carrot...

Their Chairman name is not "Robert" leh [sly]

now peak hour, the train runs at 1,2,3 minutes interval already.

can say it is almost back to back liao. how r u going to add more trains onto the tracks? we have seen trains slowing down, stopped and wait for trains in front of them to move off from the MRT station be4 they can even move forward.

reduce waiting time ? i seriously bet to differ. it's time to build 8 carriage, 9 carriage trains / stations because the 6-carriage MRT system cannot cope with the number of passenger during peak hours.

by adding 22 new trains, i bet they will retire 22 old trains.

LTA probably wants to justify their $368M dollar by telling peasants that it will benefit them. <_<

now peak hour, the train runs at 1,2,3 minutes interval already.

can say it is almost back to back liao. how r u going to add more trains onto the tracks? we have seen trains slowing down, stopped and wait for trains in front of them to move off from the MRT station be4 they can even move forward.

reduce waiting time ? i seriously bet to differ. it's time to build 8 carriage, 9 carriage trains / stations because the 6-carriage MRT system cannot cope with the number of passenger during peak hours.

by adding 22 new trains, i bet they will retire 22 old trains.

LTA probably wants to justify their $368M dollar by telling peasants that it will benefit them. <_<

Well ready made excuses to up the fare in future

maybe vice-chairman's name is "Tua Carrot" with the surname of Tua.... [laugh]

Mayb his sruname is "Kum" and name "gong"

wonder how much does SMRT and SBS pay LTA for the MRT system?

LTA pays for the tracks, the trains and SMRT, SBS runs it. it's like Father pay and build a company for the sons to enjoy and earn $

Father take $ from peasants -> build MRT -> give to son -> sons charges peasants for using MRT.

i can see who are the ultimate winners and losers.

Hypersonic

is these trains are meant to replace older trains which are beyond econmic repair, why cant they just upfront say that now because worldwide prices are depressed so they buy now and ask for delivery in the estimated coe year of the old train

↡ Advertisement