Should I downgrade from a cefiro to avante?

Wind30

Turbocharged
(edited)

Hi People,

I am currently driving a March 2006 cefiro 2.3l. The mileage is around 36k. I am thinking about selling this car ($45k?) and getting a cheap avante to "save" money.

Will I actually save money? I am worried about maintaining the old cefiro. Something just died on the ceifro last month and cost me $500 to repair. The 40k servicing is coming up and I think doing with Tan Cheong will cost quite a bomb if there are many parts to be replaced.

I don't really drive that often, 3 years only 36k mileage. I am curious, will it be cheaper to drive a 3 year old 2.3l cefiro or a brand new 1.6l avante, taking into consideration the depreciation of the car, the servicing, the insurance, and road tax.

My GUESSTIMATE is

2.3 cefiro

1 year depreciation = $5k??

servicing = $1k

insurance = $1.6k

road tax = $1.6k

petrol = $250x12 = $3k

parts/repair costs = $1k

total = 14.2k

1.6 avante

1 year depreciation (average over the next three years cuz first year depreciation very high) = $5k??

servicing = 0k

insurance = $0.8k

road tax = $0.7k

petrol = $200 x12 = $2.4k

parts/repair costs = $0k

total = 8.9k

Is any of my numbers wrong?

Edited by Wind30
↡ Advertisement

2nd Gear

your servicing has to be a little higher. changing of engine oil all these has to be included

how can your petrol be $3k a year and you done only 36k in 3 years ?

$3k is about 2000litre, and suppose you do 8km per litre that is 16k km per year, multiply by 3 will be almost 50k km liao.

Hypersonic

If you had fully paid your Cefiro, just continue drive it.

Your caculation also look funny, don't forget about your initial loss for the 1st 3 yrs. If you bought your Cefiro at 2006 for $90k, now you are selling off for $45k, you had loss $15k/yr already. How you get the depreciation of $5k?

Frankly speaking... there is no such thing as a down grade if you drive a car which is consider inferior to your current. In this era, cash is king. It will only be considered as a downgrade if you need to pay more in order to sustain the ride as it may affect your lifestyle cos more money has gone to the car instead of the owner.

IMHO, continue driving your cerfiro... At least until it's close to 5 yrs old and consider changing again...

Since your warranty has already lapsed, do your servicing with outside reputable workshops which could easily cost 30-50% cheaper than going back to Tan Chong.

As you rarely used your car, then extend your servicing period by another 2-3 months... There is no hard & fast rule when it comes to servicing period... Which is typically 6 months or 10,000 KMs...

check your driving pattern.. downgrading it OPC may be well worth it if you only drives them over the weekend. At least you save on the tax... and use coupon if you need to drive it at other times..

The cash rebate ( yet to be announced ), you can dump it back to the finance company and maybe re-packaged your loan. With lower monthly payments, you can spend on more day coupons on some days.. and also more spare money for the servicing etc.. at least cash flow is more controllable...

Getting another car will lower your monthly payments but taking another $20K loss just after a loss of $45K for your current ride is something that is hard to swallow... what's more.. you get to keep the car that you like to drive.. that is if driving is something that you enjoy.

At the end of the day, you make the call.. It's a Nissan.. why are you worried so much about the maintenance. It's a J car supposed to be more reliable and cost effective in maintaining..

Neutral Newbie

check your driving pattern.. downgrading it OPC may be well worth it if you only drives them over the weekend. At least you save on the tax... and use coupon if you need to drive it at other times..

The cash rebate ( yet to be announced ), you can dump it back to the finance company and maybe re-packaged your loan. With lower monthly payments, you can spend on more day coupons on some days.. and also more spare money for the servicing etc.. at least cash flow is more controllable...

you are referring to when buying a new car right?

(edited)

nope.. I mean he can downgrade the current ride to OPC... the gahmen are reviewing the scheme to allow for cash rebate for current car to downgrade to OPC..... trying to avoid getting a new one... the nett lost is horrendous to say the least..

Even there's no cash rebate, he downgrade now and use the OPC "top up" rebate when he want to sell the car. In that way, the depreciation is lowered and can sell maybe in 2 years time.. lesser losses..

Edited by Quirky_ster

if you still have outstanding finance to clear for your old car, forget about changing. Stick with your V6 vroom vroom.

Turbocharged

how can your petrol be $3k a year and you done only 36k in 3 years ?

$3k is about 2000litre, and suppose you do 8km per litre that is 16k km per year, multiply by 3 will be almost 50k km liao.

mm... I think recently the petrol price went up a lot right? I am/was paying around $80+ full tank on the cefiro and that will last me around 10 days.

Turbocharged

If you had fully paid your Cefiro, just continue drive it.

Your caculation also look funny, don't forget about your initial loss for the 1st 3 yrs. If you bought your Cefiro at 2006 for $90k, now you are selling off for $45k, you had loss $15k/yr already. How you get the depreciation of $5k?

ok... the depreciation is for the next few years. not the initial 3 years for the cefiro. I bought the cefiro for $89k so now sell around $45(-49k?) lose around 13k per year. That one is write off already.

What I am calculating is future depreciation. ie if I keep the cefiro for one more year, how much will the car lose value by.

my fren told me once u drove a jap car, u wont want to drive a korean.

↡ Advertisement