Quality of Petrol: Shell VPower > Caltex 98 > Shell 98

Piyopico

Supercharged

Shell V Power being the best and the Caltex 98 coming in between the former and Shell 98.

Agree or not?

Somehow the Caltex 98 now is unlike the Caltex Platinum they used to sell; which was a direct rival to Shell's V Power.

confused.gif

↡ Advertisement

(edited)

Shell V Power being the best and the Caltex 98 coming in between the former and Shell 98.

Agree or not?

Somehow the Caltex 98 now is unlike the Caltex Platinum they used to sell; which was a direct rival to Shell's V Power.

[confused]

i suspect caltex 98 is the gold. not platinum. dun tink caltex is so stupid to lower their profit margin.

i pump at shell due to my UOB Now card SMART$ rebate. bo pian. if not, will pump at esso.

Edited by Arikevin

(edited)

if u do a blind test, I doubt u could tell what brand r is ur car pumping. There was a friend of mine, driving Lancer GLS. He always claims that his car works the best with V-Power and SPC /esso totally cannot make it. I do not agree with him and challenge him to do a blind test. If he could tell me 10/10 times which petrol i pumped for him, i will pay him 1 full tank of petrol, if he cant, he have to pump full tank for me. (Im only driving vios with 45L capacity)

At 1st he hesitated and told me that it is not fair cause to get 10/10 times correct is not easy, he proposed 7/10 instead. I told him that since he is so confident and claimed that other petrol is really so lousy and the diferrent is so obvious, how to guess wrongly? I told him that if he is not sure, better dun talk noncense... i told him that since he have no confident, den i lower the challenge to 7 guesses. but he must make all the guess correct (he just need to guess whether its V-power or not).

Infront of other friend, he kena suan by all of us and he buay tahan and took the challenge. I ask him how much petrol he use everyday and he told me that he travel around 80km daily. So we decide to pump 10L of petrol everyday. We look for another friend as witness and he will go to petrol kiosk with me every night to pump petrol. To ensure that the challenge is fair, we try to finish minimise the petrol in the tank by driving around until the red light is up before we proceed to the petrol kiosk..

I only revert the result to my friend in on the 7th challenge, he only manage to guess 2/7 times correctly. on the 1st 6 pumps, I pumped Ron 95 petrol (cant remember the brand), the last round, I pumped V-Power... he only manage to get the correct anwers during the 1st 2 rounds, where he said its not V-power....and the rest of the Ron 95 petrol i pumped for him is as good as V-power [laugh][laugh][laugh] , the last pump on v-power he say no power and scold me for pumping his car with Ron 92 petrol, he say his car is not suppose to pump anything lower than Ron 95. [knife][knife]

So? if anyone tells u that how good is x brand petrol and he can really feels the diferrent everytime he pump this brand. challenge him the same way i did...

Edited by Tigershark1976

Neutral Newbie

lancer can drink 92 leh jb 91 also can drink

family car cant feel the diff btw 92 95 98 lah

u both wasting $ & time.

it a fact than during tuning, platinium can advance timing more than v power.

but the platinium now, dont know is real or fake lah.

Supercharged
(edited)

Well thatz your fren's experience.

In my case, the difference is obvious expecially the roughness/sound of the engine. Different engines may behave differently.

In any case I pump V Power only if it is priced at 98 price.

Some bashers just cant stand it if some people like to pump more expensive petrol, BTW otz not your money they are using and many people definitely can afford it. If itz too exp for you then dun pump, dun kick up a fuss and stay within the topic.

Sorry ah, not talking about you Tigershark.

Edited by Piyopico

There was an article in Torque comparing the performance of various petrol brands and octane ratings on a dyno.

The results showed that whilst the power output was at times highest for octane 95 and at times for 98, it depended on engine tuning.

One possible suggestion for the impression of increased power is that additives may alter the torque curve a little, resulting in a slight "push" that many feel at lower and medium revs. Hence the claims that power is better with octane 98 by butt-dyno.

My car uses octane 98; Caltex makes the engine run quieter but seems less eager to rev. The converse is true for Shell. Personally, no added performance with Platinum or V-power; perhaps they're meant to be a marketing ploy.

Supercharged

Caltex 98 should be better than Shell 98.

Esso 98, dunnoe, never pump before.

SPC 98, not good compared to Shell or Caltex.

Last time when Caltex Platinum was avail, itz better than V Power.

Then again your butt and your car may react differently or feel no difference.

[lipsrsealed]

(edited)

aiyo, lets do a blind test and u will be shock with the result... u pay min fees (for the ulimate petrol challenge :D:D) to learn that lower Ron / whatever so additive will make no much diff to your power/ engine so long the petrol meet the min requirement of your car manufacturer (eg-for Vios/ altis, Ron 91 is min) such test can save u a fortune in long run...

Edited by Tigershark1976

lancer can drink 92 leh jb 91 also can drink

family car cant feel the diff btw 92 95 98 lah

u both wasting $ & time.

it a fact than during tuning, platinium can advance timing more than v power.

but the platinium now, dont know is real or fake lah.

I dunno what lancer can drink, but if u see the way he talk, u really wanna laugh, say v-power good, but during blind test, say v-power got no power and mistaken Vpower as 92 petrol [laugh][laugh] .... i know family car cant tell the diff, but if people willing to give me 1 full tank of petrol, how to reject?... full tank of ron 92 for my vios is more than $60 leh...

I switched from Esso95 to Caltex Platinum recently for a few tanks already. I could feel more power, but then this is very subjective. The most important thing is that my mileage increased dramatically. On Esso 95, i could get 10-10.5km/l, on Caltex platinum, i get 12-12.5km/l. Same driving pattern, stuck in jams, sometimes whack throttle, etc. Shell 95 gets me around 11-11.5km/l. Have not tried Vpower yet so no comments.

I think different cars prefer different petrol. You will have to find out which one is most suitable for your ride.

Neutral Newbie

V power gave me 14+ km/L compared to 95 at 12+ km/L.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Many ppl complain promotion for V power at 98 is treat us like idiots because they will raise prices later.

But look at it this way, y other brands dont give promotion for their premium brands at a lower cost?

Or

If shell always the first one to raise the prices, y other brands also raise it within the day later? If other brands could absorb the price hike, won't more customers flock to them as lower selling price = higher profit due to large qty sold.

So in all, maybe Shell is more fast in raising but other brands don't help by supporting the price hike. So we should blame the oil empire for holding us ransom by lowering down production to increase demand resulting in price hike.

Neutral Newbie

did u go and check caltex is offering platium at 98 price.

2nd ques, if shell dun raise their prices first you tink the rest would follow.

Believe the rest follow suit but at a later time so that customers at least have a last pump before any adjustments.

u working for HUM PIAO AH.

Than u must be HUM KIA wor

↡ Advertisement