Lexus IS250C or BMW 323iC

Nus24

(edited)

not really worth the money....to buy a Toyota Convertible...Check out the turn signal taken out from altis with coe is 190k plus....i got a invite to the launch....if you keen can let you know the place and time....for that kind of money i rather go for the real thing , Alfa , Bmw, Merc, Volvo

What's real then?

If you say a Lexus is a Toyota, THEN:

An Alfa is really a FIAT.

A Volvo is really a Ford.

An Audi is really a Volkswagen.

They all share the same parts bin, engines included.

So let's stick to the true-blue luxury marques then - BMW and Mercedes Benz. [thumbsup]

Edited by Jolie888
↡ Advertisement

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Just go find a low mileage BMW or Mercedes and you'll enjoy it more than a Lexus.

The thing about Lexus, they have the RX350, then use the same body for harrier....I mean either way, why not get a used X5?

But then if buy 2nd hand, really must pick the car carefully. Guys OK lah, if engine shiver we know what happen, we know how to jump start etc. But for ladies, they have no choice but to buy newer cars.

Edited by Davc

V6 need DCRBS to be smooth, as the configuration is not inherently stable, unlike the IL-6. The DCRBS also adds unwanted weight to the engine.

V6 only need 1 set of counter balancing to smoothen end-end vibration.

Technically V engines are more difficult to balance but some of the newer ones have good design which makes them smooth.

So nowadays, both are good.

I dont' see how IL6 is not as smooth as V6.

Honestly, nowadays.....even BMW IL4 engines are quite smooth....these guys are good....Honda too has many nice engines.

BMW IL-4 is always smooth since quite long time ago. However, u need to drive it hard to maximise it.

2.5K? Car allowance si boh? [laugh]

I only $2.5k and I also manage to drive a BMW. Still ok lah I'm sure my girlfriend can do the same

you obviously aren't very well acquainted with automobiles or am i sorely mistaken? your quasi-examples quoted for reasoning is obviously flawed.

Lexus is a enterprise that was entirely budded off as a marketing initiative to target a niche market segment. note here the usage budded off.

All those fanciful pairs which you quote as example. They aren't like what you thought they are. Each of them are individual marquees which have risen out of their own right with independent motoring history, some with engineering breakthroughs to boot. just because they have been bought over by a rival automaker means that it is the same like in the case of Toyota-Lexus. The point is the origin. take heed.

Neutral Newbie

BMW IL-4 is always smooth since quite long time ago. However, u need to drive it hard to maximise it.

I agree. I enjoyed my fiance's 320 very much....

Neutral Newbie

320? aren't we talking about the 323?

Haha, sorry, deviated a bit to say that BMW IL4 is also a good engine.

you obviously aren't very well acquainted with automobiles or am i sorely mistaken? your quasi-examples quoted for reasoning is obviously flawed.

Lexus is a enterprise that was entirely budded off as a marketing initiative to target a niche market segment. note here the usage budded off.

All those fanciful pairs which you quote as example. They aren't like what you thought they are. Each of them are individual marquees which have risen out of their own right with independent motoring history, some with engineering breakthroughs to boot. just because they have been bought over by a rival automaker means that it is the same like in the case of Toyota-Lexus. The point is the origin. take heed.

Is the origin the only point? What about platform sharing? engine sharing? transmission sharing? While each marque has their own origins, there's no denying that many are sharing components; like how the 1.8 Turbo and DSG are shared across Skodai, VW, Audi (known as S-Tronic)..... The new Alfa Milano and Fiat Bravo are using the same platform, an there's also Fiat version of Alfa's "Selespeed"

The IS was the first Global Car for Lexus, meaning you will no longer see a RX in USA, Harrier in Japan type of cars. Lexus has moved on, what is being built as Lexus is purely for Lexus though they will be sharing of technology like what everyone else is doing.

On the contrary, I tend to agree with Jolie88.

When VAG bought over Audi sometime back, slowly but surely, Audi cars began to use VW platforms, engines and shared a common electrical and mechanical parts - sharing the same parts bin (as someone said).

So when you get an Audi today, you will have a TFSI engine, coupled with S-Tronic gear box (DSG in VW speak) and probably with Quattro (4-Motion in VW speak). Same electro-mechanical assisted steering etc.

Thus other than the exterior and dashboard facia may look different, but an Audi car today is most certainly at least 80% (if not more) a glorified VW.

And that should not stop at VW-Audi. The argument transgresses across Skoda and SEAT cars as well!

Similary for Volvos. Their models share the same platforms with Ford and Mazda. E.g. S40 = Focus = Mazda 3 platform. Engines too. The 2.5L TC IL-5 is also found in the Ford Focus ST. That goes for the running gear, suspensions, electricals and all.

The latest Alfa Romeo MiTo has a FIAT TC engine inside, including most of the running gear.

For a world-scale car manufacturer, be it VAG, Ford, or FIAT, it makes a lot of economic sense to have the same OEM parts manufacturer supply them to the various marques that they produce.

Very true. The car manufacturers are taking a leaf from Toyota in reducing production costs by sharing platforms and parts as much as possible. Nothing wrong with that as it makes good business sense.

I have observed that under the bonnet of say an Audi, Skoda, VW and even Lambo, one can see that the hoses are actually labeled as VW in all of them!

End of the day, snob appeal is prevalent in Singapore but times change. Look at Hyundai today with their Genesis and Equus range. 20 years back was the Hyundai Stellar that was a joke!

Similary for Volvos. Their models share the same platforms with Ford and Mazda. E.g. S40 = Focus = Mazda 3 platform. Engines too. The 2.5L TC IL-5 is also found in the Ford Focus ST. That goes for the running gear, suspensions, electricals and all.

Yes.

And Volvo S60 = Ford Mondeo = Mazda 6 platform sharing.

On the seaparate topic of Lexus-Toyota, as brought up in this thread:

In fact, Lexus is now 'better off' in the sense that they have effectively detached the Lexus-Toyota-shared models / image, since the Lexus brand was formally launched in Japan (introduced only in 2005 ... years after the world has already had Lexus since the 90's).

Now, there is no IS250 or GS 300 equivalent in Toyota.

The closest is the Mark X, which uses the IS's 2.5L engine, on a near-similar (but not identical) GS platform.

Similary, the LS460 and the Toyota Crown are worlds apart, like night and day. No compare.

IS250-C is unique.

SC460 is unique.

And I'd expect more Lexus-unique models to be rolled out in future, thereby emphasising Toyota Inc's longer-term objective of segregating their Lexus arm completely from their bread-and-butter Toyota division.

(edited)

Here are some concept cars of lexus.

http://www.lexus.com/fcv/lf_a.html

Any of these looks like a toyota to u?

The LF-A is running on a V10 mind u.

And i believe the poster is already up in Borneo. Hope to see it soon.

Powertrain

Engine: V10 (under 5.0 liters)

Horsepower: More than 500

Top Speed: Approximately 200 MPH

Tire Size

Front: 265/35R20

Rear: 305/30R20

Dimensions (inches)

Overall Length: 175.6

Overall Width: 74.6

Overall Height: 48.0

Wheelbase: 102.3

Looks awesome as well. Especially the roadster.

Edited by Icyfreakass

Aren't four-seater convertibles a terrible experience for rear-seat passengers when top down? There was no way to prevent turbulent airflow from getting into the back. Has one of these models solved the problem?

Now, there is no IS250 or GS 300 equivalent in Toyota.

The closest is the Mark X, which uses the IS's 2.5L engine, on a near-similar (but not identical) GS platform.

Mark X, GS & Crown is sharing the exact platform down to the same wheelbase.

this car below settles it then. IS-F? LF-A? what's that?

<h2 class="posttitle">BMW considering offering M3 GT4 to gentlemen racers</h2>by Damon Lavrinc on Jul 7th 2009 at 9:57AM

02-bmw-m3-gt4-580op.jpg

BMW M3 GT4 - Click above for high-res image gallery

Although BMW's M division may have arguably veered off course with the recent introduction of the X5M and X6M, well-to-do M-ophiles may have something to look forward to in the form of a M3 GT4 available to consumers.

Campaigned at the 24 Hours of N

this car below settles it then. IS-F? LF-A? what's that?

Wasnt tryin to compare lexus with bmw in my previous post. Infact the post was in reply to the person saying toyota = lexus

↡ Advertisement