Nissan Sylphy Feedbacks Please

Sazali

Hi Zepil99,

I do understand that Tan Chong is allow bring my own oil but I dun really trust them after an incident of changing ATF.

Mechanics claimed that they change the ATF but was not reflected or ticked in the Job work sheet. After that incident, I demanded all parts returned (brake pads, air filter, air con filter) and I even do markings on the tires to make sure that the tires are rotated. Whether the parts is serviced or changed OR simply just tick (we also dun know, dun TRUST them anymore)

Since they have already changed the engine oil and without refund, so just drive around for 1,000km and change to a better oil (only S$ 15 labour, oil S$ 50 and filter S$ 8 = S$73)

I noticed that Nissan engine oil starts to turn dark after only 1,000km plus

I understand that Redline and Amsoil is good, but my ride is about 2.5 yrs old (77,000km). I drive a lot so prefer slightly thicker oil 5w30w.

Maybe next round will try Redline or Amsoil, please advise where can I buy these products.

Cheers.

↡ Advertisement

Tan chong first 3 servicings are using mineral oil right?

the first three servicings uses mineral oil is simply because they are free and so they choose cheap oil. obvious right ?

Background:

Stock car with no additives, on Caltex 95, top up full tank with auto-stop. 1 person to 4 person each trip+a heavy baby and booster seat every trip.

These have been my practices to get good FC(or at least try to get good FC) for my selphy

1) Maintain tyre pressure once a week in the morning onli.(Petrol station less than 1km, so should be quite accurate, otherwise one should know pressure before moving off and reaching petrol station to adjust for the difference)

2) No uncessary items in the boot(but of course dont be too hard on yourself if its a family day out at the beach).

3) Average speed in highway: 80 to 85km/h in 2nd lane so that anybody can overtake in 1st lane. (see my previous post on why i do the above speed) i know some would be screaming why so slow? Ans: i enjoying my ride, simple.

4) Watch Traffic condition:

i) maintain safety distance: so that you dont have to "cham" brake on and off. If we do that we need to accelerate again and there is where the fuel consumption increases. If front car brakes, we can just let go accelerator and use engine brake.

ii) cruise if i can to a red traffic light instead of speeding there to wait. But provided car is at sufficient speed already otherwise not so nice to other drivers.

iii) make use of slope of road to roll or to gain speed for subsequent upslope.

5) Top up petrol only early morning.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Hi Bro,

I do the same... my FC is 14km/L for a car thats supposed to be 11-12km/L... Good testimonial to show that the FC of a car depends greatly on individual... u can get decent FC even if u buy a drinker... [:p]

Neutral Newbie

Hi Zepil99,

I do understand that Tan Chong is allow bring my own oil but I dun really trust them after an incident of changing ATF.

Mechanics claimed that they change the ATF but was not reflected or ticked in the Job work sheet. After that incident, I demanded all parts returned (brake pads, air filter, air con filter) and I even do markings on the tires to make sure that the tires are rotated. Whether the parts is serviced or changed OR simply just tick (we also dun know, dun TRUST them anymore)

Since they have already changed the engine oil and without refund, so just drive around for 1,000km and change to a better oil (only S$ 15 labour, oil S$ 50 and filter S$ 8 = S$73)

I noticed that Nissan engine oil starts to turn dark after only 1,000km plus

I understand that Redline and Amsoil is good, but my ride is about 2.5 yrs old (77,000km). I drive a lot so prefer slightly thicker oil 5w30w.

Maybe next round will try Redline or Amsoil, please advise where can I buy these products.

Cheers.

I believe that engine oil will start to turn dark after 1000km..its quite normal..The color does not really indicate if the engine is good or bad..

the first three servicings uses mineral oil is simply because they are free and so they choose cheap oil. obvious right ?

toyota provides synthentic oil for free servicing le as advertised.

anyway if they r giving me 3 servicing for 1k 5k and 10k with mineral oil, i will use it first..then at 15k, i will pay money go change synthetic elsewhere

Neutral Newbie

Driving a sylphy since Feb 2009

Pros

Biggest interior space for any 1.5L (bigger than some 2L)

Nice and quiet interior (non of the others comes close to interior comfort)

Reasonable fuel consumption - i get about 570-580 km on 42L average (13.5 km/l)

Incredibly stable at high speeds

Cons

Bouncy suspension takes a while to get used to (but back seat passengers love it)

Slow pick up - its slightly slower than a altis

Hope this helps !

[cool]

Neutral Newbie

Driving a face-lifted 1.5A sylphy. Now interior is factory fitted with integrated HU and digital climate controls. Interior is very posh and streamlined now. Exterior the same save for grill and signal lights.

Was driving latio 1.5AT previously. Pickup about the same. However, the driving experience was better. Better sound insulation at high speeds and the car handles better. On the same note, the interior and boot are more spacious than latio. One point to take note of is that the steering is actually lighter than the latio!

Overall, still a worthwhile purchase, since the difference between latio and sylphy ain't that great anymore. There are several new colours to choose from too.

Neutral Newbie
[drivingcar] i don't understand. My 1.5 sylphy fuel consumption drop to about 9/litre after the 10k servicing. I use to hit 11.2. Can anyone tell me why???

i quite like the design of sylphy and teana. dont find it uncle. find it classy and teana is more classy than camry and accord imo.

One man meat is another man posion [laugh].

Regards,

Edited by Kelpie

The 1.5 is slightly under-power . the 2.0 is a better choice .

The rear pair absorber is kind of soft and tend to rub against the fender during hump when car is loaded.

However the 1.5 has the best interior among the same cc class car.

Hope this info can help you to decide your choice.

read my experience, do you guys still think sylphy1.5 under power? :D

abt 2 years ago, drove my sunny MT to malayisa with nissan group , on federal road a sylphy 1.5 closely followed me , we were following a slow vehicle at 60km/h to wait chance overtaking it, actually it was not a real chance, based on my experience one car overtaking also was tough job, but i still dropped to 3rd gear and floored throttle nicely overtook the vehicle, though the sylphy had to wait next opportunity liao, coz opposite vehicle alreadi very near, looked at my rear mirror to me surprised, the sylphy 1.5 also after me overtook the slow vehicle, I glance at my speedometer, abt 100km/h, even if opposite vehicle had highbeem [:/]

since that event I have to re-evaluate the 'sylphy1.5 under-power' :o

↡ Advertisement