Different front and rear tires

Pchmj

(edited)

Bought a used car and the last owner only change the front 2 tires 3000 km ago, Yokohama ES501.

Mileage 42k now, thought of bringing the 2 ES501 behind and change the stock rear tires to others like Hankook k415. Is it weird to have 2 different types of tires? Another option is to get another 2 ES501. I'm looking for a quiet tire, is k415 as quiet as the ES501?

Depending if yours is FWD or RWD, usually conti cars with RWD would prefer wider rear tyres for better grips. Eg: ours is using 245/45/17 (rear) and 225/45/17 (front). If however, your car is using all tyres of the same size, than you can do tyre rotation every, say 10,000km. But for FWD, wider front tyre will make your steering heavier, and uncomfortable to drive in a MSCP.

The same goes for those run-flat tyre on the BMWs. Due to their thicker walls, the steering is heavier especially at low speed, but at high speed, the difference is quite negligible.

Edited by Billcoke

nothing wrong with diff brand of tyre for front and rear. Always change tyre in pair.. eg, if u are using tyre A for front, make sure its the same tyre for front left and right.

nothing wrong with diff brand of tyre for front and rear. Always change tyre in pair.. eg, if u are using tyre A for front, make sure its the same tyre for front left and right.

While mixing difference brand is ok, try not to mix different types of tyre, eg: wet road + dry road, or low + high profile.

I believe it may affect your car characteristic during cornering and braking. And also try not to mix old and new tyre, a part older tyre being more worn out, they are harder too.

Depending if yours is FWD or RWD, usually conti cars with RWD would prefer wider rear tyres for better grips. Eg: ours is using 245/45/17 (rear) and 225/45/17 (front). If however, your car is using all tyres of the same size, than you can do tyre rotation every, say 10,000km. But for FWD, wider front tyre will make your steering heavier, and uncomfortable to drive in a MSCP.

The same goes for those run-flat tyre on the BMWs. Due to their thicker walls, the steering is heavier especially at low speed, but at high speed, the difference is quite negligible.

Wat car are you driving? Wouldnt your tire combination mean that your rear tyre is bigger thn your front?

While mixing difference brand is ok, try not to mix different types of tyre, eg: wet road + dry road, or low + high profile.

I believe it may affect your car characteristic during cornering and braking. And also try not to mix old and new tyre, a part older tyre being more worn out, they are harder too.

Cant imagine a car with 4 different rims and 4 different sizes. Confirm draw more attention thn a lambo. [thumbsup]

Hey guys/gals, i was wondering abt brakes and hope that someone can enlighten me.

My car has disc in front and drum at the back. So whn i brake, does the rear drums engage as well? I knw that handbrake is only the rear drums but wat about normal braking?

(edited)

rwd cars need wider tyres behind for better traction and thus less chance of oversteer. you won't believe how easy it is to oversteer for rwd, especially for hard driving.

Edited by Jackson598

Hey guys/gals, i was wondering abt brakes and hope that someone can enlighten me.

My car has disc in front and drum at the back. So whn i brake, does the rear drums engage as well? I knw that handbrake is only the rear drums but wat about normal braking?

Yes the rear drum do engage in normal daily braking. It double up as a hand brake.

Cant imagine a car with 4 different rims and 4 different sizes. Confirm draw more attention thn a lambo. [thumbsup]

If you don't inspect the rim and tyres, you won't feel the difference.

I had rented cars with the above combo, the car drives normal. Only when you start to imagine things, then you feel uneasy. More of a mental thingy.

rwd cars need wider tyres behind for better traction and thus less chance of oversteer. you won't believe how easy it is to oversteer for rwd, especially for hard driving.

Maybe i should get a RWD soon. Which also means i gotta save up alot more. [shakehead]

If you don't inspect the rim and tyres, you won't feel the difference.

I had rented cars with the above combo, the car drives normal. Only when you start to imagine things, then you feel uneasy. More of a mental thingy.

Oh my, i tot the above can only happen in my imagination. [speechless]

Yes the rear drum do engage in normal daily braking. It double up as a hand brake.

Thanks for the info. I feel that the drums are quite weak whn compared to the discs. Think due to that, i would put better tires up front, esp whn mine doesnt have ABS. [speechless][drivingcar]

(edited)

Wat car are you driving? Wouldnt your tire combination mean that your rear tyre is bigger thn your front?

BMW, it is RWD, and yes the rear tyre is slightly wider than the front.

Check out those race cars for 1/4 mile drag race or F1s, their cars usually have bigger rear tyre, which I guess it is for more grip and better pickup. But for drivers like us whom seldom race, so a wider rear tyre may not make a difference in our car performance, the same goes for those rear spoilers.

Edited by Billcoke

My very 1st car was a COE and all four tyres different brand!!! The dealer went to the scrapyard and just fix it on the car n sold it to me. [sweatdrop]

As I was a new driver then, I did not mind as long as there is sufficient thread. But I was wrong, I skidded while coming to a stop at a traffic light on a wet road. Car was slanted at an angle when it came to a stop eventually n everyone was looking at me as if I was trying to do some stunt.

So now I stick to better tyres and ensure all four tyres of the same brand and model. Doing e-brake at 130km/h at Thailand to avoid crashing into a dog was not a problem at all. [thumbsup]

Thatz my story.

My very 1st car was a COE and all four tyres different brand!!! The dealer went to the scrapyard and just fix it on the car n sold it to me. [sweatdrop]

As I was a new driver then, I did not mind as long as there is sufficient thread. But I was wrong, I skidded while coming to a stop at a traffic light on a wet road. Car was slanted at an angle when it came to a stop eventually n everyone was looking at me as if I was trying to do some stunt.

So now I stick to better tyres and ensure all four tyres of the same brand and model. Doing e-brake at 130km/h at Thailand to avoid crashing into a dog was not a problem at all. [thumbsup]

Thatz my story.

Which AD or PI was the car from?

Luckily you were not involved in an accident, else you get blamed for reckless driving, rather than incorrect tyres installed by the supplier.

Which AD or PI was the car from?

Luckily you were not involved in an accident, else you get blamed for reckless driving, rather than incorrect tyres installed by the supplier.

Its a 2nd hand dealer operating from a scrapyard. They no longer exist lah. This was way back in 2002.

Neutral Newbie

Some Continental cars, especially the higher performance models are optimised to have different tyre sizes front and back. the slightly smaller one on front two wheels. For these models, it is probably better to follow the manufacture's guidance. 4 exact same tyres otherwise.

↡ Advertisement