Coolant & radiator water top up

Horsee

Hi,

Do you guys check yr coolant & radiator water & at what km interval.

I just found out that my coolant tank is totally dry out, and there is still 5k to my next servicing.

Thought this water top up can last easily for 10K interval.

Unless there is an leak somewhere???

↡ Advertisement

Hi,

I just found out that my coolant tank is totally dry out, and there is still 5k to my next servicing.

When the water in the radiator heats up it expands. The extra water gets transferred to the expansion tank. When the water cools, it contracts and water from the expansion tank gets suck back into the radiator. So actually radiator water dont really need to top up that often. For mine, I do it once a year.

So for your case there is definitely a leak. Better get a mech to check it out.

Also, if you need to top up, only do it with water only and not the coolant. Improper proportion of coolant will cause the radiator to crack...and that is going to be expensive.

Hi,

Which part did u take a peek? The radiator or de the reservoir? If reservoir wah, ur coolant system leaking somewhere or cap not tighten?

Hi,

I usually check every fortnight or a month. Sometimes at the reservoir, need to top up with little bit of water.

Neutral Newbie

Hi,

Possible ... Leaking somewhere.

I experienced topping up 2X 1L of mineral water into the radiator everyday .. 3rd day i go to STpowered repair at low cost ...

better go to your workshop ASAP to check

You can either top up with coolant or distilled water but before doing you have to check the the radiator water/coolant ratio with anti-freeze PG or EG hydrometer. A 50/50 ratio will be moswt idea for our climate. Coolant whether it's PG or EG are rust inhibitants that means it will help to prevent rust formations and will not cause radiator leak or crack. On the contrary ,lack of coolant will result in rust formation and the radiator cooling tubes will leak or burst when the pressure in the cooling system built up to cap pressure or more

You should be using distilled water and not mineral or public pipe water. Pipe water has cholride which will cause corossion on the metal parts.

You should be using distilled water and not mineral or public pipe water. Pipe water has cholride which will cause corossion on the metal parts.

Where can we get distilled water?

Oops. I have been using tap water.....Will rust be formed inside my cooling system or engine? [sweatdrop]

Neutral Newbie

beri expensive to top up with distill water. I dont think it is necessary. u go petrol kiosk or workshop, they just use tap water.

There is definitely a leak. Probably is the hose. Check any sign of "green" residue

Supersonic

Recently, I found the coolant overflow tank completely dry on two occasions.

I checked the radiator cap and it appeared that the rubber was a little flat.

I changed the cap and so far, the empty tank has not come back.

Neutral Newbie

You can either top up with coolant or distilled water but before doing you have to check the the radiator water/coolant ratio with anti-freeze PG or EG hydrometer. A 50/50 ratio will be moswt idea for our climate. Coolant whether it's PG or EG are rust inhibitants that means it will help to prevent rust formations and will not cause radiator leak or crack. On the contrary ,lack of coolant will result in rust formation and the radiator cooling tubes will leak or burst when the pressure in the cooling system built up to cap pressure or more

whaha ya true ... that time i just go to nearest petrol kiosk to buy any water thats available but only mineral water at the shelf ... but mineral water still better then tap water

Neutral Newbie

Where can we get distilled water?

Oops. I have been using tap water.....Will rust be formed inside my cooling system or engine? [sweatdrop]

most of the petrol kiosk ....

But all the wkshop using tap water till now ... its perfectly fine one .... cars using tap water 120,000km still havent change the radiator ah !!!

Ultimately is your choice ...

Do or pay within your means

Thanks for all the reply..

Will sent to WS to check for leak..

shell is selling premixed coolant, pink color one.

i am using it. whenever coolant is low, just top up with the pink coolant. dun need to get distilled water and worry about the correct mix etc........