Coolant & radiator water top up

Horsee

u can get distilled water from hypermarts.. get those packed in 5.5L bottle.

Thanks. I will keep a lookout.

↡ Advertisement

most of the petrol kiosk ....

But all the wkshop using tap water till now ... its perfectly fine one .... cars using tap water 120,000km still havent change the radiator ah !!!

Ultimately is your choice ...

Do or pay within your means

When I did my coolant change some time ago, I remembered the workshop also use tap water. [sweatdrop]

Hi,

Do you guys check yr coolant & radiator water & at what km interval.

I just found out that my coolant tank is totally dry out, and there is still 5k to my next servicing.

Thought this water top up can last easily for 10K interval.

Unless there is an leak somewhere???

I never check them since I got my car in Aug 2006 and have travelled more then 90k. But my car serviced by agent every 3 months or so.

When purchasing coolant , always check the type of glycol ( and not the colour)whether it's is ethylene glycol or propylene glycol.

actually...just keep a pail of tap water over night and use it the next day to top up...any chlorine will be gone by then....

Uh, I'm quite sure it doesn't work that way - chlorine doesn't "evaporate" away from tap water since it exists as Cl- ions in aqueous form. But maybe there's a better theoretical basis for your observation?

Thing is, the trace amounts of chlorine in tap water probably isn't enough to cause chlorine cracking of the radiator over a span of a mere couple of years. How many years do Singaporeans keep their cars for anyway? Now if you're talking about driving the car till it's 20 years old or longer and you don't wish to have to replace the radiator, then tap water is going to be a bad idea.

Base on my understanding, if one just use tap or rain water without coolant chances corrosion or electrolysis actions ( due to leak current via the radiator) will destroy the radiator tubes within 5years time.Chance of water pump bearing siezure or failure is also high.

Base on my understanding, if one just use tap or rain water without coolant chances corrosion or electrolysis actions ( due to leak current via the radiator) will destroy the radiator tubes within 5years time.Chance of water pump bearing siezure or failure is also high.

Yep that sounds about right. But usually people only top up their coolant maybe at the 2 or 3 year mark when problems start surfacing. Give it another 2 to 3 years before most singaporeans sell their cars, and the problems wouldn't have surfaced. On the other hand, I'm not sure whether newer cars have radiators and hoses designed around such issues. I've been driving old cars around all this while...

it's is very common practice in Spore, most of the car owners don't even lift up the bonnet :D

For almost 20 yrs never bother to lift up the bonnet. Last time, did my own flushing of radiator and changing of brake pads.

Yes now a days radiator top and bottom tank are make from PVC and glue onto the radiator core. If you want better high temp and pressure water hose you can buy racing silicon hose.

Let me revive this thread...

What distilled water do u use to top up coolant??

I checked the Car products section of major hypermarts like giant, but the only water that I can find is Battery Water. Some battery water is ionized, so shld not be added to Coolant.

Are we supposed to go get Distilled Drinking water from the drinks section?? Note that this is distilled water, NOT Mineral water. Look for the ones without any minerals or as little added stuff as possible, ie. as pure as possible.

AM i correct?

Thank you.

There are so many different names on these bottles.

Avoid " Pure Drinking Water", mineral water.

Pure Distilled water or pure water is the right stuff to use.

Check their composition. should be zero

If you frequent MY, it is easier to get from the supermarket.