Diabetes ravages emerging nations in Asia, Africa

Hondacub777

Turbocharged

Actually it's not strange.

I can't remember completely how it works. Not everything is understood but they do understand partly why it works.

But one major part of the surgery when u remove most of the stomach, it affects leptin. Basically these people who are morbidly obese have a satiety hormone, leptin downregulation.

That's why you see those super obese people saying they just can't control what they eat. They just eat and eat.

Anyway don't really blame the obese people.

They just did a study on all the Biggest losers winners. Every single one of them put back on significant weight despite working out and having a much healthier lifestyle.

It's found out that their basal metabolic rate decreased by at least 35% compared to a normal adult. And it never recovers. it's still low years after the initial weight loss.

So u have to eat less than a churchmouse to even prevent back weight gain.

The human body is actively forcing u to gain weight back.

Can die one. No need to go there.

Go exercise and eat like your output, cognitively.

Radical methods for radicals.

All the 黑色会, 这里砍, 那里劈。

Yeeeeeeeeee. 吓死人。

There is no need to get to that stage, oh by the way somewhere over the rainbow, way up high. Go there, such a waste of talent.

↡ Advertisement

Hypersonic

Err, uncle. 
I think your post has a lot of musing/thought behind it. But you really need to structure the way u write your posts.

Think I've mentioned this to you before.

I like the points you've mentioned especially the the last part. But it's really murderous to read. And that's being kind.

Diabetes predisposition is scary.
It is an 'immortal' genetic defect, a 'kill' switch if you will. When it shows up, progeny has been created and the predisposition --- passed on.

Diabetes is the manifestation of said defect predisposition.

The line, ...the force is strong in my family, my father has it, I have it and my sister has it... Can be applied here.

Some questions,
How is our sugar supply regulated? I mean is there a 'sugar' police that ensures the sugar supply is clean as can be for us? Btw where do our sugar come from? What are the points of contact?

The rice? The bread? The milk?

Once I saw a laborer pissing onto the cabbages bound for Singapore market...ho jiak?

It has been documented that women are different, perhaps the esteemed anonymous lokun's mummy has taste for the rare, ala Broccoli being bitter. Thank goodness for most of us, it is not so. I love my broccoli.

Besides the key issue of weak workers resulting in a debilitated Singapore, we have to think about the quality of life for the individual.

Diabetes damage works like an assassin demolishing your body (house). Quiet and efficient damage.

By the time we recognize why we need to look after our diet and health, the boat has literally sailed. We can look forward to misery, despair and the pitiful manner to cling on to life.
The path to the dark side so to speak.
Diabetics are angry and hateful sometimes.

It is a potential national disaster.

White rice is good, it was a luxury food.
It is also backbreaking to grow, tried it for all of four seedlings. Takes a strong back.

It is all about balance, equilibrium.

When we eat like a farmer, we better output like a farmer, no air con, sweat all day, walk all day, aerobic workout like carrying heavy weights, chopping trees, digging in the mud, tending the fruit trees, washing out the 田鸡 (frog) pen....so many things.

I would suggest that we address our diet history in a fun manner.
Identifying what are farmer food and how much exertion is needed, rather than calories, leave the scientific terms for the scientists.

Suggest having healthy hawker centers and labeling unhealthy food as coolie food. Sorry Colonel. You gotta go. Air fryer in.

Hawkers are the group that has to change first. Who to make them change, easiest is government, but who wants to be perceived as the bad guy, politicians always want to be seen as the good guy.
So the smart politician has to suggest to the consumer for change of diet practice delicately.

Diabetes damage is terrible.
For those who suffer it, some are very willing to trade their misery with another person. Can you imagine a person ready to give all your despair/hate to another person? Very dark. That is how bad being ill with diabetes can get.

We understand the sociological impact on the hawkers. Singapore would lose a large revenue source and population displacement. Literally social upheaval.

It's hard, but I guess the message is not for everyone, only for those receptive.

Poor people still eat fried food and be obese. Poverty is caused in part by our natural/historical hang up defects in our thought processes, such as stuck on refusing to change or moderate behavior.

The kampongs are gone but the dark side of the kampong legacy are still around.

Riddle me this, the pig liver, would grandmothers nowadays feed their grandchildren this dish as they themselves were fed as children by their grandmothers?

Besides being a national issue of one billion dollars, it is also an issue of personal quality of life. Ministar has to be delicate, else he get label of kaypoh/ no place for him. Sometimes it is really difficult to be smart, caring and nice. Tough job. Easier to be Dr bu zhi dao grouchy face.

We have to accept that no everyone is equal and that equal dietary rights have major negative consequences.

Consequences in retrospect are really not worth it at all. Very not worth it.

Supersonic

refined and processed food is also the cause of other health issues, not just diabetes.

so now also more conscious about the types of food I buy and consume.

I just buy most of my food from the wet market and not from the supermarket. Even for minced beef/pork, I ask for a cut of the meat first, before the butcher minces it for me.  So, I know exactly what I am getting.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged

Err, uncle.

I think your post has a lot of musing/thought behind it. But you really need to structure the way u write your posts.

Think I've mentioned this to you before.

I like the points you've mentioned especially the the last part. But it's really murderous to read. And that's being kind.

Sor nay! :-p

My England cannot make it because I am from lower end neighborhood school, from the darker ages of monolingual.

Thank you. Will go nlb more often.

That also raises the issue of nlb branch quality and location....a thread perhaps?

(edited)

My previous HBA1c done early last year was 7.3.

After food the readings went as high as 14.

Hence diagnosed as Diabetic & put on Metformin 500mg 2x a day.

In Dec 2015, retook my HBA1c was 5.8. (Lost 25kg weight) on strict Diet.

Fasting blood sugar ranges from 5.3-6.1

Doc took me off my Metformin.

Yest Just took my HBA1c test, result out next week. Lost another 12kg since.

My past week fasting blood sugar ranges btw 4.3-5.5.

My 2hours blood sugar testing is always below 7.

HOWEVER, my 1hour blood sugar random testing especially after consuming

High GI/carbo stuffs like beehoon, basmati rice, brown rice registered 8.9 highest.

A True, healthy non Diabetic person will never spike above 7.8 at any times after a meal even if high GI intake.

As such, i do not think i have Recovered from Diabetes. Merely Controlled it with Diet & weight loss and exercises.

Im resigned to believing my Beta Cells in my Pancreas had suffered Irrevisible Damage. 

How many % of them are Dead forever i have no idea. Can only try save the rest with Strict Discipline prevent Complications.

Hope such a Strict Diet and Lifestyle changes over next few Years can eventually help reverse some of the Lost/Damaged Beta Cells?

Keeping my fingers Crossed for a Lower HBA1c result next week.

Just sharing i'm also off my Hypertensive Med recently past 1mth after being on them for 5yrs.

My BP taken at the Doc while testing for my HBA1c was 107/71. Heartbeat 73.

So, base on my own experiences and sharing, fellow sufferers from Diabetes & High BP,

despair not. A Healthy Diet, healthy BMI of 19-23, exercises, No Smoking (i quit 2yrs alr) and little to no alcohol helps!

Engage a Nutritionist if you're clueless what to eat. After a few months u will get used to the New Diet.

FYI my peak weight was 110kg at 171cm last year. Now i'm 73kg. Targeting to drop another 10kg.  [:p]

Im only 36 by the way… Good health to ALL!!!  [drivingcar]

Cheers!

[;)]

Edited by Eric4285
  • Praise 7

Turbocharged

Inspiring Bro  [thumbsup]

My previous HBA1c done early last year was 7.3.

After food the readings went as high as 14.

Hence diagnosed as Diabetic & put on Metformin 500mg 2x a day.

In Dec 2015, retook my HBA1c was 5.8. (Lost 25kg weight) on strict Diet.

Fasting blood sugar ranges from 5.3-6.1

Doc took me off my Metformin.

Yest Just took my HBA1c test, result out next week. Lost another 12kg since.

My past week fasting blood sugar ranges btw 4.3-5.5.

My 2hours blood sugar testing is always below 7.

HOWEVER, my 1hour blood sugar random testing especially after consuming

High GI/carbo stuffs like beehoon, basmati rice, brown rice registered 8.9 highest.

A True, healthy non Diabetic person will never spike above 7.8 at any times after a meal even if high GI intake.

As such, i do not think i have Recovered from Diabetes. Merely Controlled it with Diet & weight loss and exercises.

Im resigned to believing my Beta Cells in my Pancreas had suffered Irrevisible Damage. 

How many % of them are Dead forever i have no idea. Can only try save the rest with Strict Discipline prevent Complications.

Hope such a Strict Diet and Lifestyle changes over next few Years can eventually help reverse some of the Lost/Damaged Beta Cells?

Keeping my fingers Crossed for a Lower HBA1c result next week.

Just sharing i'm also off my Hypertensive Med recently past 1mth after being on them for 5yrs.

My BP taken at the Doc while testing for my HBA1c was 107/71. Heartbeat 73.

So, base on my own experiences and sharing, fellow sufferers from Diabetes & High BP,

despair not. A Healthy Diet, healthy BMI of 19-23, exercises, No Smoking (i quit 2yrs alr) and little to no alcohol helps!

Engage a Nutritionist if you're clueless what to eat. After a few months u will get used to the New Diet.

FYI my peak weight was 110kg at 171cm last year. Now i'm 73kg. Targeting to drop another 10kg.  [:p]

Im only 36 by the way… Good health to ALL!!!  [drivingcar]

Cheers!

[;)]

Twincharged

Actually other than the usual rice. Whose taste and probably texture we are accustomed to from young.

There are other kinds of grains on the market shelf, maybe could substitute. . But don't know effective or not. Or taste acceptable boh..

Basmati rice + Quinoa on a ratio of 2-1 for me.

Easier to adapt compare to Unpolished Brown rice.

But Key is dun eat 1bowl. For me is 1/3 bowl.

Non diabetic 1bowl should be fine.

1/2 bowl to 3/4 would be Perfect!

• Praise 1

Eat less because we need less carbohydrates if just sit in the office most of the time. If actually needed (through exercise or other physical activity) but don't eat or eat too little I think can also cause low blood glucose. Doctors, is this right ? @Lala81

I'm not a Doctor but it's not so common for a Healthy person to have Low Blood Glucose i.e.: below 4mmol

unless you really eat little/no carbohydrates and is physically very Active. A lot of Food contains Carbohydrate. Even vegetables.

I eat 5 meals a day. My breakfast and dinner is sightly more. The others are usually snacks like Fruits or Vegetables or both.

It's actually good to eat every 2-3hours be it for Diabetic or Non Diabetic rather than 3 standard/large meals.

This can help prevent Hypoglycemia regardless whether you are Diabetic or not.

I snack on mainly Apples, Pears, Watermelon, occasional Banana for more Energy, Japanese cucumbers, celery & carrots.

2x a week i juice 1/2 Avocado, spinach, celery, 1/2 carrot, 1/2 kiwi, strawberries & 100ml Skim Milk with my Nutri Bullet.

• Praise 3

Hypersonic
(edited)

Eat less because we need less carbohydrates if just sit in the office most of the time. If actually needed (through exercise or other physical activity) but don't eat or eat too little I think can also cause low blood glucose. Doctors, is this right ? @Lala81

Hmm you can, but it will never really go too low unless bad starvation.

Like those anorexics.

More likely you will feel incredibly hungry even before then. And gastric pains etc. If you ignore then u can go sub <4 mmol/L, then the symptoms of low sugar will kick in. Giddy, sweating etc.

For exercise, you would need to deplete the immediate glucose in the blood, then your glycogen storage in your liver will kick in.

Unless it's really prolonged exertion like marathon or what, not really.

Of course if you are not used to exertion or weak from whatever reason or diabetic, you have to be careful.\

Most people feel giddy or faint from dehydration/heat exhaustion.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 3

Hypersonic

Actually other than the usual rice. Whose taste and probably texture we are accustomed to from young.

There are other kinds of grains on the market shelf, maybe could substitute. . But don't know effective or not. Or taste acceptable boh..

you can eat basmati. but it's not fragrant like the thai hom mali we are used to. At least not without adding spices like what the Indians/Malays do.

Hypersonic

Its good that many are so forthcoming with their issues mentioning their experiences, age, lifestyle changes due to this so called "life sentence" for a lack of any better words and overcoming it; It really hurts when you are young (as in like 30's) when there is so much going ahead of you in your prime and you have to try to take care of your Organs carefully to avoid any high and lows in the blood sugar levels which can do irrepairable damage to them on the quiet; I know my experience, my Mum has it for now 54 years and her eyes were badly affected over the last 10 years very badly; She used to travel the world so much; all came to an abrupt halt with now last 5 years with glucoma setting in;

As a young kid i remember like she had a "small lab" like thing just behind the toilet with her so called test tubes and spirit burner and everyday she would record down in her so called "blue record" book the colour if green, yellow or amber to then the paper type and now digital glucocheck meter.

Both me and sister don't have it so far (I don't know which God to thank for!! )   but many of my cousins have it; I guess its from the awareness that Mum had it - being the Home Minister - everyone's diet changed over the years and after my Dad died of a sudden heart attack at 55 we became even more scared as one of my cousins never made it beyond 40 and another 3 of them had stents at ages of 40 too implanted. So both me and her feel like we are like walking time bombs; But we exercise a lot and by that I mean we both do lots of running/cardio and by that I mean we are willing to sacrifice our limbs for our hearts and keep that Diabetes at bay; We both eat lots of sugar laced foods like ice creams and chocolates but we both take our morning/ afternoon  cuppa neat - without sugar somehow over the last 10 years ; and then whack chocolates and ice creams and cakes;        

• Praise 3

Hypersonic

Sor nay! :-p

My England cannot make it because I am from lower end neighborhood school, from the darker ages of monolingual.

Thank you. Will go nlb more often.

That also raises the issue of nlb branch quality and location....a thread perhaps?

From a period when we have datsun on the road.
  • Praise 1

Hypersonic

I'm running 3 times a week, and in between did some core muscle strength exercises, and I taking in less rice or carbo than my sedentary lifestyle colleagues and still have energy to spare. I certainly think that full plate of rice/noodle three times a day if one don't exercise is too much calories.

Hypersonic

From a period when we have datsun on the road.

Datsuns must have been on the road since like early '60's; I remember taking driving classes in the Datsun 1000 ( was that the model??) and this car clutch was much more lighter and steering also compared to the Morris Minors in those days   - this were the 2 most popular car models for learner drivers  

Hypersonic

I'm running 3 times a week, and in between did some core muscle strength exercises, and I taking in less rice or carbo than my sedentary lifestyle colleagues and still have energy to spare. I certainly think that full plate of rice/noodle three times a day if one don't exercise is too much calories.

I remember an endocrinologist giving us a talk/lecture.

He said 90% of all singaporeans can comfortably eat less. 

• Praise 1

Supersonic

If you worked in a office, you probably should eat less white rice.

If you're construction worker, you'll need all the rice you can eat.

• Praise 2

Hypersonic

If you worked in a office, you probably should eat less white rice.

If you're construction worker, you'll need all the rice you can eat.

I have seen those PRC workers eating huge amount of rice. I think around two full plate of rice, with little dish. Some add on their home cooked rice onto their econmical rice.. They do need their energy.. But typical office singaporean even one plate of rice per meal is too muc. I always asked for half portion of rice. 

↡ Advertisement