Jump Start For Other

Jaason

Neutral Newbie

Neighbour car's battery went flat. Help him to jump start with my new car.

Does it damage my car in anyway? I.e.... the high rev made?

Your experience & views please.

↡ Advertisement

Neighbour car's battery went flat. Help him to jump start with my new car.

Does it damage my car in anyway? I.e.... the high rev made?

Your experience & views please.

help strangers 3 times so far. car 4 years old. no problem

why jump start got high revs?

Neutral Newbie

why jump start got high revs?

Neighbour's car batter kind of totally flat. Hence, have to step on accelerate (rev high) for a few long stretch session.

If you wire up the jumper cables wrongly you could potentially cause damage to both cars. Done correctly there shouldn't be any problems at all.

The donor car just needs the engine to be running, need not high rev. The dead car just needs the current to help the starter motor get going. No need high rev either. Just let it idle and charge up the battery again, or drive somewhere to have the battery changed, depending on what caused the dead battery in the first place.

Neutral Newbie
(edited)

Okay I used to drive a '63 VW Beetle back in Australia and every morning I'll lug a car battery out from the garage to jump-start my car. [laugh] Good memories.

Anyway, couple of things -> NO NEED TO TURN ON YOUR ENGINE TO JUMP START CAR!! No need to rev, your car don't need to do anything but have a battery with a charge in it. In fact, it might be safer to turn off everything and then connect the jump cables to your neighbor's car to jump-start.

Black-to-Black, Red-to-Red, it does not get any more simpler than this. Don't cross the cables, keep the cables well-separated. Make sure you watch out for your own safety too.

Once your neighbor's car is started, leave the cables connected for awhile, and let him rev the engine (in case it sputters and dies). Once confirm all okay, disconnect, and ask your neighbor for a treat. :D

Essentially, the idea of a jump-start assist is to help start another car whose battery is totally flat. Nothing to do with engine revving and all other mumbo-jumbo - just transferrance of electricity to spark the engine pistons, and then once it is going, job done.

Edited by CarsNStars

Jump starting pre-onboard-computer cars is a common practice but to do it with cars equipped with so many computerised on-onboard components is a risk one should not take unless you have the knowledge and right tools. You just have no way to claim damages if you "BBQ" yr car electronic components in the jumping process but the other party will surely hold you neck if his or her car is damaged.

Jump starting will require about 60amp instant surge ( depending on car's engine cc) and if the high amp is not correctly directed the surge will stray and may end up frying yr on-board car computer and that means at least a few $K will be washed down the drain.

If the other party's battery charge is far too low the demand on the assist car's battery and electrical charging system will be very high and sometimes will cause the jump cables to heat up and melt if the amperage rating is low.

If you want to jump start, always measure the other party car battery voltage - any charge below 6 volt ( rule of thumb) is dangerous.

Always use high quality at least 80amp rating jump cables with electrical surge arrestor.

The assist car's engine rpm should be increase to 2500rpm to start the alternator charging process so as to provide the necessary amp into the battery if there is a high sudden amp demand on its battery when the jump start is activated.

Okay I used to drive a '63 VW Beetle back in Australia and every morning I'll lug a car battery out from the garage to jump-start my car. [laugh] Good memories.

Anyway, couple of things -> NO NEED TO TURN ON YOUR ENGINE TO JUMP START CAR!! No need to rev, your car don't need to do anything but have a battery with a charge in it. In fact, it might be safer to turn off everything and then connect the jump cables to your neighbor's car to jump-start.

Black-to-Black, Red-to-Red, it does not get any more simpler than this. Don't cross the cables, keep the cables well-separated. Make sure you watch out for your own safety too.

Once your neighbor's car is started, leave the cables connected for awhile, and let him rev the engine (in case it sputters and dies). Once confirm all okay, disconnect, and ask your neighbor for a treat. :D

Essentially, the idea of a jump-start assist is to help start another car whose battery is totally flat. Nothing to do with engine revving and all other mumbo-jumbo - just transferrance of electricity to spark the engine pistons, and then once it is going, job done.

You gave about the best description to jump start a car with a dead or near dead battery.

I just jump start a car and in addition gave the following advice. When you drive your car to a tyre shop or petrol station to have your battery check, leave the engine off for about 20 minutes and restart the engine. If it restart without any problem, maybe you do not have a problem and thereafter the next and subsequent restart should not be more than 24 hours.

If after charging at shop or have battery changed, problem persist - check the alternator [furious]

Shouldn't it be connect the other end of the negative cable to metal on the engine block on the car with the dead battery instead??

Someone told me the neg/black cable on donor end should not be connected to the batt but to other metal parts else the donor batt may ne fried? True bros?

When connecting jumper cables, you are actually connecting two similar voltage batteries together in a parallel connection - this means the voltage remain the same for both batteries. Start with the positive cable ( red) , clamp onto the assist car battery positive terminal. Do the same to the other car.

Connect the negative cable to the assist car battery terminal and do the same to the other.

Electrical current will always take the flow path with the least resistance therefore it is good to always connect the negative direct to battery terminal. Pl always check that both batteries cell caps are screw down properly because any arcing caused by connecting the cables or bad connections , and if any arcing spark happen to land in any one cell, an explosion cannot be rule out.

PS Connecting the negative cable to car chassis will only reduce the assist car battery voltage - in mechanic's trade term , it is know as voltage drop

Jump starting pre-onboard-computer cars is a common practice but to do it with cars equipped with so many computerised on-onboard components is a risk one should not take unless you have the knowledge and right tools. You just have no way to claim damages if you "BBQ" yr car electronic components in the jumping process but the other party will surely hold you neck if his or her car is damaged.

Jump starting will require about 60amp instant surge ( depending on car's engine cc) and if the high amp is not correctly directed the surge will stray and may end up frying yr on-board car computer and that means at least a few $K will be washed down the drain.

If the other party's battery charge is far too low the demand on the assist car's battery and electrical charging system will be very high and sometimes will cause the jump cables to heat up and melt if the amperage rating is low.

If you want to jump start, always measure the other party car battery voltage - any charge below 6 volt ( rule of thumb) is dangerous.

Always use high quality at least 80amp rating jump cables with electrical surge arrestor.

The assist car's engine rpm should be increase to 2500rpm to start the alternator charging process so as to provide the necessary amp into the battery if there is a high sudden amp demand on its battery when the jump start is activated.

very informative reply bro [thumbsup]

you're in the car industry ah?

↡ Advertisement